1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Getting Rid Of Romo Isn't The Answer

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Cowboys&LakersFan, Oct 29, 2012.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,578 Messages
    420 Likes Received
    You do that if you don't really want to face the truth.

Football is a game with a lot of variables and you have to look at all of them if you want to understand why something happened.

Or in your case, you can just place blame on the most convenient target.
  2. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,702 Messages
    1,137 Likes Received
    What you posted sounds really good . . . . . . . . .

But,

The ultimate goal of football is to win the game. I think Herm Edwards said something like that.

Turnovers make it much more difficult to accomplish the goal.

Excuses, while seemingly justified, at some point become a tired old song. Blaming a QB who tossed 4 INT's is just slightly more than a "convenient target" to pin it on.

The truth is we lost the game. The truth is the Cows had 6 turnovers. The truth is, Romo had 4 of those turnovers. The truth is, Romo threw the ball. The truth is, w/o those 4 picks there is a very very good chance we win this game. And that is the truth!
  3. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,031 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    Romo is Romo. The very first play when he came in for a benched Bledsoe after being named the new starter at halftime, he threw an interception.

I don't know what's going on this year, but usually he's good enough to overcome his mistakes.
  4. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,264 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    :D
    You make a good point. Romo is always having trouble with his WRs. This is not normal. It has been going on for years. Witten seems to be the only guy that he trust. I noticed in the preseason that Orton would throw to any reciever if they were open. Romo won't do it. When Romo leaves Dallas, I think some things are going to come out that will surprise people. Something just doesn't add up with Romo.
  5. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,643 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    If you watch the play, you realize that the throw was SUPPOSE to be to the outside BECAUSE the safety was playing inside and you can see the safety closing and would easily intercept that ball. Austin needed to get outside leverage from the get go AWAY from safety so only ONE defender can play the ball. When Austin ran too far inside and allow himself to be sandwiched between CB and S, the play was doomed. Bad route running.
  6. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I will counter with...keeping him is not the solution either.

How many threads are you going to start about the OL really ?
    I think everyone knows that the OL is a problem.
    But that aside Romo is still making critical mistakes.

I think the kid is talented, I think he is poorly coached, I think his OL does him no favors...yet, I still think he is a part of the problem.
  7. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,031 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    If you really believe that, you should be glad we're keeping Romo. Because he isn't going anywhere.
  8. btcutter

2,643 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    I don't believe so.

If you are an NFL QB who ONLY throws to receivers AFTER they come open then you'll always be a bus driver. Very average QB.

The better and top flight QBs can anticipate and throw to spots where WR suppose to be and make nearly indefensible plays. But this does take QB-WR communication. Why do you think Irvin/Novacek were Aikman's targets?

I remember Troy Aikman REFUSE to throw to Alexander Wright (2nd round speedster) again after he AGAIN did not run the route correctly resulting in an INT.
  9. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,384 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    I believe it. At the same time, I see no reason to re-sign him.
    The window may have closed on the offensive side of the ball. Good news is the defense is playing fairly well.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,264 Messages
    1,273 Likes Received
    There is no doubt that communication is the key. It just seems like Romo has more problems communicating than other QBs. Every WR on this team for the last several years can't all be stupid. Can they?
  11. btcutter

2,643 Messages
    147 Likes Received
    i agree part of the problem lie with Romo. But we also seen some really stupid receivers not name Witten on our team. Unfortunately when Romo find someone he trusted, Robinson, he signs else where. Remember we couldn't buy a WR for several years until Austin came out of nowhere.
  12. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,291 Messages
    258 Likes Received
    Tony Romo is on pace for 30 interceptions this year. But the good news is that none of them are going to be his fault.
  13. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I never said that. Reading is fundamental.
  14. pupulehaole

pupulehaole Well-Known Member

1,397 Messages
    95 Likes Received
    There's plenty of QB's in the league with worse supporting casts that are making Romo look like a high school QB.
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Like who? Name them. The only other star quarterback who you could argue has a worse supporting cast than Romo is Aaron Rodgers.
  16. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,031 Messages
    231 Likes Received
    Wait, what? Packers have a lot of injuries, but they have a great group of receivers and tight ends.
  17. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Their best wide out is hurt right now in Greg Jennings and Rodgers offensive line is awful. Makes our offensive line look good. Aaron has been sacked 26 times in just 8 games yet he still keeps getting up and is posting ridiculous numbers yet again. He's on pace to get sacked over 50 times. That's just unreal. Their offensive line has been awful for the last several years. Even in the year they won the Super Bowl they weren't very good.
  18. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

But do take note that only THREE QB's are getting less help from the running game. What do you really expect to happen when you air it out 62 times in a game?
  19. pjtoadie

pjtoadie Cleveland's #1 Cowboys fan

1,893 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    Well when you're down 23-0 you don't have much of a choice. If it would have been a closer game in the first half they would have probably run it more.
  20. Cowboys&LakersFan

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    True to a certain extent, but at the same time there were several times where we were a yard away from getting the first down and Garrett inexplicably would call three consecutive pass plays. Dude is a moron when it comes to calling plays.