1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Glenn Beck makes some good points...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by vta, Apr 10, 2008.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    NEW YORK (CNN) -- Glenn Beck says that we, the people, should take an honest look at ourselves and take charge of our country.

My name is Glenn Beck, and I am a recovering alcoholic. It took me a lot of years and a lot of pain to be able to say those words and really believe them. Along the way, I was arrogant, greedy and self-destructive. But the worst part was that I didn't see any of it.

Even at the lowest, darkest points of my life, I still thought of myself as that successful guy who everyone loved. I was the life of the party, the guy who could do no wrong -- the guy who everyone else only wished they could be. At least that's what I thought.

Now I know better. People weren't looking at me with envy; they were looking at me with disgust as they watched me throw away everything I had worked so hard for.

I think America can relate.

Through hard work and unwavering principles, America took itself from a far-fetched idea to the greatest, most compassionate, most free country the world has ever known. But as our success has grown, so has our arrogance.

We've compromised our values, sold out our principles and used our freedoms to justify giving more power to the government. In the first century of America's life, its government was afraid of its citizens. Now, it's the other way around.

Maybe America should consider starting on the same kind of 12-step program that's helped millions of other addicts who couldn't see that they were slowly killing themselves. Here's my version of it, condensed to six steps since I know that Americans are way too lazy to stick around for all 12.

Step One: Admit we are not powerless.

Take a look at our Constitution. Not just a transcript; find an actual picture of it. The first three words, "We the People," are at least four times larger than the others. Do you think that was an accident? Of course not. Our framers chose those words, and made them that size, because they knew they were the answer to any problem we would ever face.

Step Two: Believe that a power greater than ourselves can restore us to sanity.

I think this one pretty much speaks for itself.

Step Three: Decide to take our power back.

A recent polls says 81 percent of Americans now say that our country is on the wrong track. If you're one of those people, who do you blame? The Bush administration? Congress? The media?

Here's a crazy idea: How about blaming ourselves?

If you don't like the fact that your city has led the country in poverty and homelessness for the last 10 years, then ELECT SOMEONE NEW. Stop voting for the same people from the same party every year.

Our power hasn't gone away (see Step One), it's just been masked by politicians who are tearing us apart for their own gain. We need to reclaim that power, and then we need to use it.

Step Four: Make a complete and fearless moral inventory.

Alcoholics aren't exactly big fans of introspection and self-examination, but this is one of the most important steps to recovery.

What are America's faults? What are our assets? By taking stock of both, we can start to work on maximizing our strengths and eliminating our weaknesses. It sounds simple, but when's the last time you really thought about what America does right? That brings me to Step Five.

Step Five: Admit our wrongs, and our rights.

We're constantly reminded about America's faults and flaws, but what about our achievements?

If you want to teach our kids about Vietnam, that's fine, but you better also teach them about World War II. And if you want to talk about our wars, you better also talk about our welfare. America is one of the most charitable countries in the history of the world, yet our mistakes are always glorified far more than our generosity. That needs to be reversed.

Step Six: Be ready to remove our defects.

Just like an alcoholic, we simply cannot go from sleeping on the street to perfection overnight. This is a big ship, and it takes a long time to turn it around.

But we have to start somewhere, and the best place is with the defects that almost all of us agree on. For example, does anyone really believe that being addicted to Saudi Arabia's oil is a good idea? What about China owning billions of our debt? Speaking of debt, what about the fact that we've saddled our children with $53 trillion in future Social Security and Medicare obligations?

But before we can address any problems, we have to first admit we have them. Many of us are in denial about just how divided we've become. We think that it's just the election or the war that's tearing us apart, but the truth is, it's much larger than that. We're every bit as arrogant, greedy and self-destructive as I was when I hit bottom.

Fortunately, it's not hopeless. It never is. If a program can work on a rodeo clown like me, it can definitely work for a country as great as ours. But until we're able to stand up and say, "Hello, my name is America and I have a problem," we'll never even have a chance.
  2. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If you don't like it then get out!

Just kidding.

Bush hasn't helped. He's a moron.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :confused:

Graduated from Yale.

:rolleyes:
  4. Jon88

Jon88 Benched

7,666 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And that did a lot.
  5. irvin88

irvin88 Active Member

1,668 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Higher IQ than Kerry and Obama. Fact.
  6. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    As soon as anyone starts about how stupid Bush is, you know right away that their opinion is worth about as much as a fart in a hurricane.
  7. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    Pretty much everything that is wrong with America today goes back to the 60s and the stupidity of far left liberals.
  8. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,146 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

you never fail to write something dumb
  9. burmafrd

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    From a frozen northern brain like yours I consider that a compliment.
  10. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Pow! Pow!

8,840 Messages
    94 Likes Received
    Proof?
  11. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Ironically, the point seems to have been missed.

He doesn't even mention Bush, but to ask if he's at fault. Bush isn't our problem, we are the problem.
  12. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That "whoosh" sound you heard was the point going right over their heads.
  13. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,146 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    good comeback marine.

I have to say despite the fact I do not consider you to be very intellectual and more of an automaton given your rote responses to most topics here, I did expect a little more analysis from you that your typical "it is all the left's fault".

then again, would you prefer we go back to the 50s where girls who did it were sluts, and gasp if they got pregnant, they were sent away to have a baby, where you were not allowed to question and where there were communist witch hunts.
  14. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,043 Messages
    60 Likes Received
    Oh wow, people are blaming the left, people are blaming the right...big surprise. And that's less than a dozen posts in.

Is it any wonder we're in a state of continual decline? Come on people, quit acting like our government is a giant pep rally and you are yelling "We got spirit yes we do" at the other side. There is only one side, the United States' side.

We have to work hard, we have to study hard, we have to pay attention to world affairs in details, we need manipulative entertainment hosts (cuz it sure as hell can't be called news) like Bill O'Reilly and Anderson Cooper to go to hell in a hand basket because they are more powerful than any entity manipulating the nation into ridiculous thoughts. And no, CNN isn't nearly as bad as Fox News (Which is a complete joke in terms of journalism) it’s not like you can't see an agenda pushed through their corporate arm. How else can you explain their lame debates this year? They totally railroaded the nation into viewing just a few candidates at a time, and even that changed from debate to debate. How about equal time, it’s not like I need to see a rerun of jackarse complaining about the border again...

Hard work, persistence and a some damn good luck made our country great, but now people feel like current and future generations are entitled to that greatness...unless you want to go the way of Rome you'd encourage your family and friends to come up with their own thoughts instead of adopting yours and eliminate this nationwide group-think, because through free, diverse thought our country was founded with the heart of Enlightenment principals, and those mostly rest in pure logic.

Good luck :)
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,245 Messages
    1,833 Likes Received
    I guess the nature of that comment proves Beck's point. 1st comment out the block is a generalized finger-pointing open book of nothingness. It's an endless circle until someone actually breaks it. That was the point of the article.