1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gavin Escobar returned to practice

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Galian Beast, Aug 19, 2014.

1. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

691 Messages
    411 Likes Received
    My problem wasn't really with Escobar himself; it was with Dallas trying (again) to make a two TE offense work after failing with Anthony Fasano and Martellus Bennett in years past. Escobar, though, has a real chance to be a factor in 2014, and maybe (dare I say it?) Witten's eventual successor.
    Floaty, morasp and 5Stars like this.
  2. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,832 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    For the record, I hated the pick when it happened. I should've listened to Risen Star. He called it.
  3. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    Well, to be honest...the "realist" are usually wrong.
  4. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,141 Messages
    1,461 Likes Received
    I thought he wanted a CB in the draft?
    ScipioCowboy likes this.
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,563 Messages
    5,292 Likes Received
    Liked the player, disliked spending a high pick on TE when we had more obvious needs.

Making a mental note of the reference to "I should have listened to Risen Star" in a serious context. White rabbit, white rabbit!
    ScipioCowboy and 5Stars like this.
  6. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

1,641 Messages
    1,125 Likes Received
    I'm sure it will be directed elsewhere
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,856 Messages
    7,247 Likes Received
    I'm far more right than you'll ever be and anybody paying attention knows it.
  8. Idgit

29,563 Messages
    5,292 Likes Received
    Wow. That sure sounds impressive. It's like you're sure, no matter what your post history might indicate. It's too bad you don't have a track record for owning your own obvious mistakes or your certainty might also be convincing to all those people who are paying attention.

I've got 25k+ posts on CZ.com. I've been wrong about plenty of things during that time, I'm sure, so I can't say with certainty how our records compare. I can only judge based off of the things you and I have actually disagreed on, where your track record is truly abysmal.
    CyberB0b and 5Stars like this.
  9. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,856 Messages
    7,247 Likes Received
    I don't "own" up to the hallucinations you create in your mind to make it seem like we're on a pretty level playing field.

Tell me again how I was wrong on Phil Costa when I said he sucked and would be out of the league now that he's sucked and is out of the league.

You just can't stand it.
  10. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,274 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    A lot of people were complaining about the TE pick, not the player. With an Oline sucky as last years and we drafted another TE. Good player, but we could have used another pass rusher or Olineman over another TE.
    morasp and wileedog like this.
  11. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,832 Messages
    2,045 Likes Received
    Are you two serious or joshing with each other?
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,405 Messages
    3,698 Likes Received
    What if the TE was higher on their draft board?
  13. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,000 Messages
    687 Likes Received
    Which is why we have so many rings in the last 18 years, right?
  14. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,000 Messages
    687 Likes Received
    Its thinking like this that has given us a top 5 offense and a bottomless defense. At some point someone has to get creative with trading or FA, otherwise you wind up with 6 Pro Bowl TEs who happened to be on the top of your draft board and bunch of scrubs on your front 7.
    Ashwynn and morasp like this.
  15. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,238 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    I still would have us pick defense. But at least his productive and quite possibly take over for Witten eventually.
  16. Idgit

29,563 Messages
    5,292 Likes Received
    You were wrong about Phil Costa. And your current fiction on that topic makes that really clear.

But this isn't a Costa thread.
    5Stars likes this.
  17. Bleu Star

Bleu Star Agent Coulson

19,458 Messages
    787 Likes Received
    I'm seeing so much more creative potential on the offensive side of the ball this year and that is a VERY good thing.
    Galian Beast likes this.
  18. Ashwynn

Ashwynn Well-Known Member

3,274 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    speaking strictly for me, I saw draft the closest rated non TE, be it O line, RB, DE, or anything but K/P and TE. Were not good enough to have a bushel of talent at TE and so spartan all over the D and 2013 draft the Oline.
  19. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,992 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    Escobar makes contested catches and gets open behind safeties. He can block people under 265 lbs well enough. He is now demonstrating toughness.

He is worthy of his second round selection to this point.
  20. Floaty

Floaty Benched

752 Messages
    265 Likes Received
    Nope....And in all honestly

I won't be shocked if they tried to trade Hanna for a Blocking TE because I'm starting to get the vibe Escobar is more of the receiving TE that gets down the seems rather than the blocker.