1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Giants Vs. Cardinals

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by Hoofbite, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I don't know what to think about the NFL anymore.

Every week there seems to be some stupid rule that you've never seen before come into play and effect a game.

Giants WR Victor Cruz stumbled to the ground without being touched and dropped the ball when he was getting up.

Arizona jumps on the ball because the play is not over and they recover it.

The officials rule that Cruz had "given himself up" and therefor the play is over, Giants retain possession and they throw a TD on the next play.

First and foremost, he didn't give himself up as he stumbled and secondly when the hell did they put this rule in?

How can a guy be getting up off the ground and also be giving himself up? Sure, he thought the play was over but how does it make sense that a guy get up off the ground and yet they say he gave himself up?

At what point is someone getting back up to run?

I dunno what to think anymore. Every week there's something different that you see and ask yourself what the hell is going on.

Also, in the Falcons game Roddy White caught a sideline pass got two feet in and was shoved to the ground OB and lost the ball after his knee hit out of bounds.

I thought the ruling of maintaining possession throughout the play only pertained to plays in which the player is not tackled.
  2. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

7,702 Messages
    1,287 Likes Received
    I swear these rules are made up on the fly. I also think we never get a break like this to go our way and it always to happen with the Giants or some other team I can't stand.
  3. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,421 Messages
    499 Likes Received
    Not sure where you got that idea. It's always been anytime a player goes to the ground during the catch he has to maintain it. Whether he goes to the ground on his own or because he is hit is irrelevant.

That Giants/AZ one sounds pretty damn stupid.
  4. George

George a legend in your own mind

581 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    I agree. When does a player get to stop a play, outside of the endzone and within bounds, by giving up. He didn't seem to realize that the play was still "on" because he thought he was touched by a Cardinal player. In essence, the ref interfered with the play to help the Giants win the game.
  5. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    I dunno why I am thinking that.

Clearly you are right because I remember the Oakland play from a couple of years ago that was overturned.

Maybe that has to do with ball carriers.

Not sure.
  6. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    You KNOW if any Cowboy player did that it would have been a fumble. No doubt in my mind.
  7. Califan007

Califan007 Well-Known Member

1,223 Messages
    131 Likes Received
    The refs in the Skins/Broncos Super Bowl claimed Doug Williams "gave himself up" when he went to the turf untouched and dropped the football while doing so. Only, Williams went to the ground due to the pain from twisting his knee. That makes more sense to claim he gave himself up. Cruz, though, looked like he stumbed and then looked like he assumed he was touched while down.
  8. Tom [Giants fan]

Tom [Giants fan] Active Member

638 Messages
    31 Likes Received
  9. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I just saw the play. IMO, it should have been a fumble.

What we have here is yet another example of an overly complex rulebook getting in the way of the game.
  10. Tom [Giants fan]

638 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    If you see the play in slow motion. You will see Cruz look to his left and see a defender, he then looks quickly to his right and sees a defender coming from the other way. As soon as he sees the defender to his right, that is when he goes down.

I'm not saying I know what his intentions were but it looks as if he goes down to avoid being squashed.
  11. Hoofbite

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    This guys a bigger hack for the referees than Periera was.

I think it's hilarious that Periera used to spout the same crap but now that he's got a job analyzing he says what he wants.

Pretty sure Periera called it a fumble.

He did. He said he thought Cruz stumbled and therefor did not deliberately give himself up.
  12. Tom [Giants fan]

638 Messages
    31 Likes Received
    I thought the same thing until I noticed in the slow mo replay that Cruz saw the defender coming from his right and that is when he went down.

I'm not saying he did what the refs said because I'm not in his head. I don't know if there is anyway to really know for sure.
  13. Jenky

Jenky Well-Known Member

3,429 Messages
    883 Likes Received
    Dude, he stumbled. He clearly lost footing. He didn't give himself up. Eli even admitted this.

What kind of player expects to be down after diving head first without being touched. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

You wanna give up? Take a knee or slide feet first.