1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gas War in Houston

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    A pair of northwest Harris County gas stations launched a war on Tuesday afternoon. There was no collateral damage in the battle, just plenty of happy drivers who lined up their cars for hours on end as the price of gas dropped by more than a $1 gallon in less than four hours.

The battle started when the Chevron station on FM 529 at North Eldridge started lowering its gas prices as part of its grand opening. What started out as $3.50 a gallon at 5 a.m. on Tuesday quickly dropped to almost $2 some 15 hours later.

Not to be outdone, the Shell station across the street answered the call and also started lowering the price of unleaded.

At 1:23 p.m., the price of a gallon of gas at the Chevron was $3.05 while the Shell was selling fuel for $2.99 a gallon.

The price war did not stop there as the price of a gallon of gas kept dropping hour by hour.

As of 5:50 p.m., the Chevron was selling gas for $2.38 a gallon, but ran out of fuel. The store managers at Chevron said they had more gas being trucked in.

Meanwhile, the Shell was offering up gas at $2.47 a gallon with its tanks full of fuel.

The long lines caused traffic headaches. Harris County deputies were called in to direct traffic.

There were a few hot heads as well as those waiting in line displayed their frustration, hollering at those who cut in line.

By 8:30 p.m., the gas truck had arrived at the Chevron and the price war continued. Shell dropped its gas prices to $2.29 a gallon while Chevron countered with gas for $2.29 a gallon.

Just before 10 p.m. on Tuesday night the prices dropped to $2.08 at the Chevron and at the Shell station the sign was blank as managers were trying to determine just how low prices would go.

The average price of gas in Houston is $3.62 a gallon according to AAA.
  2. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,484 Messages
    261 Likes Received
    I can't make this sentence make sense. I keep reading it as gas stations forming a coalition, and they're going to war against Tuesday afternoons. I probably need to take a nap.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2:

That'll show those Tuesday afternoons.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Let's hope there are more Tuesdays and the war escalates until all gas stations are involved.:laugh2:
  5. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Traffic was hell from what I saw on the news lastnight with police directing traffic around the 2 stations. Heck had the line and wait not been as long as they were I would have driven over there.
  6. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bush should fly down there, hammer out a ceasefire agreement, and re-use that "Mission Accomplished" sign.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    Did it remind you of the carter days and long gas lines? :laugh2:
  8. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    No because they did not care if your license plate had an odd or even number on it and no one was happy. For the most part last night the people they interviewed while waiting in line were very happy.
  9. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    When we vacationed at the Jersey Shore in '79, my father brought along two sets of plates. I come from along line of con men.
  10. BrAinPaiNt

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    I am surprised a few fights did not break out between people wanting to get ahead to get the gas before it ran out.

I remember when you would read articles about some shoppers fighting over cabbage patch kids, or whatever the popular item was that holiday season.

On a side note, I wonder how much the gas stations gained or lost money wise.

Most gas stations get their money from selling stuff in the store so they may have had many buying water or beverages while waiting.

However I wonder how much they lost to the gas companies for selling the product lower than they paid for it.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    And then when you went to the hotel and went to sleep, you woke up and realized someone had siphoned all of your gas out of the car during the night.:laugh2:
  12. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    No doubt you had a few people with some choice words but for the most part people kept their cool. Remember we are a concealed gun law state so you tend to be a bit more polite to one another since you don't know who is packing and who’s not. :laugh2:
  13. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No wonder my dad's breath always smelled like premium.
  14. utrunner07

utrunner07 Well-Known Member

9,073 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    :laugh2:greatness
  15. BrAinPaiNt

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    We had that siphon problem around my neck of the woods during that time. People would fill up their car and go home from work. Wake up the next morning to go to work and see their tank on empty. :laugh2:
  16. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,145 Messages
    6,944 Likes Received
    I heard about this on the radio and I could never tell where they were calling from because I always turned it on right when they were just giving the price update.

Now that I know the location, I don't feel so bad. That's on the other side of the world from me. Got a friend who lives in the area. Should call her and see if she was able to get some cheap gas.

Even if I did live in the area, once I saw the lines, I would've gotten flashbacks to my Hurricane Rita evacuation horror and then left.
  17. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You can't trust anyone who would sodomize Ned Beatty.
  18. Doomsday101

78,471 Messages
    3,796 Likes Received
    Come on Ned had a purtty mouth. :laugh2:
  19. BrAinPaiNt

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    I live in WV, not Georgia.

However that film was an inspiration to many of us. :eek: :laugh2:

Or like our state motto says.

West Virginia, where the men are men and the sheep are nervous.
  20. BrAinPaiNt

61,260 Messages
    4,584 Likes Received
    I think you liked his big pasty back side and vocal abilities more. :laugh2: