1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Glen Coffee Retires...????

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by JustDezIt, Aug 13, 2010.

1. JustDezIt

JustDezIt Formerly sm0kie13 ROY

3,627 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/13/glen-coffee-retires/

something had to be up, just cost him over 600,000. Wierd story.

Glen Coffee retires

Posted by Mike Florio on August 13, 2010 2:41 PM ET
    Well, we now have an explanation for Glen Coffee's mysterious absence from training camp.

According to Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com, Coffee has retired.

Per Maiocco, Coffee exits the game after drawing the ire of position coach Tom Rathman by getting blown up by Mike Balogun on a blitz.

A third-round pick in 2009 out of Alabama, Coffee had 83 carries for 226 yards in 14 appearances as a rookie, with two starts.

The 49ers are left with Frank Gore, Michael Robinson, and Anthony Dixon at running back. We've got a feeling that they'll be making a move to replace Coffee, soon.

The team will be able to recover the balance of his $828,000 signing bonus on a four-year deal.

It works out to $621,000.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    dumb. he should have made the team cut him. he'd be able to keep his money
  3. Dawgs0916

Dawgs0916 Will the Thrill

2,194 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I agree with this. As horrible as it sounds.
  4. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ian Rappaport form the Boston Herald seems to believe this may be due to "a higher calling". He thinks he may be heading to the ministry.?
  5. Avery

Avery The Dog that Saved Charleston

7,833 Messages
    333 Likes Received
    I don't think it's football that's taking him away from the game.
  6. Little_Roloff

Little_Roloff New Member

15 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's what the NFL Network was just saying. He's highly religious and that he may go off in that direction.

I was stunned to see he retired but I guess it's not all about money to some people. Tough loss for the 49'ers though.
  7. AbeBeta

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    Is God paying back all that cash? No? Then stupid call.
  8. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Good luck Glenn. I wish you nothing but success because you will be mocked for your decision.
  10. 1fisher

1fisher Active Member

5,655 Messages
    8 Likes Received

and that's very unfortunate...
  11. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    We both know a book that predicts that reaction. It is not surprising, Pat Tillman was mocked for retiring to be a soldier.

Money drives so many, that they cannot grasp when someone else is not driven by it. Same book discusses that too.
  12. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,761 Messages
    672 Likes Received
    The stupid call was you making that post.

Which is extremely sad.

Yes it is.

I wasn't on the internet forums back when Tillman left to be a soldier but if people mocked him for that then they're the ones who are absolutely pathetic.
  13. Alumni2k11

Alumni2k11 Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)

1,050 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Got to do what makes you happy.
  14. AbeBeta

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    No, the stupid call was a guy giving up nearly a million dollars. You have all your life to be a minister or whatever, yet you put yourself in a position for a certain career where a team made an investment. You can give the money back but you cannot give the team the pick they invested back. You go into the draft and you need to commit. Now he's screwed the 49ers out of a high pick.

You can call that his "calling" but others might call it shortsighted or even selfish.
  15. AbeBeta

25,171 Messages
    715 Likes Received
    probably also discusses honoring commitments. you can spin that **** 100 ways.
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,761 Messages
    672 Likes Received

Yeah. It's way less 'selfish' to just stay around doing something you don't want to be doing anymore just so some fans or a company, who will dump you in a heart beat and won't honor their commitment to you either if it suits them, aren't feeling cheated out of a draft pick.

Get out of town.

That whole argument, and not just in this particular case but all cases in sports, is nonsense.

These players don't owe it to the fans, the owners of the teams, or anyone to just stay and play there, or play for their contract when they've out played the terms of them, or to even stay in the game when they don't want to anymore.

You think if the 49ers found some running backs this year that they liked better, and believed would help them more, that they'd say "Gosh darn it. We like these other two backs better but, well, we better only keep one so we can keep that Coffee kid. I mean afterall we did make a commitment to him and all so we'd better honor it."

They'd cut his but and unemployee him quicker than you can blink an eye.

They guy doesn't want to play anymore, has something he'd rather be doing, and thats what he should be doing. Playing for the sake of playing cause someone drafted you is cheating yourself, them, and the game of football.
  17. Hostile

118,464 Messages
    1,590 Likes Received
    Actually if I remember right a whole group of fishermen actually dropped their nets to go into the Priesthood when they were invited to. So you're wrong.
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,124 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    If God calls you to the ministry, then it's an active call, one that needs to be obeyed immediately.

However, just because one is called doesn't mean one doesn't act honorably in informing others about one's decision.

I hope, if Coffee resigned because he was called to the ministry, that he probably informed the team and coach of his decision.
  19. DallasCowboysRule!

DallasCowboysRule! Well-Known Member

1,608 Messages
    270 Likes Received
  20. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    [IMG]