1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Good at-home ab workouts

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by chip_gilkey, Apr 2, 2012.

1. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I've started working out at home with dumbbells but I always leave my ab workouts feeling like I haven't done much. How many of you do yours at home and what routine do you do? Heres my info:

23 years old
    5'9"
    150 pounds

This is my usual routine:

3 sets of 30 reps of weighted (20 pound dumbbell) vertical leg crunches
    3 sets of 30 reps bicycle crunches
    3 sets of 1 minute long planking exercise (assume push up position but don't actually do the push up you just hold it)

then occasionally I will do some side bends with a dumbbell.

I work them enough that they start to fail towards the end and I can rarely perform the 3rd set of bicycle crunches without messing up my form because they are so tired. However a couple hours after doing this routine my abs feel fine and there is no soreness or fatigue or anything. I typically work them 3 times a week. I have developed some muscles and you can see my six pack if I haven't eaten much that day :laugh2: but I just don't feel like I'm working them enough, advice?
  2. rkell87

rkell87 Well-Known Member

7,361 Messages
    130 Likes Received
  3. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ab workouts don't need to be heavy to be effective. Concentrate on efficiency, not quantity.

...and you don't really need to work them more than 1-2 times a week IMO.

If your just going for looks more than performance, just work on your diet.
  4. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Work out 3 times a week. You don't wanna strain yourself.
  5. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,520 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Im thinking about getting into boxing, should I workout my abs every other day?
  6. chip_gilkey

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
  7. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    No..you should box every other day. Working out your abs every other day is pointless, unless it's part of a complete core training regiment, or while getting your cardio in as well.
  8. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    YES. If you are going to be boxing, your core is probably the most important muscle group in your body, in my opinion. The only thing that should come before your core is your cardiovascular conditioning.

Core strength is very important to not only being able to take shots to the body, but in helping your upper body movement and adding torque and power behind your power punches (cross, hook, uppercut).

Being able to a) last in the ring, and b) having a strong core are the keys to successful fighting.

I boxed at West Point.
  9. danielofthesaints

danielofthesaints Well-Known Member

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Abs are made in the kitchen, not in the gym.
  10. chip_gilkey

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    After doing a little bit of reading this seems to be the consensus. I'm working on that. Oatmeal and dry toast in the morning, chicken wrap (1 whole chicken breast) with low fat ranch for lunch, and a salad with another whole chicken breast or some other lean protein for dinner, no carbs late at night. Let's see how long I can keep this up before I break down and eat a large pizza :laugh2:
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,336 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    My wife will get on the hardwood floor with a dish rag. She will put the dish rag under her feed and get in a pushup type stance and pull her feet in and out and to the sides.

That will rip your abs all to hell! :laugh2:
  12. Trendnet

Trendnet Active Member

732 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    This.

You'll need to get your body fat down to the 10% range and possible lower to have that 6 pack look.

Ab workouts shouldn't be any more frequent than any of you other muscle groups either. They need as much time to recover as your pecs do.
  13. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,408 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    No pun intended, but Absolutely.

Eat lean to get lean. The workouts will build those muscles but to define them it is diet.

Not to mention beer, carbs, late night eating in general.
  14. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,336 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    Can't have abs without your beer, carbs, and late night eating!
  15. danielofthesaints

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Oatmeal- stray away from the packets. Most of them contain a large amount of sugar. Pick up the larger cylinders of natural oats. This with a dash of honey and fresh fruit gets the morning started well. Kick the low fat ranch. "Low fat" is such a misleading term. If you can keep away from the carbohydrate-rich food late at night, more power to you. Every once and a while, give yourself a cheat day where you can take down a juicy burger or few slices of pizza, but make sure you understand that a cheat day lasts only a day.;) Something that I've stuck by for awhile now is to eat about 1/2 the portion I would usually eat per sitting, but increase the amount of sittings. Hope that helped a little.
  16. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hate dieting, but I'm trying to get a girlfriend for the 1st time in my life so I have to do it.
  17. MC KAos

MC KAos Well-Known Member

7,499 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    you should get a job where you can socialize with your girl coworkers. i think well over 50% of my post high school girlfriends were coworkers from my time at HEB, lifeguard, etc.
  18. KJJ

KJJ You Have an Axe to Grind

12,110 Messages
    1,271 Likes Received
    Side bends using weights can make your waist wider by building the obliques so keep that in mind. The best thing for the abs is cardio. There's a misconception that doing lots of sit-ups/crunches and other ab workouts are going to give you that washboard look but all crunches really do is tighten the muscles under the fat. You need to burn fat to define and lean the abs so make sure you include a lot of cardio in your workout.
  19. danielofthesaints

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    lifeguarding :D there's some very easy hookups there. c&lakersfan, don't diet because you are trying to get a girlfriend. Once you start doing things that build your self-confidence, the girls will follow. If you come in with the mindset that your improving something for the sake of some one else, then most often, you're gonna be disappointed in the results you get.
  20. danielofthesaints

1,056 Messages
    109 Likes Received
    Along with cardio, you want to do some low intensity activities such as a moderate pace on an elliptical to target the fat for energy instead of your carbohydrate storage. This will trigger your body to use fat as its source of ATP rather than simple sugars. So in short, keep your heart rate at about 60% of its peak and you should be in that zone.