1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Get Johnny Manziel when he enters the draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by coyboy, Jan 6, 2013.

1. coyboy

coyboy Member

113 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If I'm Jerry Jones, I focus on the "O" and "D" lines this year and then when Johnny Manziel enters the draft, I pull a Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams draft and give all my picks to get him.

Not sure if that would be the draft of 2014 or 2015, but given how difficult it is to find a franchise QB...it would be well worth it.
  2. Letemburn

Letemburn Member

789 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Give me Teddy Bridgewater next year instead. I would love to have a Louisville QB lead the Cowboys. I don't think I'm lucky enough for that to ever happen though.
  3. coyboy

coyboy Member

113 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I like this too!
  4. BoysfaninVegas

BoysfaninVegas Member

466 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    I'd be happy with an oline that would just give Romo more than 2 seconds to find an option downfield.
  5. Letemburn

Letemburn Member

789 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Ehh..I'm just being a homer. I wouldnt mind Teddy staying with Louisville for 2 more years either though, especially with Quick and the other recruits coming in after a big Sugar Bowl win. People forget he's a pocket qb, the kid is good at buying time in the pocket, he's not a runner like Manziel. Teddy has a better arm though, the way he reads the field and goes threw his progressions is just amazing, accuracy is also very good.
  6. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,974 Messages
    918 Likes Received
    I don't know if Johnny Manziel translates well into the NFL, at least not as a quarterback. He's even smaller and of slighter built than Michael Vick. He looks fast and elusive now. But in the NFL, he'll have even faster defenders crashing down on him. His style of play doesn't lend itself to a long NFL career, IMO.

But there's no doubt he's an exciting player. Many of the bowl games I wasn't even interested in watching. I watched the Cotton Bowl just because he was playing.
  7. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,409 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    he will play slot wr in nfl
  8. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,942 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    I love watching him play, but I'm concerned that his style does not lend itself to longevity.

The SEC is a great tune-up for the NFL, but he can't take those kind of hits and expect to be a pocket passer.
  9. Soth

Soth Active Member

355 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    Vince Young was also unstoppable in college. That did not translate very well to the NFL.

Manziel torched Oklahoma the same way Vince did back in the day.
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,576 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Vince Young failed cuz he had a bad attitude, was lazy, and didn't work to perfect his craft. Not because of his "Style".
  11. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,430 Messages
    1,598 Likes Received
    I'll keep my foot on the brakes a little while longer, see how Manziel does over next few years. And I'm sure a few other QB's will emerge in that time as well.

But sometime in the next few years, if one is available, he needs to be drafted, even if Romo has a few years left at the time.
  12. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,868 Messages
    1,819 Likes Received
    So why has Tebow failed?
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,576 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Cuz he can't throw a forward pass. He never could.
  14. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,599 Messages
    854 Likes Received
    Really? Some of you might be better served following baseball, or soccer.;)
  15. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

....guy scored a six I believe on the Wonderlic: that might be ok for a cornerback (this means you Claiborne) but not a QB
  16. MartinRamone

MartinRamone Well-Known Member

1,470 Messages
    112 Likes Received
    Im on board, would be an excellent pick.
  17. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

3,817 Messages
    1,145 Likes Received
    Still has a lot to prove on a passer. Scrambling QB's also tend to be injury prone at the next level. Just look at RG3 already in his rookie year. Plus Manziel is significantly smaller in size at about 6 foot even and 200 lbs soaking wet.

His arm strength leaves a lot to be desired, but I think he can improve that a little as he gets stronger. He does have pretty good accuracy at this point and has really progressed over the course of this year in that department.

It will be interesting to see how he plays next season if/when he loses his All-American O-Linemen and now that teams will be well aware of him.

*I'll add that he has massive hands and feet for someone his size. He wears a size 15 shoe and has roughly 10 inch hands. That's a big deal when it comes to QB's.