1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gas Grill Recommendations

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Duane, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,888 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Everyone raves about the Weber grills but they are about twice as expensive as similar sized competitors.

I'm looking to be able to grill for about 6-10 people for an occasional party but versatile enough to cook quickly for two.

Does anyone have good experiences with specific gas grills?
  2. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,614 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    If you can find a grill with a third rack or basket at the top it would be good. The key is having at least a high enough second rack and dome like arched lid so you can grill other things like ribs and chicken without it burning. Don't get a short lid, those are only good for grilling steaks and such...
  3. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,204 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    I don't know, I've only bought a Weber grill (singular) and have not once regretted buying it.

I've know people who have bought other brands and while some people had success, others did not.

I've had my current grill for five years and not once have I had an issue with it. I use it 1-3 times a week all year long. (even with a foot of snow on top of it)
  4. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,423 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    Spend the $$$ for a Weber, I promise you you won't be sorry!

I've had the same Weber Genesis E-320 for nearly 11 years, use it at least 3 times a week, sometimes twice a-day, and it'll probably last another 10 years.

The cheaper brands are just that.
  5. Duane

Duane Active Member

6,888 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Thanks guys.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,870 Messages
    2,647 Likes Received
    Weber's are worth the money. They last, are easier to clean, and have good designs for cooking needs.

Then you gotta get these and this.
  7. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,423 Messages
    191 Likes Received
    You're supposed to CLEAN 'em!!?? :eek: :confused: :eek::

I just turn all my 3 burners on to high, let it get to 600-650, and presto... clean as a whistle!

:p:
  8. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,254 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    You definitely get what you pay for with gas grills. The less you pay, the lower quality the metals used and the sooner you'll be replacing it.

If you're on a budget, it doesn't hurt to look for a used one on craigslist.
  9. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I've had a Weber for 6 years and don't regret paying some extra $ for it at all. It works perfectly, great temperature control, heats up quickly, uses less gas than other grills while producing the same amount of heating power.

You'll appreciate more if you BBQ things like veggies, chicken, fish and ribs.

I have the Genesis Gold and have loved it from day one.
  10. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    I am not joking at all. Me and buddy wanted a grill that was easy to move and we scooped one of these.

Like $30.00 or something and it is awesome. The ignitor went out a while back but that's the only issue I have had with it.

No joke. You want something for a smaller group that you can move around to the lake or camping, this thing is the ****.

I've cooked for 4-5 on this thing no problem.

[IMG]

We don't use that stupid *** bun rack though.
  11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    That's if you take care of them. My dad bought a nice grill, expensive as stuff too, and he recently told me that it had nearly blew up in his face. I looked at it after, and could easily see why. Looks like no attention was paid to it other than grilling.
  12. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :laugh2:cheap as ****!

If you want to go that route, get a Weber BabyQ. Same size, around 160.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,531 Messages
    2,217 Likes Received
    Why would you pay 5X for the same size grill?
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I own a hand me down Weber grill.
    Bought a brand new shiny Brinkmann at Home Depot.
    The new grill was inefective...returned it.
    Still grilling ribeyes and kabobs in my old beat up hand me down Weber.
    Get a Weber...it will last.
  15. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,204 Messages
    96 Likes Received
    Same here. I crank up the heat. Once it's been there for a few minutes, I just use the wire brush on it and it's ready to go for the next round of steaks!
  16. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,254 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    I do the same. I also spray on a little olive oil. It seems to loosen up whatever is caked on from the last round, and keeps whatever I'm about to throw on from sticking.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,028 Messages
    1,893 Likes Received
    I have a Viking Grill and I love it. Never had a better Grill in my life.
  18. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    5 Things To Consider When Buying A Grill

In the market for a new gas grill? These days, walking into the grill section of your local hardware store is like walking into a car dealership. With so many models, brands and features to choose from, it's hard to know where to begin. So whether you want to cook a simple steak or an elaborate seared tuna, there is a grill out there for you. We went to Home Depot's grilling expert, Ken D'Anastasio, who gave us five points to consider when grill shopping.

1. Price: Grills range from $149 to $1500, so it really depends on your budget. If you're buying a gas grill, keep in mind the propane tank is rarely included anymore, so you'll need to add on approximately $20 to the price.

2. Size: What food do you like to grill and how many people do you generally cook for? If you entertain often and cook 25 burgers at a time, you'll need a larger surface area than if you use the grill to cook occasionally for yourself. Additionally, consider the amount of space you have at home for the grill.

3. Material: Grills come in an array of materials: Most are cast aluminum, stainless or cast-iron. While stainless steel is the most expensive, cast-aluminum does not rust, so this may be a better option if you live in a high-moisture area.
    For those who want stainless steel, keep in mind there are different grades:
    - 203 Stainless Steel – Highest quality, you'll find this in Viking grills
    - 304 Stainless Steel – Grade used in most Weber grills
    - 430 and above – somewhat questionable

4. Grates: Under extreme heat, the material of many grates can chip off onto your food, so it's important to make sure the grates are durable. Heavy, cast iron grates are best because they hold a lot of heat and distribute it evenly. Plain iron grates require more maintenance than coated grates, so D'Anasastio suggests matte finished porcelain-coated grates, which he says won't chip and don't get as grimy.

5. Features: Many grills these days come loaded with all kinds of fancy features. These include:
    - Side Burners: Allows you to cook complementary dishes
    - Sear Burners: For those who like rotisserie cooking
    - Smokers
    - Infrared Technology: Employs convection cooking, using less gas and keeping the meat juicier
    - Baffle System: Prevents food from falling onto the burners, helping to keep your grill clean

"Over 80 percent of customers will buy grills with all the extras, and never use them," D'Anastasio warns. He suggests considering what you'll use your grill for before you make the purchase to avoid spending more money than necessary.

http://www.foxnews.com/imag/Guy Guide/5 Things To Consider When Buying A Grill
  19. CowboyWay

CowboyWay If Coach would have put me in, we'd a won State

4,171 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    He's obviously talking about the home depot models.

Check out this site. These guys are die hards. What I really like is that many models come with video reviews. Some of them have as many as 10 videos per model, so you can watch then give it a review, and cook on it.

www.bbqguys.com
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,946 Messages
    3,458 Likes Received
    He was just giving a price range and advice on buying a grill that fits your needs