1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Garrett expectations?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by JackWagon, Jun 24, 2013.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,236 Messages
    2,990 Likes Received
    Putting a team together is more than a QB if you can't figure that out don't bother. A sport that is called the ultimate team sports is more than a fricken QB. If you don't don't think a HC deserves at least 3 years then fine that is you that is your view and one I don't share. I have no special loyalty to Garrett only a respect for the profession he is in.
  2. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

10,853 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    Putting a great team together all starts with having a great QB. The Cowboys became one of the greatest teams of the 70's because they had one of the greatest QB's to ever play the game. The Cowboys were known as bridesmaids until Roger Staubach came along. Remove Staubach from those teams and the Cowboys would have continued being bridesmaids. Agree or disagree? The 3 greatest teams the Cowboys ever put together in the 90's all started by drafting a great QB. Teams build around their QB and practically every great HC who's in the HOF had a HOF QB.

A QB is what drives a team. Bill Belichick would probably be a coordinator somewhere if Tom Brady hadn't come along. More is put on the plate of a QB than ever before because the NFL is a passing league. No player on a team determines the outcome of more games than a QB. Remove Brady from NE and Rodgers from GB and you think they would be the same teams?

Seattle became a serious contender in one year because they finally found a QB. Washington had been spinning their wheels for over a decade and turned it all around in one year because they finally found a QB. Indy just went from a bumbling, stumbling 2 win team in 2011 to a 11 win contender in 2012 because they found QB. The last 4 SB MVP's have all been QB's. Can you name one division winning team from 2012 that didn't have a good QB situation? By the way show me a post where I said a HC doesn't deserve 3 years?
  3. Doomsday101

77,236 Messages
    2,990 Likes Received
    QB is important who said it wasn't but it is still one part of many. Aikman got his butt kicked and beat to hell until we got help until we built a team and at that point we won. So don't give me the BS as if oh it is just the QB it is a hell of a lot more if you don't understand that then again don't bother because this conversation is not worth it. As for the MVP of the SB being QB? So fricken what the honor always goes QB or RB seldom do others get the honor regardless if they deserve it or not.
  4. KJJ

10,853 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    No one is saying other parts of the team aren't important but in todays game you're not going to win crap regardless of the team you have without a solid QB. Every SB the past few seasons have come down to QB's having to make plays to win. Answer the question would NE and GB be the teams they are without Brady and Rodgers? Long gone are the days of winning championships with bus drivers like Dilfer and Brad Johnson. Defenses can't hold up to the passing attacks we're seeing in todays game. The rule changes such as player safety rules have handicapped defenses. We just saw a team with a 2100 yard rusher get knocked off in the playoffs because they got crappy play from their QB.

The Ravens just won a SB with one of the weakest defenses they've had in years all because Joe Flacco went from a bus driver to a QB who just had one of the greatest postseason performances of any QB in history. Since Brad Johnson won a SB in 02 every QB that's won a SB since except Flacco is building a HOF resume. If Flacco continues to win playoff games and adds another SB win or 2 he may have a HOF resume by the time his career ends.
  5. Doomsday101

77,236 Messages
    2,990 Likes Received
    QB no doubt is important, I think Rodgers is the best so then why 1 SB with his talent they should have more but then maybe because of other weakness. You can go on all day if you choose I have said Garrett should have 3 years to get the program turned around this is year 3 if he fails that is on him. Championships are team accomplishments and while QB is important championships take a lot other things to come about.

Dallas has in my view a very good QB we also have areas of major weakness it is Garrett job to get it turned around he either will and this team will win or he won't and will likely be gone. Myself I hope he can get the job done I'm more interested in seeing the team win not some personal attack by idiot fans who could not coach their way out of a paper bag and yet seem to know it all. Give it rest.
  6. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,404 Messages
    1,639 Likes Received
    I sometimes get the feeling that some or most of the posters on here have never played organized sports. And, before I get asked, yes I have played organized sports for the University of New Mexico.

And too many posters ALWAYS think in terms of static thoughts when any organized team is dynamic, not static, but then again, I doubt they know what that means.
  7. KJJ

10,853 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    Rodgers is considered the best by many because of his numbers and because the Packers live and die off his arm. In 2011 GB went 15-1 and the only game they lost was due to Rodgers only bad game during the regular season. The Packers got knocked off in the playoffs later that year because Rodgers was off again and got outplayed by Eli. Last season the Packers got knocked off by SF in the playoffs because Kaepernick outplayed Rodgers. Kaepernick put up 444 total yards with his arm and legs his performance was the difference in the game. The playoffs and especially the SB have become a QB duel and whichever QB plays better their team usually wins.

Go back to last years postseason and see if you can find one QB who won a playoff game being outperformed by the opposing QB. The Cowboys have a very good QB who unfortunately is never very good in elimination games. He has 12 turnovers in his 6 elimination game losses. The Ravens wouldn't have won crap last season had Flacco's game not taken off in the playoffs. One mistake by Flacco probably would have cost the Ravens the SB. Flacco was terrific in postseason and had to be with a Ravens defense that ranked only 2 spots higher than the Cowboys during the regular season.

The Ravens D ranked 8th during the playoffs. In the SB the Ravens D gave up 468 total yards and Ray Rice only managed 59 yards rushing averaging 3.0 per carry. The game was put on Flacco and he delivered. As for Garrett you keep harping post after post that he should be given 3 years AGAIN where did I say he shouldn't? Head coaches who suffer through back to back 8-8 seasons and make glaring coaching miscues that cost their teams games are going to get criticized by fans and the media. Garrett has yet to show he can coach his way out of a paper bag yet and he has one more year to do it.
  8. 5Stars

26,404 Messages
    1,639 Likes Received
    You're right...the Giants and the 49'ers defenses had nothing to do with those losses. smh

And I guess the undefeated Patriots lost the SB because Brady had a bad game, huh?

Tunnel vision at it's finest display.
  9. mrmojo

mrmojo Well-Known Member

1,156 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    I expect Garrett to get us to the playoffs this year at a bare minimum anything less would be more of the same and Jerry Jones will have to make a coaching decision. This will be his 3rd full season and this could be his best chance yet with the changes that have been made in the off season. I totally expect the defense to be much better and our offensive line to protect Tony better and open up lanes for DeMarco. The Giants are always a threat, Washington has momentum from making playoffs last year and the Eagles will be better just because of the new coaching staff.
    5Stars likes this.
  10. 5Stars

26,404 Messages
    1,639 Likes Received
    But, those things have nothing to do with the team, it's the QB that has to do all the work to be a successful football team...at least that is what some want to think.

:cool:
  11. KJJ

10,853 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    Most seem to be in agreement that if the Cowboys miss the playoffs in 2013 Garrett is gone but if the Cowboys miss the playoffs at 9-7 or 10-6 the improved record might be just enough for Jerry to hang on to Garrett another season. Jerry would have a good argument to keep him with the team coming off a winning season for the first time in 4 years and knowing that the last 2 SB winning teams the Giants and Ravens were 9-7 and 10-6.

I'll go on record now if the Cowboys go 10-6 and still miss the playoffs Garrett will be back in 2014. Even with the lack of faith I have in him if the team improves to 10-6 you pretty much have to give him another year with the arrow finally pointing up regardless if the Cowboys miss the playoffs.
  12. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    So everyone thinks he stays the whole season and then if he gets better than 8-8 (9-7 or even 10-6) ... even without the playoffs ... he is probably around again at least in 2014.
  13. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,705 Messages
    3,925 Likes Received
    I think you have to see improvement and that's not always reflected in your W-L record. If I were Garrett I'd be hoping for at least 9-7 though and the playoffs wouldn't hurt things at all.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    i'll go on record right now to say

at 8-8 or better garrett stays at least another year if not more (just chalk it up as another mediocre season for a team, FO, and fan base that has come to accept and even reward mediocrity)

at 8-8 the usual suspects on this board will come up with convenient excuses to explain away the poor performance

the only way garrett gets fired is if "the team quits on him" or we go 6-10 (highly unlikely)

so, buckle up, or get down on bended knee (as your preference might be)
  15. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,299 Messages
    4,462 Likes Received
    Something forgotten on most who only judge by the W-L record.
    5Stars likes this.
  16. Doomsday101

77,236 Messages
    2,990 Likes Received
    True but I do think improvment without results such as W/L will not save Garrett. I'm pulling for Jason and I want to see him be the Cowboys HC for many years but there comes a point that W/L are what matters. In my view the time is now.
  17. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received

can you please remind me what the objective of playing an NFL football game is?

is it to win or is it to just play the game?

while youre at it, please also remind me how many SBs were given away to the losing team

perhaps there is an obtuse reason why some of judge the performance of the team by the W-L record?

just a thought
  18. Doomsday101

77,236 Messages
    2,990 Likes Received
    I don't think it is that black and white. If a team in year 1 of the HC was 1-15 and the following year he goes 8-8 that is significant improvement and does matter. Cowboys and Garrett situation is a bit different, we have come close but have not gotten over the hump now in year 3 getting over the hump in my view is the differance of Garrett remaining or losing his job.
  19. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,621 Messages
    6,389 Likes Received
    You know, not everything you post needs to be posted with a goal of harassing or antagonizing other groups on CZ, visionary. You should be able to make your points without resorting to constant unpleasant digs at other fans.
  20. JackWagon

JackWagon Well-Known Member

1,394 Messages
    114 Likes Received
    Guys ... improvement in the team is usually accompanied by a better W-L record .... at least that's what i've seen through my years of watching football.