1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Garrett get puppetized

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,267 Messages
    470 Likes Received
    Your crystal ball is flawed.
  2. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    I appreciate your asking my opinion. Of course, it doesn't matter what I think, but it would be hard to justify keeping him after another mediocre season. I guess a lot depends on why. I try to look at it objectively. Did we fail miserably at the end? Did he make a lot of poor decisions that led to losing games? What if we go 8-8, but somehow still make the playoffs? What if we go 10-6, but miss out?

I'm not typically this big of a defender of the coach. I wanted Switzer gone. Wanted Campo gone. Never really wanted Wade in the first place. Same with Ryan. But for whatever reason, I believe in Garrett. Maybe I just really want to. I think he's making good decisions with personnel (for the most part) and the overall direction of the team, and I see the team buying into it. I'm happy about him giving up play calling and being a head coach. Not because I don't like his play calling, but because I think doing both is too much for him, and I believe he will excel at just being the head coach.

But another season like the last two, I think I'd be foolish not to consider a change.
  3. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

He'd rather have a 'walk around' headcoach than admit that his hand selected golden boy prodigy was a massive mistake, so he has basically turned Garrett into a gelding in one last ditch attempt to prove everyone else wrong.
  4. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Might have been easier if JG hadn't publicly stated at the end of the season he didn't feel it was necessary...coming off a disappointing offensive performance.

Time will tell if this was the right decision but something needed to change.
    I trust that JG wants what is best for the team and I'm ok with giving Callahan a shot
  5. Picksix

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    I might be wrong, but I don't remember him saying that. I do remember him saying that he didn't foresee a change. But if he did, yeah that's definitely inconsistent.
  6. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,229 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Foolish premise...most head coaches do not make all the O or D calls during games. JG was the OC calling the offense before becoming head coach, so Jerry wanted him to continue for continuity since the team finished his interim season strong, and Jason probably wanted to try; but he clearly has made mistakes with game management and getting plays in on time. I think his inability to do both had a bigger impact on this decision than the offense's lack of success.

This does not, in any way, make a puppet of the head coach...if anything, it gives him more job security in Dallas and a greater opportunity to prove he can push all the right buttons as a head coach.
  7. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Its called the booby prize. The shame is that jerry didnt have the stones to fire Garrett completely. At the very least, we get the next best thing is to cut him out of the offense which he was absolutely aweful at. Im not sure what he is actually good at other than giving boring answers and dull press conferences. Thats about it.
  8. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    Well said. And the most laughable part is that Jerry hasnt even figured out who is going to call plays. All he knows is that Garrett is no longer doing it. LOL
    I guess that was the most important part and he will worry about the rest later.
  9. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    At what point are you going to admit and accept that the Garrett experiment was always and is now a complete joke? How bad does a coach have to perform for you to turn on him or not like him? Honestly

Even is bigggest supporter with the most to lose is all but admitting he made a big mistake. Its getting to the point where its obvious you will blindly follow any coach regardless of record, performance, or flaws.

I call that a casual fan. Are you a casual fan?
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Babe just said Jason is going to have to work extra hard this year to convince the players he is in charge.

Terrific way to run an organization.

Thx alot jones family. You frigging suck.
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,567 Messages
    1,660 Likes Received
    That's my fear.

Where there's smoke, there's fire.
  12. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,142 Messages
    533 Likes Received
    Thanks for your answer bro, I really hope we turn it around next season, if not I'd be pretty surprised not to mention mad if JG is the HC one year from today.
  13. Picksix

4,606 Messages
    631 Likes Received
    I doubt he cares what you call it.

Who has the most to lose? Jones? He's the owner of a billion dollar franchise, that depsite nearly two decades of mediocrity, is still the most valuable franchise in North America. He ain't losing jack.

Glad Tex Schramm didn't think the way you do when he hired Landry.
  14. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    They won't bail on him. They just want to party.
  15. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,241 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I think its clear now Jerry is making every possible move this off-season. In all of my years of following the off-season, I have never seen a GM/Owner undermine the HC on this level before. Its almost ridiculous Jerry would do this then send Jason out there each Sunday and expect the team to 'buy in' to his program. He would do Jason a huge favor if he just fired him and let Jason rebuild his credibility somewhere else.
  16. DandyDon1722

DandyDon1722 It's been a good 'un, ain't it?

1,854 Messages
    374 Likes Received
    Completely agree - very astute. I think it was clearly evident that something changed with the way the team fought at the end of games this year and JG has to be given credit for that. So let's assume that this new found mental toughness continues and even gets better with the burden of play calling gone (regardless of how it happened) I think this is a win/win for the organization.
  17. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,115 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    If the choice was letting the Red Headed Idiot flounder away running the offense for another wasted year or Jerry stepping in and correcting a major problem, I will take Jerry's making Jason a "puppet" any day of the week. We have wasted too many years on Jason running the offense. If it isn't working fix it. Giving up control of the offense may be the best thing that ever happened to Jason Garrett the HEAD COACH of the Dallas Cowboys.
  18. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,319 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    No win situation for fans of this team. Some of these actions are indeed necessary, but Jerry has done his best to sabotage the team while at the same time attempting to improve them.

If the man had ever in his egotistical blowhard life learned to stop spewing in front of cameras and do things the right way, then quite a few people might be applauding the staff changes Garrett is making instead of talking about how Jerry has pulled the authoritative rug out from under him.
  19. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,229 Messages
    199 Likes Received
    Even Jimmy Johnson, who coached neither offense nor defense, went through, what? Three OCs before finding the right one in Norv?

Who cares that in this case the play caller was JG. Has his strength as head coach been in play calling and game management together? No

Has his strength been in setting a philosophy and identity for the Cowboys and getting talented players to play hard and be accountable? Yes

So now he will give more time to his strengths and hopefully manage game situations better while someone else calls in the plays that still must be executed by the players. In my opinion, coaching has always been just as much or more about coaching execution as it is about X's and O's.
  20. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    So what exactly is the Cowboys identity?

Is it really all that impressive that millionaires are trying at their profession?