1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gimme's safety draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by gimmesix, Mar 29, 2010.

1. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Just picked up PFW's draft preview, and decided while I'm combing over the evaluations I'd put together a series of position-specific drafts based on the write-ups and where PFW has the players ranked.

Essentially, this is a best-pick-per-round draft at one position based on who is expected to be available (per PFW).

1. FS Nate Allen, South Florida
    Would like to have taken Earl Thomas, but he is rated 12th by PFW. Allen is the 36th-ranked prospect and has great coverage skills to play center field, although his run support skills are questionable.

2. FS Chris Cook, Virginia
    Would be converted from cornerback because of his size to play safety, but will have to work on becoming a run supporter. Has nice size and speed for the position. Projected to be a second- or third-round pick.

3. FS Akwasi Owusu-Ansah, Indiana (Pa.)
    Great size-speed ratio and has the tools to mold into a top free safety. Probably will go higher based on his speed, but PFW has him as a fourth- to fifth-round prospect, and I’ve moved him up from there. And if Dallas has him rated in the second-round range, I'd take him over Cook.

4. FS Sherrick McManis, Northwestern or SS Barry Church, Toledo
    McManis has good speed and instincts for the position and plays physical, but possibly could have trouble transitioning from corner from a mechanics standpoint. Church would be a physical run-defending strong safety with solid short area zone coverage skills and starter potential. Both are projected to be fourth- or fifth-round picks.

6. FS Brian Jackson, Oklahoma or SS Terrell Skinner, Maryland
    Jackson is another corner convert who has good hands and reaction skills, but lacks speed. Skinner is a converted receiver who plays the run hard, but would be a work in progress in coverage. Jackson is listed as fifth- to sixth-round prospect, while Skinner is a late draftable pick.

7. FS Mike Newton, Buffalo or FS Van Eskridge, East Carolina
    Newton has good athleticism, instincts and character, and works hard in the weight room to overcome his size limitations. Might be my favorite underdog safety based on his write-up. Eskridge was the Defensive MVP of the East-West Shrine Game and has good hands, but he lacks speed. Both are listed priority free agents.
  2. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,044 Messages
    146 Likes Received
    Interesting approach. I like it, and I could see similiar things being useful as well....the all OL draft, in particular.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    No love for Robert Johnson out of Utah?
  4. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,178 Messages
    4,613 Likes Received
    Nice list and good work. There should be an OL for us at 27.
  5. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    or Mryon Lewis

Morgan Burnett
  6. gimmesix

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    No, because PFW does not include him in its analyses. He is listed as the 10th-best FS available in its position rankings in the back, two behind Eskridge.
  7. gimmesix

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Lewis could be interesting as a free safety prospect. He appears to be better coming forward to make plays than he does backpedaling. I didn't see anything about the possibility of him being a free safety, but his skills sound right for the position.

Burnett I don't think is worth taking in the second round and maybe not in the third. His speed and range are knocked and his analysis says he's undisciplined.
  8. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,822 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    Major Wright, Myron Rolle, Eddie Hicks?
  9. gimmesix

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I didn't like Wright over others in his draft range. PFW says Florida's talent on defense masked his coverage deficiences and that he is an in-the-box zone defender at best.

Rolle is "limited by his average play speed, lack of flexibility and marginal ball skills."

No information on Hicks, who they do not rank among 54 strong safeties and 34 free safeties, unless you mean Washington State's Xavier Hicks, who is the 31st-ranked free safety.
  10. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,822 Messages
    143 Likes Received

Eddie Hicks from Southern Mississippi