1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

GM to pull the plug on Pontiac

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by Doomsday101, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- General Motors is preparing to announce that the Pontiac car brand, once marketed as GM's "Excitement division," will be killed off, according to a source familiar with the decision.

An official announcement is expected Monday. GM spokesman Jim Hopson declined to comment on Pontiac's fate, saying the automaker has no announcements to make at this time.

In its most recent "viability plan" - which will be updated to reflect this new brand cut - Pontiac was not named as one of GM's four "core brands." Those are Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac. But Pontiac was also not to be killed or sold off, as were Saturn, Saab and Hummer.

Instead Pontiac was to continue on as a "niche brand" focusing on just a few models.

That was already a step down for Pontiac which in 2008 was the third-best selling brand behind Chevrolet and GMC. That year the brand sold more than Cadillac and twice as many vehicles as Buick. Cadillac is a high-profile - and high profit - luxury brand while Buick is a hugely popular brand in China and is seen as resurgent in the United States.

In 2005, GM (GM, Fortune 500) vice-chairman Bob Lutz referred to Buick and Pontiac as "damaged brands" during a conference at the New York Auto Show. That set off speculation that one or both of these brands was doomed.

With a focus on affordable luxury, Buick's hopes have been revived by models like the popular Enclave crossover SUV. Improvements in Buick Quality, which earned a top ranking in a recent J.D. Power dependability survey and a public acknowledgement by President Obama, have also helped Buick keep its place in the shrinking pantheon of GM names.

Pontiac performance
    Pontiac's association with performance dates back to the late 1950s and early 1960s. Pontiac cars were designed with wider bodies for cosmetic reasons and the wheels were pushed out to match. This "wide-track" design became a selling point and was advertised as giving Pontiac cars a distinct cornering advantage over other cars.

But the idea of Pontiac as a performance brand was solidified in 1964 with the creation of the Pontiac Tempest LeMans GTO. That car quickly evolved into, simply, the GTO and is often credited with creating a new class of American car, the muscle car.

Under Lutz, plans were formed to bring back some actual excitement to the Pontiac brand, which hadn't seen much since the Firebird - a flashier Pontiac version of the Chevrolet Camaro - ended production in 2002.

One strategy floated for Pontiac was to sell only, or mostly, rear-wheel-drive cars. That would set it apart from other GM divisions, and most cars sold in America. Rear-wheel-drive is associated with performance brands like BMW.

Unfortunately, the re-introduction of the Pontiac GTO name on a performance coupe imported from Australia didn't result in big sales. So far, the Pontiac G8, a rear-wheel-drive four-door sedan also imported from GM's Australian Holden division, hasn't been a sales success either, despite good reviews.

Pontiac's most popular products remain the G6, a decent but unexciting midsize car available as a sedan, coupe or convertible, and the Vibe, a small wagon shared with Toyota, which sells it as the Matrix.

Any plans to return Pontiac to the heavy-horsepower days of the '70s ended as gas prices rose and Congress prepared stricter fuel economy rules for the industry.

Those pressures resulted in GM quietly introducing the Pontiac G3, which had been sold in Canada only. Once again, Pontiac was selling a rebadged Chevrolet product, this time the Korean-built Aveo subcompact car.

Pontiac's current role in GM seems mostly to be to support GMC and Buick by providing a brand under which Pontiac-Buick-GMC dealers could sell non-luxury cars, filling out what then becomes a full-line showroom.

The brand-channel strategy now makes it easier for GM to phase out the brand because it would cause less harm to dealers, independent business protected by strong state franchise laws. When GM phased out Oldsmobile in the early 2000's, it cost GM more than $1 billion to buy out the contracts of Oldsmobile dealers who were left with nothing to sell.

This time, most Pontiac dealers will have other products to sell.
  2. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

6,993 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Wahoo ! Camero won the firebird - camero wars !
  3. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
  4. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    damn, that does look sweet

but taut, athletic design? don't you think that's going a little overboard? I mean are you going to do hurdles with it? lol
  5. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    Maybe. :lmao2: They took the 1969 design and sleeked it out a bit but that is a nice car with a 426 V8 on the SS model
  6. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Unbelievable.

Never in a million years did I think there would be a day that Pontiac didn't exist.

[IMG]
  7. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,118 Likes Received
    After Smokey and the Bandit most guys wanted that car. Pontiac never followed it up with an exciting car. Then again most cars lack excitement.
  8. ConcordCowboy

ConcordCowboy Mr. Buckeye

12,747 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  9. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,153 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    That's until you put it next to a Challenger, then not so much.

And it in no way resembles a 69.
  10. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,486 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I have a 2001 Grand Prix GTP. Sorry to see you go Pontiac.
  11. ajk23az

ajk23az Through Pain Comes Clarity

7,664 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    I had a 79' Trans Am and a 03' Grand Prix GT. Both really good cars.

I'm sad to see it go also.
  12. the kid 05

the kid 05 Individuals play the game, but teams beat the odds

9,540 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    by hurdles you mean running over the import cars then yes ;)
  13. ChldsPlay

6,153 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    Stupid little cars and their lame spoilers and fart can exhausts.
  14. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    The interior of the new challenger is so Fisher-Price, I love the outside though.

That's the problem with most domestic cars like this, the outside looks great but the inside is plain vanilla or worse, completely plastic.

At least they tried on the Camaro interior.

My first car was an '81 Camaro Z28 with a 406 small block and T-Tops, that was a lot of fun driving around the suburb I grew up in. :)
  15. ChldsPlay

6,153 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I love the interior of my car, with the steering wheel possibly being the exception. It is simple but high quality. I had an '06 Mustang and it was cheap as hell, definitely fisher-price. The Camaro interior looks pretty bad IMO. I'll take the Challenger interior every time. Actually I think I'd take the Mustang interior over the Camaro interior as well, especially the 2010 Mustang.
  16. Rogah

Rogah Well-Known Member

3,668 Messages
    69 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :bow:
  17. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,722 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    Getting lost in all of this, is this debt swap to creditors and the union leaves the common stock shareholders with only 1% of the company. It will be interesting to see how this all turns out.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,856 Messages
    881 Likes Received
    Eh, I don't know about all that. I'd take either the Camaro or the 2010 Mustang over the Challengers interior, but I like the Challengers exterior the most.

I was about 5 seconds from buying a white Challenger as my first car, so I've always loved the look of the car. But the interior of the new version is just too generic. From the instrument panel to the stereo to the shift lever, just looks like it could be in any other Dodge car.
  19. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,010 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Given the state of Pontiac the last what, 20 years or so, I say good riddance. Too much money to rehabilitate the lineup and the brand image, just cut it off and focus on the brands that don't have these problems (or don't have them as bad as Pontiac does).
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,305 Likes Received
    Yeaa....nobody cares about that. :laugh2:

I'm just glad I don't have to see a new Solstice...ever.