1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Global Warming Fellas...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by ABQCOWBOY, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Lost in the Woods

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    Isn't that the truth. You take your life in your own hands when you bike to work.
  2. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,022 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    there are some people who live close to work who do bike in but im like 15 miles away over 2 toll roads and a lot of construction. my 2001 dodge 4x4 is needed just for survival these days.

i am thinking about a motorcycle to help offset the costs. just never had one before and not sure what ones i could really get that wouldn't cost too much.

bp - you into bikes? i know harley is the "rage" but i also for some reason like yamaha and triumph. any thoughts on those?
  3. Sasquatch

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I see more and more scooters these days. For urban dwellers, I suspect that is the wave of the future.
  4. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,813 Messages
    2,902 Likes Received
    You know I love to look at motorbikes. Love to watch shows about them being made.

But I doubt there is anyway I would buy and ride one.

When I was a child I had a couple and for whatever reason I always would wreck them. No serious injuries but just figured that maybe it was not the safest thing for me. :laugh2:

Plus I would only get a few months out of the year to ride them being in WV.

I tell you what I do think I would like to do, and I think I would feel more comfortable about it.

I would love those old army style motorcycles with the side car. Have always thought they were cool looking and may be safer for ME.

I know that motorcycles would save you on gas. But if you are in area like I am it would just be a seasonal thing so I would not be able to make it reliable transportation for work.
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,064 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    I wish I were an urban dweller. I would buy a scooter and consider that my transportation. I hate owning a car, driving a car, riding in a car, etc. etc. etc. Unfortunately, living in a city is soooo cost prohibitive, and in Dallas, the public transportation is very lacking. They are trying, but it will take years.
  6. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,039 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Some people DO have to drive to work. However, others are just too damn lazy to make a change. Everyone who drives should ask themselves -- are there public transport options? can I carpool? do I live close enough to walk or bike?

I live in a rural community -- I do walk to work (about 1.5 miles) -- what does that mean? It means give or take finding parking that I leave about 15 minutes earlier each day. Everyday, I see people who I know -- people who work closer than I do driving up the street by themselves.

Some people can't do things differently -- but there are likely millions who can and don't.
  7. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,022 Messages
    1,049 Likes Received
    at 6'4" 320-330 range, a "scooter" just won't cut it.

thanks bp! i'll just dig around and see. doubt i'll get anything but at one point i also never thought i'd own a gun but i do now. go figure life.
  8. BrAinPaiNt

59,813 Messages
    2,902 Likes Received
    You giving your weight/height and the idea of a scooter reminds me of one of the bikes I had and why I don't feel safe on them.

I kept wrecking on this minibike and saying it was taking off on me.

They thought it was just me as a kid not knowing how to shift and so on.

So I was out and asked a friend of the family to see if he could try it and see if something was wrong.

His dimensions were similar to yours but just not as tall. His knick name was Fat Cat so that should let you know he was not a small guy.

That thing took off on him as well.

He told my parents...that MINIbike is possessed and should not have that kind of power to take off on someone as heavy as me. :laugh2:
  9. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Crown, there are literally multiple forms of alternative fuels. Bio alternatives have existed for 30 years or more. There are millitary vehicals prototypes that utilize nuclear power plants. There are solar, thermal and even hybred petrol alternatives that burn much more efficiantly then what exists today. Seriously, the technoligy is already out there. It's a matter of adopting it and using it.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,246 Messages
    1,331 Likes Received
    Did he refere to it as "Christine" when he was telling this story and was he wearing Buddy Holly Shades all the while?

:D
  11. Sasquatch

4,450 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    It could have been worse; it could have been a possessed unicycle. I shudder at the thought. :D
  12. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm guessing you have experienced our cities during rush hour. I wouldn't drive anything around here during rush hour that had less than four wheels. You also can't get on the interstates with a scooter, so your commute is going to take hours (our lights aren't timed in Atlanta). I live about 20 miles from work and it takes an hour by car. If we had a bike path going directly from where I live to where I work, I would be able to get to work in about the same time, and I would get tons of exercise. The distance isn't a problem. I usually cycle for 40-60 miles on the Silver Comet Trail. The problem is that it's extremely dangerous to cycle on these roads during rush hour. I seriously doubt a scooter would be any safer.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

59,813 Messages
    2,902 Likes Received
    It's kind of funny because for years anytime someone would use alternative fuels, bio-diesel (willie nelson) or other forms.

They have been all labeled hippies, moon childs, tree huggers and so on by those that were not into the idea.

Now it is starting to turn and those that have been calling for it as years have to actually laugh at those who are finally "appearing" to change their minds on alternatives.
  14. BrAinPaiNt

59,813 Messages
    2,902 Likes Received
    :laugh2: I saw it take off on him. Threw him off the bike as the front end did a wheelie. That was a little bike but it was seriously possessed or had more power than a bike 5 times it's size.

Funny thing is you brought up buddy holly shades. They guy did have similar glasses (rims) that would turn dark when the sun hit them...most do now days but back then it was not as common.
  15. Crown Royal

10,064 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    I have a job where I travel throughout the US for long periods of time. I have experienced several cities transit systems. Chicago, for instance - why anyone would own a car outside of limited use is beyond me, the public transit is excellent. Larger midwest and north east cities seem to match this.

But areas in the south like Atlanta, Dallas, and even the west like LA are seriously lacking in public transit. Those three cities are awful to drive in, but offer nearly nothing by way of a solid public transit system. It's a shame.
  16. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,039 Messages
    660 Likes Received
    Really it is in most cases an issue of sprawl -- LA has good transit from the outlying areas into downtown -- the problem is that downtown isn't where the majority of people work. I'm sure when you go to LA you don't have business just in downtown - you are likely off to Santa Monica, Westwood, the Valley, Orange County, etc. Contrast that with SF -- a city with an outstanding transit system. Why is it so good? Because everyone is going to or from the same relatively small patch of city.
  17. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have the worst mass transit system of any major city. We basically have a east-west and north-south rail lines with the north-south splitting. The trains only travel through a few of the suburbs and MARTA doesn't service some of the largest counties at all. MARTA only covers about the last five miles of my twenty mile commute (and only by bus in that area). Even DART (Dallas) does a much better job. Boston's system seriously puts ours to shame.
  18. Crown Royal

10,064 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    I used to think this was true until I went to Chicago. You can go generally anywhere in that city on the trains and bus routes, and it is every bit as spralled.

The problem with places like LA and Dallas is that, unlike Chicago, they have always been relatively rich cities, and have developed over the last 20-40 years with strong suburban developing. They never really saw the need to have a public transit system until now. And even then, it is hard to convince people who have always had a car to get around how much easier it can be without one.