1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

General Opinions of Jerry Jones

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, May 19, 2006.

1. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,051 Messages
    451 Likes Received
    As an Owner: Jerry is one of the best in all of sports. His business acumen is as good as any businessman in any industry in the country. He is simply brilliant. He is the eternal optimist, a hard, dedicated worker, and motivated to win.

As a GM: A lot of his business sense bleeds into his role as GM, for instance, his optimism on certain people. But for all his downfalls, we have to remember that a) he was the GM that got us 3 Super Bowls and b) that is the one role he seems to have taken in life without earning. Yes, I know he played college football, but prior to buying the team, he had never been in an NFL front office. Rich McCay, credited as one of the NFL's most progressive GMs, grew up around an NFL team. Jerry learned on the job. I think after his immediate success, he grew cocky and thought heck, I can do this in my sleep. I think his humbling after a decade of mediocrity has opened his eyes and taught some hard lessons. So I think he is still good here.

As a person: This seems to not be getting enough lip service here. I love my hometown of Dallas, and few people are more involved, entrenched, and good to this city. Jerry is a fantastic community guy - his charities, donations, time, etc., all serve to help the city. A lot of things he does very open, but he has many benefits and good Samaritan deeds that go unnoticed (I have a family member who was the benefactor of such a deed). He has always treated the members of his team with nothing but respect and regard - he sees his team as his family and Dallas as his adopted home town.

I am a very big Jerry Fan - I hope that someday his children fall in his footsteps.
  2. Star Struck

Star Struck New Member

144 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I definitely think that he likes to hear himself talk, but overall I am glad we have him as an owner rather than others in the league. I have mixed opinions on him as a GM...
  3. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,709 Messages
    26 Likes Received
    ...you have summed up all the negatives of Jerry Jones.

Much of what made him who he is in the business arena, the confidence, the drive, the belief he can win is part of the double edge sword that cuts the other way.

His scope of involvement with this team is much too large and it unfortunately made this team a one man show during the late 90's. One man steered the fortunes of this team and his blinded vision ran this bus off the road.

It's is a definite counter point to his early success when there was really two men running the Dallas show with Jimmy and Jerry.

That grim face he showed in the last game against NYG when Dallas lost the last game for Campo was the bottom that got him off his butt and forced him to come to grips with his failures.

Let's hope the stake that was driven into him that day never comes out and his remaining time with the Cowboys he learns to develop a "winning team" in the front office and on the field.

The less the Dallas Cowboys are about him and the more it is about the brand and it's tradition the better off all of us fans will be.

Bulding teams are just like building good companies. You need to hire and trust good employees. Doing it all yourself is the path to destruction. Hiring on the cheap is another path the the same end.

Good companies don't do it...good football owners shouldn't either.
  4. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,853 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    :hammer:
  5. Billy Bullocks

Billy Bullocks Active Member

4,075 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    3 rings in his tenure, nuff said.
  6. wxcpo

wxcpo Active Member

2,512 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agreed!

Jerry is one of the best owners in football because he wants what is best for this team. He has learned through his mistakes that he needs to surround himself with smart NFL types and he has done that with the hiring of Parcells. I think Jerry has learned his lesson and the days of puppets on a string (Switzer, Campo & Gailey) are over and he will bring in another great caoch to replace BP when he finally decides to hang up the clipboard.
  7. kartr

kartr New Member

3,039 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's the dumber to Parcells Dumb. Neither can draft or handle free agency properly. Parcells teams have underachieved every year he's been here and Jones is dumb enough to think that everything is on schedule,despite the fact that he witnessed Jimmy turning this team around in 3 years and beginning to dominate. Jimmy inherited an absolutely terrible team and turned it around very quickly;the team that Parcells inherited was good enough to go to the playoffs, yet has underachieved after Parcells began to put his personal stamp on it. Yet, Jerry can't see this.
  8. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Plus, he drafted Quincy Carter....so....blech. :)
  9. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,977 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Dead nuts on...........
  10. BESTintheEAST

BESTintheEAST New Member

10 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    GO Jerry best owner in the NFL not just money to this guy, he loves to win
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,578 Likes Received
    Jimmy did not have to deal with FA when he was here and something called the Walker trade helped this team big time especially since Minn produced some bad season so we were getting our high 1st rd pick and Minn high 1st rd picks for 3 years not to mention 2nd and 3rd rounders. Jimmy under the FA system in Miami was not looking so bright drafted 5 RB in 2 years with none panning out