1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

GBN draft report(rumor) on Tyron Smith slipping in draft.

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cowboy from New York, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,668 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Sorry if repost

http://www.gbnreport.com/draftbuzz.html

… One gets the impression that USC OT Tyron Smith could also be slipping. There had been speculation that Smith may have vaulted himself into the top 10 with an outstanding pro day where he weighed in at 307 pounds, but still ran close to 4.9 seconds over 40 yards. Indeed, there has been speculation that Smith could be headed to Dallas with the 9th pick when Cowboys’ head coach Jason Garrett made his only pro day visit at Smith’s workout. Like just about every top prospect in this year’s draft, though, Smith has a few warts. He played at barely 280 pounds in college and there are concerns whether he’ll be able to maintain his current weight over a long, grueling NFL schedule; Smith also played only RT in college but is being considered as a top 10 prospect as a LT; plus Smith is still very young - he won’t turn 21 until late in his rookie season and there have been questions about his maturity and off-field work ethic. Whether those concerns are enough to drop Smith remains to be seen, but he has four late on-site visits scheduled next week and three of them are with teams picking in the second half of the opening round. Smith, who has already visited with Cleveland, Dallas, Minnesota and Indianapolis, will be in Washington in next to visit with the Redskins who have the 10th pick, but will also be at New England, the Giants and Tampa Bay, which pick 17th, 19th and 20th respectively. Again, on-sites are an imperfect measure of where a player stands, but its also true that teams don’t like to waste their time in the days before the draft so Smith’s status may be something to watch over the next couple of weeks….
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I think he will be gone in the top 13 picks.

And if we stay at 9, we'll probably draft him.
  3. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm liking Smith at #9 less and less.

Top 10 picks should be can't miss prospects with a track record.

Top 10 picks should play the higher impact positions: QB,RB,WR,OLB,CB,NT.

As a rule of thumb, I never liked drafting OL early because so much of their success is about character and work ethic. You get more late round gems and 1st rd busts than any other position for that reason alone.

Now I can't say I know this kid or what his work ethic is or will be. Is he the next Alex Barron? IDK.

What I think I do know is that the risk doesn't out weigh the reward.
  4. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    Lets see: worked like a fiend since the last game to put on 25 pounds. Increased his bench from combine to Pro Day.

Yet his off field work ethic is questioned.

This usually starts happening about two weeks for the draft. Stupid crap gets repeated until too many think its true. All the top choices get this; so in effect that just sets in stone the fact that Smith is now a top pick.
  5. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

That's a good point and I'll be the first to admit I know jack about this kid. He could be the hardest working kid on the planet.

I just hope the Cowboy's did their homework and know what to expect. And if the kid has any work ethic concerns above what you'd normally have with any player........take a pass.

There is just no room for that for an OL at the pro level.
  6. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    There has not been anyone mentioning work ethic until NOW. which is the time when garbage is spewed- usually by teams wanting a prospect to fall. But I would not put it above say an agent for Solder or Castonso doing it either.
  7. Cowboy from New York

Cowboy from New York Active Member

1,668 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I lean toward Smith as our pick, like most I would love to be greedy and see a trade down and still get him. I am by no means badmouthing him, just putting interesting article for others to see. But I also wouldnt put much stock in a work ethic of someone working out like a fiend to raise his draft status and therefore his contract $$$.
  8. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    there is also no indication from anyone else that this was a problem until NOW. You don't think it would have been mentioned before? People have been talking him up for months. But nothing like this had come out. The question is why. I really doubt that it was covered up; or that no one else noticed.
  9. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    T Smith's effort on the field or his work ethic hasn't really been questioned until (as already mentioned in a post earlier) about 2 weeks before the Draft.

I mean, the guy was voted by the top OL in the Pac 10 when he was 19 years old.

I think this is typical garbage spewed on top picks just before the Draft . . . . it happens to a lot of these guys leading up to the big day.
  10. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received

That is the point I am making. This is the time when out and out lies are told about prospects.
  11. johnnyd

johnnyd Active Member

1,657 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    violent agreement guys :p:
  12. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,999 Messages
    5,034 Likes Received
    My bet is none of this will change the Cowboys opinion on Smith in any way.
  13. bsheeern

bsheeern Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Somebody got this kid to work enough to come up big at his pro day. That shows me that if we have the environment to push him and make him work, then I wouldn't let the rumors stop me from drafting him. There would have to be signs of a real issue.

On the other hand if the environment is more like what it was with wade, then I'd pass purely because of his age and rawness.

Biggest thing about him is the word Develop and not Transition. He won't just "transition" into the NFL like you hear so many coaches say about more polished prospects. He will have to "Develop" at the NFL level and a lot more goes into a pick like that than 1 who just needs to transition.
    The next 2-3 years are the most critical for this kid more than Most other options we are considering.

Each staff can only handle so many "develop" picks or players at a time. It's like having special needs students in a class with regular students and even advanced students. You can only spread your attention but so far.
  14. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,562 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    OK, who is cant miss at 9?
  15. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,858 Messages
    1,026 Likes Received
    I think Garrett has really done his homework. Whether it's Tyron or whoever, I cannot wait to see the Cowboys draft.
  16. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    This first draft with Garrett will tell us a lot about him and his influence.
  17. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,380 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    I love Tyron Smith of USC, but I just don't see the wisdom in drafting a RT that high for the Cowboys. There are 3 other OT's who would be great fits on the right side, two of whom are known brawlers in the run game.

I just think it makes more sense to trade down and possibly convert that #9 pick into an OT and an OG instead of just one. We are not one of the teams desperate for a LT, in which case Smith's athleticism moves him slightly ahead of the other guys.

Move down in round 1 and take an OT.
    Round 2, get an OG.
    Package #3 and what you get for moving down a little in round 1 to move up and get a CB or DE.
    Round 4, get the CB or DE.
  18. burmafrd

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    -sounds easy but it is not. every time you trade down you are taking a risk. Smith could be the next Eric Williams. Even if he is not that great, a 20 year old can play a long time. Younger, more upside, more physical talent. VS maybe a extra third rd pick. Not worth it to me.
  19. jterrell

jterrell Penguinite

19,695 Messages
    1,396 Likes Received
    This is an intriguing draft in many ways.

It reminds of the RW31 draft.

We draft high but may be better off with a trade down. RW31 was a great player before rules changes but Ed Reed was the next safety off the board and has been Hall of fame caliber player.

This is a deep OT draft and the next 3 or 4 guys after Smith may be better as rookies. They are all naturally bigger if with far less upside and potential.

Playing at 280 scares me because in the NFL these guys would destroy even a 300 pound OT. BUT, Smith may well end up 320 and a Hall of Fame caliber OT. A pattern of growth in an NFL weight program....

Tough call and one I'd rather not have to make myself.

The easy move is the trade down if it presents itself.
  20. fortdick

fortdick Well-Known Member

5,412 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    If he had been a two or three year starter at LT, then I can see it. But #9 for RT doesn't make sense ot me. He may make it, but he will have to learn a new position to be worth #9.

Trade down and take a RT like Carimi or Costanzo.