1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Good-bye print version of the "The Sporting News"

Discussion in 'Sports Zone' started by MichaelWinicki, Dec 17, 2012.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,025 Messages
    1,895 Likes Received
    I saw a note in our Sunday paper that the "Sporting News" will cease the ink-on-paper version of the magazine/newspaper next month– electing to do just a digital version. They'll still do 6 "annuals" for various topics.

Kinda sad.

Another part of my youth disappearing. I subscribed to "TSN" for several years. For baseball news you couldn't top it.
  2. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,734 Messages
    1,165 Likes Received
    I wonder how many years before all papers, magazines, etc. are just stuff for museums.

The world is changing.
  3. Jammer

Jammer Retired Air Force Guy

2,806 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Sad, but expected. I also had a TSN subsription for many years.
  4. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It is sad to see some of the great papers closing their print sections and going digital. This is the way things are today and will be forever.

Its good and bad. I like the instanct access, but will miss the nostalgia of news print.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    I missed their draft guide last year. Even though it was always against the grain.
  6. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    This is what's occurring with the draft stuff too. Draft Insiders Digest has gone digital only. I fear Kiper and others are heading that way.

Call me a caveman but I like having the book in my hands.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,025 Messages
    1,895 Likes Received
    I received my renewal notice from Kiper. They're only offering the one book this year.

Have we reached a plateau where interest in the draft is declining or (and more probable) are folks simply not buying these guides because every tom, dick and harry has a website with their own views (I'm not saying those views are accurate) of prospects of prospects so many are no longer paying for draft info?
  8. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,802 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    They killed it about 6 years ago when they went to twice monthly and made it their version of sports illie. Unfortunately the internet made alot of it redundant and old news by the time you got it.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,734 Messages
    1,165 Likes Received
    That or the newspaper in hand.

Being able to hold a full page in your hand to me is so much better than scrolling up and down looking at a monitor, tablet, or phone.

My wife teaches journalism at a college and all the kids in journalism dont even like reading the "paper." They would much rather read the news online.

We are probably the last generation that understands the beauty of reading the sports page on the throne every morning! :lmao2: