1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Garrett thought Colston's fumble was an incompletion, like Sanders' last week

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 23, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,207 Messages
    5,769 Likes Received
    -- Charean Williams

On Sunday, Marques Colston caught a slant from Drew Brees at the Dallas 24-yard line when cornerback Morris Claiborne punched it out as Colston tried to secure the ball. The ball rolled 22 yards downfield toward the end zone.

Cowboys coach Jason Garrett disputed Colston’s fumble – believing it was an incompletion instead – that gave the Saints the ball at the Dallas 2-yard line. New Orleans kicked the game-winning field goal on the next play after referee Walt Coleman had confirmed the ruling ont the field.

“The play went against us,” Garrett said. “It was eerily similar to last week and both of them seemed to go against us, and the plays seemed virtually identical. But that’s the way it is. We’ve got to play and coach to the best of our ability and not worry about it.”

Read more here: http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...s-an-incompletion-like-sanders-last-week.html
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    that's what we all HOPED would happen but.....hey, the hosed us two weeks in a row....between Spencer jumping offside and costing us a TD instead of a field goal (4 pt. difference) and this call: we couldn't overcome it.
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,252 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    That's definitely a fumble imo...

My question with that play is why the ball wasn't returned to the spot of the fumble. I always thought an offensive player couldn't advance a fumble in the last 2 min of a half or overtime....
  4. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,876 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Me too. But it turns out that the "or overtime" part isn't in the rule (though it should be).
  5. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,252 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    That's dumb. I always assumed that "after the 2 minute warning" would include OT. If time and replay rules are the same at those times, why wouldn't fumble rules be?
  6. Reality

Reality Administrator Staff Member

11,809 Messages
    1,606 Likes Received
    The Spencer play was on 4th down .. meaning, if he had not jumped offsides, the ball would have been turned over to the Cowboys so it cost us 7 points.

/reality
  7. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...........correct Reality...I was so pissed after the game yesterday I brain cramped and thought it was 3rd down instead of 4th...which makes it even WORSE. This guy is not worth the money he gets: I really hope they don't franchise him again as he doesn't know what it takes to win IMO:banghead:
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    If that play was a fumble then the play last week was MORE of a fumble.

That's the biggest problem with the officiating in the NFL... consistency. One week that play is an incomplete pass, the VERY NEXT WEEK the exact same play is a fumble.

Quit adding on all these extra qualifiers for making a simple catch to make it easier on the refs. They're obviously not intelligent enough to comprehend the details of the rules.
  9. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,969 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    It was certainly one of the plays (Demarco's fumble is the other that comes to mind) that suggests some of our players aren't playing good situational football. You CANNOT jump offsides there, your opponent has already converted an extremely important fourth down before the ball has even been snapped. And you CANNOT fumble at your own five-yard line -- all tied up, just got an important stop and you can potentially take the lead for the first time all game. And just like that, bam. Oh well, the most important thing in all of this is that the Giants suck and we get to play for the division title next Sunday night. Call me crazy, but that sounds like a pretty good deal to me.
  10. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,969 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    Yeah, and then I hear about this "football move" when it comes to deciding if a pass is complete or not. The Ravens score an obvious touchdown and it gets called back because of the subjective nature of this call. What the heck happened to the idea that if you have possession and two feet down, it's a complete pass? Where did all this other crap come from?
  11. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,667 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Yup. They need to simplify the rule so that it becomes much less of a judgment call. "Having enough time to make a football move" leaves it up to opinion of the ref. IMO, it should be, if the WR has control, and got both feet on the ground, it should be a catch. That would make that call a lot more consistent.
  12. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,424 Messages
    1,298 Likes Received
    That was a fumble all the way. No excuse for a Cowboy player not to have recovered that ball was loose for a long time and Dallas should have had the numbers back there to recover it.
  13. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,667 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    I agree it was a fumble.

IIRC, the Saints went 5 wide and we went man to man. I thought I saw Sensabaugh line up on a guy at the line of scrimmage so we had no safeties back there.
  14. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,700 Messages
    679 Likes Received
    From the replay, it looks like Frampton was back, but he was charging full speed toward Colston when he fumbled it. That allowed Graham to beat him to the ball. What disappointed me was Sensabaugh not going full speed after it.
  15. LUVDABOYS

LUVDABOYS Member

235 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I agree, it was a fumble as was the one last week. This week they got it right, unfortunately
  16. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    it was a fumble.

Dallas should have been less conservative in overtime on offense.
  17. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,646 Messages
    282 Likes Received
    I still dint think Spencer was offside, he got an early jump but didn't appear to cross the plane before the ball moved.
  18. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,945 Messages
    457 Likes Received
    I thought it was a fumble because I thought last week was a fumble. However, they reversed it last week so I really have no idea. Inconsistency at it's finest so Garrett has a point.
  19. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,412 Messages
    413 Likes Received
    The inconsistency in this rule is what kills me. There was another disputed play in the BAL-NYG game yesterday as well. The ruling made no sense.
  20. StylisticS

StylisticS Well-Known Member

8,337 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Same here. I said this on the game thread. He got an early jump but he did not cross the Los yet.