1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Garrett Has Had Full Autonomy Over the Offense For 6 Years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Beast_from_East, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,474 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    And in year 6 the Cowboys were ranked lower in offensive points scored than in any other season since Garrett joined the staff.

So how is this progress?

Come to think of it, how is following an 8-8 season with another 8-8 season considered progress?

There is no way in hell Jerry can sell this crap to the fans and expect us to buy it. Jerry knows he has to do something big, cant market this crap "as is" and expect an enthusiastic fan base.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,586 Messages
    9,751 Likes Received
    He has not had full autonomy over the players picked for 6 years. He did not create this OL debacle.

This is a player issue. To blame the OC for 4 years and head coach for the last 2 is foolish.
  3. rags747

rags747 Well-Known Member

1,127 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    Jason's long ball Coryell offense needs a running game and an OL to work imo. All of these long routes when the other team knows that u cannot run the ball just does not fly.

If somehow we could add two studs to the OL, add a rb and actually start running the ball then this offense will work. Jason's offense is all based off of the 90's teams...BUT, they had an OL that took no prisoners and they had Emmit.

Elway did squat until the Broncs put together a running game with Davis. Until that time he was Mr Choke. Surprising how once he got a running game at the age of 37 or so he now wins TWO SB"s. Romo can do the same...The man needs some help.
  4. Beast_from_East

15,474 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    Well that is word for word what Jerry said, that Garrett has had "full autonomy" for 6 seasons.

Since Jerry is the guy signing the checks, his opinion kinda trumps all others.
  5. Risen Star

22,586 Messages
    9,751 Likes Received
    I don't need an opinion to know an offensive coordinator doesn't dictate personnel moves. You made an assumption based off of one statement. Never in the history of the league has an offensive coordinator ran a war room or made final determinations on free agent signings.

What he meant was it's been Garrett's offense for 6 years, which is true. The players in that offense have not been his. He inherited the slop we call an OL today.
  6. Beast_from_East

15,474 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    I dont think Jerry sees it like that.

Garrett sits right beside Jerry in the war room on draft day and to think he has not had any input at all into personnel along the o-line is a reach I think.

You telling me Jerry just signed Livings and Bernaduo without Garrett's blessing or knowledge? Sorry, dont buy it and I dont think Jerry does either.

I maybe wrong, I guess we shall see in the coming days or weeks how much blame Garrett is really getting, especially if a new OC is hired to call the plays.
  7. Risen Star

22,586 Messages
    9,751 Likes Received
    An OC is way down the totem pole of decision makers on the team. Whether Garrett wanted to sign Livings or Bernadeau is besides the point. He inherited a situation so devoid of talent along the OL that somebody had to be signed. He didn't create that. The GM created that. The VP of Personnel created that. The last two head coaches created that. To blame the guy coordinating the offense most of the last 6 years is laughable. This is the kind of stuff that gives fans a bad name.

Of course you've now gone from full autonomy to some input when challenged. Sure he's had some input. Very little as an OC, more as the HC the last 2 years. That didn't create this OL debacle. Nor the DL being almost in the same state, for that matter. That's what's holding this team back and most of that blood isn't on Garrett's hands.
  8. Beast_from_East

15,474 Messages
    2,894 Likes Received
    Maybe you missed something......JERRY SAID GARRETT HAS HAD FULL AUTONOMY FOR 6 YEARS

I have not changed from anything, this is not my statement. I am simply stating what Jerry said word for word. You also have challenged jack, because you are trying to refute actual quotes from Jerry and apply what you think he meant.

Like I said, it really doesnt matter what you think Jerry meant or who you think is at fault, since you dont sign the checks and Jerry does I will defer to him.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,851 Messages
    2,332 Likes Received
    go back to the press conference jerry had when he hired jason

he said something to the effect that 'there will be NO ONE on the team that jason does not want'

the "Garrett Faithful" will not hear of this though
  10. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    He picked Felix over Mendenhall when he was an OC.
  11. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,960 Messages
    513 Likes Received
    The Romo/Garrett supporters never cease to amaze me! Yes Elway didn't win a Super Bowl until he had a running game with Davis but making 3 Super Bowls prior to that is no small feat imo! Does "The Drive" not ring a bell to you?! I'm born and raised in Cleveland so I know all about that. If you help your team make 3 Super Bowls win or lose you're not "Mr Choke" imo. If Romo would have led his team to the Super Bowl the last few years but lost it I wouldn't call him "Mr Choke" because he obviously had to play 2-3 good games in the playoffs to even get to the SB. Romo had his chance to drive his team down the field last Sunday with 3 minutes to go and win the game and make the playoffs but he threw his 3rd interception of the game. I like Romo and he puts up great numbers and wins regular season games but for you but to compare his situation to Elway's is laughable :lmao2:

I would choose Romo over Garrett though!
  12. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

846 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    you're right about that...to them, Jason is just an innocent bystander who has had no opinions, suggestions or leverage on who to go after as far as the offense is concerned. His current problems are not from his own doing or actions. When in fact, he has been the driving force, if you wanna call it that, on the offensive side of the ball----Wade was clueless as far as the offense was concerned and concentrated on the Defense.

This offense has not made progress at all during his tenure and the process is broken....it lies squarely on Garrett's shoulders, whether he wants to accept it or not. He has not used his personnel properly nor maximized their strengths and hide their weaknesses. And as for his playcalling, well there is no question this is his biggest weakness right next to making proper adjustments. On the bright side, he does seem to dress proper and have good hygiene-----. :rolleyes:
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Lol. How did Garrett inherit this OL when Doug Free is the only over who was here when he got the job?

And plenty of reporters said Garrett and Callahan were scouting the FA signings this year.

The director of pro personnel is only Judd Garrett. But right, poor Jason just shows up to work one day and suddenly has these free agent strangers on the roster.

Some people just like to make excuses for their pets coaches.
  14. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,263 Messages
    891 Likes Received
    Full autonomy means full autonomy until stated otherwise. That means he controlled everything about the offense. Not just the play calling, not just the game plans, but everything. Personnel included. To think that Garrett had "full autonomy" over everything BUT personnel is ridiculous beyond words, especially when he was Jerry's handpicked future head coach.

For God sakes, HIS BROTHER IS THE DIRECTOR OF PRO SCOUTING. But yeah, he had nothing to do with this personnel. Get out of here with that garbage. You want better players? Get better personnel people than the two families running this current crapshow.

Jerry wouldn't publicly say this if he wasn't trying to send a message.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,023 Messages
    2,258 Likes Received
    If you listen to Jerry's comments he blames basic fundamentals as to why we aren't very good. He pretty much put the lack of success for this offense on coaching.

I think Jerry knows something has to be done with the offense. Now the question is will Jerry do the right things to fix this offense?

Will he bring in a consultant?

Or is he just saying stuff and we'll just continue down this same path.
  16. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,686 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    I haven't seen the quote from Jerry... But there's no way Garrett has had FULL AUTONOMY -- as an OC or as a HC.

If you think Garrett as an OC had the ability to trump a Jerry decision in the war room and pick say an OL over say a Jason Williams, then you're delusional. He may have input as to what personnel are brought in on offense, like Risen Star is saying, and likely more input since he's been HC. But full autonomy would mean he's got personnel control. No way he has control. I know Jerry's own quotes refute that idea.
  17. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    When you cannot get a handle on false starts, you have issues.
  18. Risen Star

22,586 Messages
    9,751 Likes Received
    Because when he took over he didn't have a single OL with any talent for the future.

The Cowboys OL isn't this bad simply because of the moves made the last two years. It takes years of inept decision making to literally have a bare cupboard along those five positions.

To hang it on a head coach who's only had serious stroke in the war room over the last couple of offseasons is foolish. Parcells has more blame. Wade Phillips has more blame. Certainly Jerry and Stephen have more blame.
  19. Risen Star

22,586 Messages
    9,751 Likes Received
    I didn't miss anything. I just understood what he meant.

He's had full autonomy over the offensive scheme and play calling over the last 6 years. He hasn't had full autonomy over the players within that offense.

This isn't me thinking. It's me knowing. And Jerry Jones would agree with me.
  20. Risen Star

22,586 Messages
    9,751 Likes Received
    You'd have to really be clueless to think he's had full autonomy over the last 6 years.

This is fan rant at it's worst.