1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Global Warming?

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Bach, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Decade has had fewest 90-degree days since 1930
    By Tom Skilling
    August 13, 2008
    August is the wettest and often the muggiest month of the year. Yet, summer heat continues in short supply, continuing a trend that has dominated much of the 21st Century's opening decade. There have been only 162 days 90 degrees or warmer at Midway Airport over the period from 2000 to 2008. That's by far the fewest 90-degree temperatures in the opening nine years of any decade on record here since 1930.

This summer's highest reading to date has been just 91 degrees. That's unusual. Since 1928, only one year—2000—has failed to record a higher warm-season temperature by Aug. 13.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-tom-skilling-explainer-13aug13,0,918946.story
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,423 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    Maybe where the writer lives.

However it has hit over 100 degrees quite a few times where I live. June had one week where it was flat out miserably and I thought I was going to have a heat stroke. Went so far as to go to the ER after mowing that one day.

Now...global warming threads bore the hell out of me, but the highest reading to date only being 91 degrees just does not fly where I live.
  3. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's GLOBAL WARMING, not W VA warming.

Probably all the hot air there, is my guess. :D
  4. BrAinPaiNt

60,423 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    I think the embalming fluid being consumed by Byrd is the culprit. :laugh2:
  5. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It doesn't suggest it hasn't gotten over 91 degrees anywhere in the world.

Also, does it usually get over 100 degrees a few times each summer where you live, or is this suddenly a new occurrence?
  6. BrAinPaiNt

60,423 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    It has been worse the last 3 years. That or it just seems worse because I am older, which is a possibility.:mad:
  7. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think it does seem worse the older we get. Fortunately, I've been about 29 for a decade now. :D
  8. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Byrd is a tyrd.

:laugh1:
  9. BrAinPaiNt

60,423 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    A dried up old turd...kind of looks like those dehydrated pork patties that they used to put in MREs:laugh2:
  10. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Geez, thanks for that little trip down memory lane. They were the worst.

Oh, and remember the reconstituted beans????

:puke:
  11. BrAinPaiNt

60,423 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    The pork patties were the absolute worse thing. While we were on convoy back to the base after a field exercise. Sometimes we would pass through some villages and some of the Korean kids would come out and yell for stuff.

If we had any extra stuff from MREs we would throw it out to them. It was funny though because they knew the pork patty and soon as they opened it they would drop it or throw it back at us like we were jerks.:laugh2:
  12. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    LOL. And you would deserve it. Couldn't part with the John Wayne bars could ya? Noooooo, had to be pork patties. Way to spread the American hospitality.

:laugh2:
  13. BrAinPaiNt

60,423 Messages
    3,660 Likes Received
    Well at least I was not a jerk like some guys who would whiz out those hard oatmeal bars and crack kids in the head with them. :laugh2:
  14. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey, if you ran out of HGs they would work just as well. :eek:

I know a guy who broke a tooth on one of those things.
  15. masomenos

masomenos Less is more

5,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  16. Bizwah

Bizwah Well-Known Member

5,938 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    The last two years have been pretty cool here in SW MO.

This winter was one of the coldest on record. Summers here are usually hot, humid, and miserable. Temps are usually in the high nineties with heat indexes well over 100 degrees. But the last two years have been very nice. We've hit ninety only a few times.

Today, mid-August we're normally just sweating it out. But it's in the low 80s.

I played golf yesterday and barely broke a sweat.
  17. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

32,844 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    Its Global Warming or Global Cooling ...... depending on whichever gives the most clout at the moment.
  18. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In Atlanta, I don't think we've even had a 100 degree day here. Yesterday, we had a high of 81. Usually, most days are well above 90 for August here. Our summer has brought very mild temperatures and much higher than normal humidity.
  19. AtlCB

AtlCB Active Member

3,683 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's why it's now called Climate Change.
  20. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Climate Change is scary. Sometimes it's hot, sometimes it's cold. I just don't know what to do. :eek: