1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gavin Escobar?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by IAmLegend, Nov 12, 2013.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    Everybody new he could not block, coming out. If we picked him and have the idea that he is going to be an inline blocker for us, that's on us.
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,017 Messages
    5,046 Likes Received
    Hey we have a perfectly good rant going on. Don't come in here and ruin it. :D
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,767 Messages
    5,047 Likes Received
    I think the sad Jason moment was when we initially traded down. I do not recall Garrett being disappointed with the Escobar choice.

Of course it is always hard to tell what is going on with draft day, there is always a lot of high fives when picks are made, Charlotte comes in and pretends she has a role and the red headed grandchild comes in and out etc.
  4. Alexander

24,767 Messages
    5,047 Likes Received
    I think we thought he could at least get in the way and not be a full blown liability out there. Not the case, obviously.

He does not need to be a crunching blocker. Novacek himself was a simple positional stumbling block half the time.
  5. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,050 Messages
    1,925 Likes Received
    No, we really should have known this if we scouted him at all. He has never shown the ability to block and it's really more of a want to thing then anything. Escobar does not want to block. He's another Bennett in this regard, except Bennett could block, he just didn't want to, here in Dallas. Escobar has never ever shown any desire to do that IMO.

IDK.
  6. Fonzie

Fonzie New Member

12 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I absolutely hated this pick on draft day and I hate it even more now. I never bought that "Patriots style offense" garbage for a second.
  7. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,372 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Right on!
  8. AmishCowboy

AmishCowboy if you ain't first, you're last

4,372 Messages
    58 Likes Received
    Callahan didn't like Warford for his zone blocking scheme
  9. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,775 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    And yet his unit has been playing like hot garbage. When you pass on players like Warford who have proven tape, there is a problem. Funny thing was Broaddus loved Warford and thought he could sneak into the 1st round. I guess Broaddus got one right and the scouting department whiffed big time.
    Common Sense likes this.
  10. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,017 Messages
    5,046 Likes Received
    No way we were going to go OL in back to back picks. Got nothing to do with whiffing.
  11. neosapien23

neosapien23 Well-Known Member

2,775 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    And there lies the problem. Oline and dline should be top priorities behind the QB. So what if dallas took frederick and warford. The oline would have been set.
    Common Sense likes this.
  12. Alexander

24,767 Messages
    5,047 Likes Received
    He's been in on a grand total of 70 snaps since the Denver interception--with no targets.

I do not know how that can be sugarcoated.
  13. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,720 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    We drafted Escobar in an attempt to improve the 2 TE set. But I also think we did it with the idea that he would be Witten's replacement by 2015.
  14. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    You better hope he's ready before then.
  15. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,486 Messages
    959 Likes Received
    The Escobar pick was a real shocker, but many of us rationalized it by thinking he has an upside and will be a valuable player in the future. However, after further consideration - and considering the lack of depth we have in many areas - I think everyone involved in this pick should get the bum's rush out of Valley Ranch.
  16. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,173 Messages
    2,702 Likes Received
    Gavin who???

Oh, yea..............now I remember.............that TE we took in the 2nd round so we could run the Patriot 12 offense.................then Opie discovered we suck at the 12 offense................so our 2nd round pick watches the game from the bench.......LOL

You seriously cant make this stuff up if you tried.
  17. Picksix

4,720 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Perhaps. Not ready to go all the way out on that limb and say that Witten won't be here next year, but with the cap being what it is, you never know.
  18. Picksix

4,720 Messages
    686 Likes Received
    Happens to a lot of teams every year. Even good ones. You draft a guy thinking you're going to do something with him, and whether it's him being deficient, or the scheme not working out, the pick becomes a waste, at least in the short term.
  19. NeonDeion21

NeonDeion21 Well-Known Member

2,095 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    Witten is considerably slower and less quick than last year. He might be done. Might be.
  20. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,029 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    another 2nd round TE that Dallas' offense is not creative enough to use adequately?