1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Garrett's contract, 2.5 years left, ~$10-15 million still owed?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by igtmfo, Nov 6, 2012.

1. igtmfo

igtmfo Well-Known Member

1,243 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    Roughly speaking, please correct me if I'm wrong. Jerry doesn't like dead money. This, for no other reason, Jason gets a long enough leash to wrap around Cowboys Stadium.

OK Jason was paid $3.5 mil in 2010 as an assistant, so for sure he got at least a little raise up to $4 million as head coach last season when he signed his contract, if not more.

Even if his contract in 2013 and 2014 only calls for around $4.5 mil per, and he makes 2 million the remainder of 2012, then that's 11 million out of pocket for Jerry to fire him right now. I bet it's a good bit more, considering Jerry's generosity.

From what I read, most if not all NFL head coaching contracts are guaranteed. I guess it is possible for a first-time coach to have a buyout in there, but even so Jerry would have to fork over close to the minimum $ above, don't you think?

Wade Phillips only had 1.5 years left on his contract at an estimated $3 mil per. And even that $4.5-5 million he was owed when he was fired got cut down at least a million when Wade was hired by Houston - money the Cowboys didn't have to pay him because it was subtracted from the Texans' contract with him. I'm not sure Jason will command $1 million as an assistant anywhere else if we fire him.

Conclusion: get used to Jason.
  2. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,234 Messages
    688 Likes Received
    Damnit, this makes Orlando Scandrick's contract look better.
  3. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,062 Messages
    1,973 Likes Received
    The figures are mind blowing.

What a waste of money.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    There's no doubt. With the exception of Parcells, Jerry has always been cheap on head coaches. So there's no way he's going to pay all this dead money for Garrett to sit at home.

It's just another piece of evidence that Jerry Jones does not respect the position of head coach. As if the infamous "500 coaches" comment wasn't enough.
  5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I said he will get a third year most owners do not eat that type of money and wade did not deserve top tier HC Money.

Most young HC do not get big time money on their contract until they start winning
  6. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,690 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    That's not true.

He made that 500 coaches comment then paid Jimmy to go away. Even Jimmy acknowledges he was very well paid to walk away.

Then Jerry hired coaches at low pay but doing so very often. He was paying them to leave as well. He knew the talent was trash but he paid in and out the door guys all the same.

He wasn't cheap with Parcells, Payton nor Jason. Dallas has had the highest paid assts for pretty much the entire past decade.

Jerry will pay for wanted coaching. He doesn't like losing out to other franchises.

11 million is absolutely nothing to Jerry Jones in the landscape of the Dallas Cowboys. Winning a title would be worth literally billions to him in additional income over a fairly short span.

Lost revenue as people become apathetic would still cost him far more than 11m.
  7. PAINFROMUKRAINE

PAINFROMUKRAINE Active Member

191 Messages
    75 Likes Received
    Call the cops. Jerry and the Cowboy Fans have been ROBBED by Jason. I guess a Princeton Education automatically provides certain Financial Guarantees in life.

Pay Jason. Kick him in the butt and out the Door. Bring in Sean Peyton for @$10 Million/year.
  8. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,462 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Garrett is getting a third year. Jerry lists firing Chan Gailey after two years as one of his biggest mistakes as a GM.
  9. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,128 Messages
    6,934 Likes Received
    Exactly right. Especially the part about paying the assistant coaches. We all remember (though most now regret) how much he paid to keep Jason as OC in Dallas when other teams wanted him as their head coach.

There's fair criticism of this team, and then there's overreaction because people are disappointed. Not surprisingly, we're seeing a lot of the latter during this losing streak.
  10. cowboyfan4life2

cowboyfan4life2 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    203 Likes Received
    Jerry prints money, money has nothing to do with it, its ego. Jerry can't admit that his boy is a failure.
  11. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,426 Messages
    127 Likes Received
    Ding ding ding
  12. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    true but he made the playoffs both years though. With an aging and not very talented team