1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Global Warming Fellas...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    The global cooling issue is an interesting one. Hopefully, someone better informed than me will respond to the questions I asked earlier in this thread.

If you don't want to go all out to stop global warming until there is more scientific proof, that seems reasonable, but I personally think that market mechanisms alone would be enough to effect a "green" conversion. Of course, that would require the government to stop subsidizing the oil industry directly and indirectly by using taxpayer money to ensure access to supplies, promote political stability in oil-rich regions, and to protect our "national" interests militarily. Nominally, we pay only $3 gallon, but I assure you if we factor in military and foreign aid, "green" technologies would be a lot more competitive price wise.
  2. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Did I mention that Global Warming is happening?:D
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,022 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    i do agree we need to be environmentally conscious - yes.
    i do agree we should explore other forms of energy - always. yes.
    i do agree we can and should monitor things on a close basis and *track* this over long periods of time.

now on that matter, what's a "long" period of time? is 30 years out of 4 billion "long"?

no. but we've got to start somewhere and whatever happens it's our responsibility to document it as accurately as we can everywhere we can so in a few hundreds years we have more to go on that we simply do not have now.

in the meantime i don't think you'll find many people on "either" side of the issue saying we shouldn't take care of our environment.
  4. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    were all gonna die in 2011. in 2011 the earth will be directly in line with the sun. we will all melt to death. hopefully the cowboys will win 1 more superbowl before 2011
  5. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Global warming has been occurring for 10,000 years. :D
  6. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The problem is that none of these "green" technologies work worth a flip. We pump $2B a year into gw research and who knows how much into Iraq. This money could be spent on research for alternative fuels. We could've also been helping our current situation by drilling in ANWAR and off the coast of Florida. We could've also helped our situation by building nuclear power plants and developing more efficient electric cars. I can't believe we still can't build an electric car that can be driven 12 hours straight at 75mph without needing a recharge.
  7. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    OK now we're getting somewhere.

You now admit Global warming is happening...Good that's a start.:D
  8. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We need to put admission standards on campfires - dang cavemen! :lmao2:
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    On the point of alternative fuels, they are already there. There has been a viable fuel alternative that has existed since 1977, that I am aware of. It was developed right here at Phillips Labs/Sandia Labs. The problem is that, like many other alternatives, it is not marketed. The alternative is not expensive and it's made of of very commen by products found in our every day life. The problem is not development. The problem is that the Oil Company is a multi Billion dollar industry. Those boys will not go easily. If we really wanted to get off fossel fuels, we could. At some point, we'll have to. I just don't see it happening any time soon and it really should, it just won't IMO.
  10. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Enlighten us on these alternative fuels.
  11. Rackat

Rackat Active Member

2,134 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    FM Radio was available as early as the 1940's. It sat on the shelf, Patented, until the 1960's and 1970's when the company that owned the patents was ready to market it. What was there reasoning behind not getting this much better product out on the market? There was still money to be made selling AM radios.
  12. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
  13. ABQCOWBOY

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    I can not. However, I can tell you that they exist. The technoligy is available. It is a dollars and cents thing.
  14. ABQCOWBOY

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    I believe that Global Warming is taking place. I believe that it is taking place at an accelerated rate. Global Warming and Global Cooling are linked. I do believe we are seeing this take place.
  15. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,064 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    So, uh, ABQ....you are kinda cryptic in your responses. Just wondering - anything to do with your proximity to Los Alamos? :biggrin:
  16. ABQCOWBOY

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Hey Crown, are you trying to ask me if I'm James Bond?

:laugh2:
  17. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,613 Messages
    365 Likes Received
    IMO, it's not just the oil industry slowing progress. It's the auto industry. They don't want to spend the money to experiment to come up with new technologies when they have the IC engine already in place. Why spend money to develop new technologies when you don't have to?
  18. Crown Royal

10,064 Messages
    456 Likes Received
    I agree here, but at the same time find it laughable. Whoever creates a, say, hydrogen fuel cell car that is reasonably priced and easy to produce will overtake Henry Ford in importance as far as auto making.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received

Well, I do believe that the Detroit Big Three are in bed with the Oil companies. However, it occurs to me that a redesign would really not be all that difficult. The hard part is the refining of the fuel. The actual changes required are not really all that tough. The design is basically already there. If you really think about it, this change represents a huge financial opportunity for the Auto Industry. Imagine, how many new cars would this mean to an industry that could really use that kind of boom.
  20. Crown Royal

10,064 Messages
    456 Likes Received

Refining of what fuel? I know that for some reason or another you don't want to give a straight answer, but I am still curious to know what the fuel might be. Bio, nuclear, what?