1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Garrett Has Had Full Autonomy Over the Offense For 6 Years

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Beast_from_East, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,780 Messages
    10,082 Likes Received
    He makes the rules. That doesn't mean he's right. A quick glance at his track record tells anyone he's made a living being wrong.

So to use what Jerry does as proof of what's the right thing to do reeks of desperation. You couldn't possibly find a worse decision maker in the NFL.
  2. Risen Star

22,780 Messages
    10,082 Likes Received
    Because all that is wrong with our offense resides among the 4 stiffs we start along the OL.
  3. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

693 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    Not very hard to understand really. Most OC would have some level of input on draft selection. Are you saying Garrett had no input ? I would hope Jerry chose a HC who had some input on drafts, but you say he didn't. Hard Knocks would disagree with you. There is tape of Jerry asking Garrett questions about who to select.......Garrett answered poorly.
  4. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,482 Messages
    711 Likes Received
    I can not see how anybody who has a least the slightest bit of football knowledge, doesn't hold Jason Garrett responsible for our offensive issues.
  5. Risen Star

22,780 Messages
    10,082 Likes Received
    I'm saying no offensive coordinator on the planet has significant input into personnel decisions. That doesn't come with the job. His job requires him to coach the talent, not pick the talent. That doesn't mean he hasn't been a voice in the room, but not a significant voice in the room. He had no power to make draft picks.

Now as head coach he has significantly more input and he's said that. But his work as HC of two years didn't create the complete mess we have along the OL. He's less to blame for that than the two head coaches before him and certainly the two frauds who head our personnel department the entire time.
  6. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I think this might be the 5th or 6th time you've had to say this. Headache yet?

You're a patient man.
  7. Risen Star

22,780 Messages
    10,082 Likes Received
    It's the typical blame the head coach for all that is wrong with the team we've seen here for two decades.

I try to keep in mind I'm talking to the same people who would have drove Sean Payton to the airport when he left. Now he's their savior.
  8. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,690 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    I wasn't here for that but it doesn't shock me at all.
  9. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Active Member

592 Messages
    28 Likes Received
    This is the part I dont get. How do you know he is a great guy? What has he done to make you believe he belongs anywhere involved in football let alone a great front office guy? Everything he has done in regards to football has been below standard. OC=bad, head coach=bad, QB=Bad.

Where do you guys come up with this kind of analysis? Do you know how many hundreds of thousand of people went to princeton? Would all of them make great front office people or head coaches in the NFL?

How many ivy leaguers are actually in the NFL? With his education could he NOT go out and get a job using his education? Garrett is a poser. Its pretty obvious. He is trying to be something he definitely is not. He has no business coaching football.
  10. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,292 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    This is silly. Jerry is a self made man who became a billionaire from oil to football and his team has 3 SBs. Even if we take the last sixteen years of one playoff win, it's not like he's been a terrible GM for all of them. It was from 96 to 2003 until he hired Parcells which were his worst years.
  11. Trajan

Trajan Active Member

693 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    I don't see daylight between Garrett and the Jerry administration. I see him as one of Jerry's cronies, a guy hand picked by Jerry. Anyone from inside Jerry World who rises up through the ranks to become Head Coach will be tainted IMO. Had Garrett with his weak resume come from another team I would be more receptive to him.

Let me put it this way, I see Garrett as a guy from the ranks who is tarnished by too much time with the cancer that is Jerry, a guy who's family is too much into the inner circle of Jerry to stand up and make the real choices needed to win. So far only Jimmy Johnson and Bill Parcells have been able to step up and with the force enough to dim Jerry's poor environment for winning. Both those guys got pushed out by Jerry after improving the team dramatically.

The only way I see success for this team is for another coach of that caliber, one with the gravitas to put their mark on the team in spite of all Jerry's antics, to come and smash the facade that Jerry has created.

You think Garrett is doing or will change the culture of failure that Jerry commands ? I doubt it.

If you are somehow correct that Garrett had almost no input into the poor drafting the many years he has been with the team then I don't see him being the strong person who will suddenly step up and take charge. If he didn't inject himself as OC from where will this new confidence emerge ? Just because he is now HC ? I doubt it.
  12. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,898 Messages
    2,367 Likes Received
    I had high hopes for Garrett too but he has proven to be jellyfish with no backbone
  13. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,304 Messages
    873 Likes Received
    I've heard you say this on multiple occasions but you're incorrect. You make it sound like the masses wanted Payton gone and that's simply not the case. Payton turned down the Raiders gig because it wasn't right for him. He was a hot commodity at the time.

We may not have been as successful, record wise, under BP but very few blamed Payton. He ran the offense the way the HC wanted it run and that was conservative. Everyone knew that. There were rumors that Payton got spanked when he wanted to open up the playbook. The only person that took heat during those years was the HC. Hell, we didn't even know for sure who was calling the plays half the time because BP didn't want anyone to know.

To go one step further, no one blamed Sparano for a conservative game plan against Seattle. No one blamed the OC for not attacking a weak set of corners. It was all on the HC.

It should because it never happened.
  14. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,439 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Great post!

Jerry is 70. If he waits another year to wait and see I think it will never happen for him again in his lifetime. Change is needed and I want everybody on this staff that was here during Wade gone. It's really that simple for me.

Yes the team played better, but so did Cleveland for a 4-5 game stretch.
  15. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,145 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    Jason needs to get the short routes back into the offense...
  16. dooomsday

dooomsday Member

886 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, these fools are Romo stricken and now that he's been exposed (again) it's a full on hard on for Garrett. Same thing every year. At the start of next season they'll tell us what a great year Romo had, his best ever. And we'll forget the beginning and end.

A coach is clearly only as good as his talent. Try as they may Garrett is not the GM, this isn't a normal situation where there is a qualified GM and if we are quoting Jerry he said he makes the final decision on personal calls, period. Hes the SB winning GM with 25 years experience. Autonomy in this case refers to play calling and scheming. You would have to be stupid to suggest Jerry has relinquished his power.

Garrett's O is record breaking as far as I know. We'd like more points, but those unbiased fans know the deal there!

Oh, and Mendenhal SUX! His team hates him, and eventually benched him. There goes that barometer. But the fools still use it. LOL!
  17. dooomsday

dooomsday Member

886 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Still pimping Wade too? LMAO! After success with BPs players, and the trenches he, BP, built it only took Wade 3 subsequent years to destroy it all and leave to cupboard bare with nothing on O or D to show. It's the defense collapse that finally cost him his job. So to bring him up as a success and lop off the last two years of his folly that was some of the worst football we have ever seen is laughable. He's the reason we had to rebuild when Garrett took over. We may not have called it that, but that's what happened. And beside the mental state of quitters he also fostered Garrett had to clean up, he's still paying for his poor drafts. Some of the worst in team history. That's what
    He followed, Wades broke down losing team. Wade took over a winning team, from a capable collector of talent. Could not have been any more difficult for Garrett following incapable and ineffective Waddles.

I'll take Dez, Ty, Murray, Bruce etc. Or do we only base his success on Felix? Hahaha!
  18. dooomsday

dooomsday Member

886 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL! And the same people loved Wade Phillips and couldn't see the forest thru their woody for him. Worst coach in our history.

You nailed it. We have the dumbest fans and they are always willing to show it! Like in this case. First, we're taking Jerry at his word? Even tho he cleary says over and over and over the buck stops with him? Well that's not very savy or intelligent. Then we have Garrett's role expanding to full autonomy after a season of complaining that he's just a lackey. You can't write this stuff! The meddling owner with the self appointed GM title who has said he makes all the rules and picks all the players .....was just kidding. Haha!
  19. Risen Star

22,780 Messages
    10,082 Likes Received
    You're re-writing history.

Yeah, that was the case. He sucked as much as Garrett does right now. Can't run an offense. Had his play calling taken away in New York for a reason.
  20. SultanOfSix

SultanOfSix Star Power

8,292 Messages
    431 Likes Received
    This is patently false. Jimmy was partly to blame for the first. And Parcells burned out and left out of his own volition. In fact, Jerry tried to get him to stay for another year but he said no.