1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Good chance Eagles transition to the 3-4 defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by dmq, Jan 24, 2013.

1. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,835 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    'Good chance' Eagles transition to the 3-4 defense

1/24/2013 4:45:11 PM
    Share on email Share on print Share on twitter Share on facebook Share on Share on stumbleupon Share on digg | More Sharing ServicesMore

There is a good chance the Eagles switch over to a 3-4 under Chip Kelly — a sizable project in what will turn out to be a rather extensive remodeling effort this offseason, Tim McManus of Phillymag.com.

Kelly hasn’t publicly committed to the transition, and perhaps it would be best to officially have a defensive coordinator in place before doing so. But there is a sense that he would like to make the move.

According to Howie Roseman, the team’s preparations for such a change predate Kelly coming on board.

“What we do when we have have our meetings is make sure we are talking about guys in different schemes,” said Roseman. “As you can see, Andy [Reid] went to a 3-4 in Kansas City and he’s always talking about versatility. In the last year or two we’ve been talking about getting versatile players. When we have our first meetings in December we’re making sure that we’re talking about them in both schemes on defense and what they can do in different schemes so that if we were to make a transition, we could do that more readily.”

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/32421/-Good-chance--Eagles-transition-to-the-3-4-defense/Default.aspx
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,168 Messages
    2,796 Likes Received
    Eagles going to a 3-4 (maybe)

Chiefs are going to a 3-4

Saints are going to a 3-4

Rams going to a 3-4 with Rob Ryan aboard (maybe)

Maybe it is a good time to go back to a 4-3. More teams looking for 3-4 front-7 types.
  3. Crash Override

Crash Override Member

61 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I thought the Chiefs already ran the 3-4, they're just sticking with it? Crennel was head coach.
  4. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,330 Messages
    562 Likes Received
    I think they are going to have a harder time switching to 3-4 than we are going to the 4-3.
  5. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,651 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    They certainly have a lot of undersized personnel and the talent at LB has been bare there for years.
  6. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,150 Messages
    491 Likes Received
    Chiefs have been in a 3-4 under Crennel, I believe.

Not really sure why the Eagles would do it, none of their personnel really fit a 3-4 scheme. I guess Graham could play OLB and but how solid is he going to be there? Where does Trent Cole play? Kendricks could play inside but Demeco was let go by the Texans because he wasn't up to par in Wade's 3-4. They'd need a nosetackle too. A lot of work when they could have just hired a better defensive coordinator.
  7. natedoug

natedoug Member

63 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If Dallas does not resign Spencer - The Eagles may attempt to sign him if they go to a 3-4 ..:mad:
  8. Crash Override

Crash Override Member

61 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I have a feeling he'll complete the trifecta after Canty and Bowen.

But perhaps now he'll go to the Saints.
  9. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,067 Messages
    771 Likes Received
    That cha ching you hear is Spencer's pricetag going through the roof.
  10. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Anthony is a solid guy when he's HAD to be. His 2 best years by far have been when it's been a contract year. (the last 2 yrs to be precise) I simply don't trust him with a long term deal and if he signs with the Eagles or whomever for big money I'd say buyer beware. NOt ripping him....just stating my strong opinion on him.

....as for the other guys we've had that have escaped to rivals within the east:

1) Bowen: really good player, wish he wouldn't have got away...Snyder overpayed but what's new

2) Canty: he's Bowen Light....sure I'd like to have him but my GOSH the gspots overpaid. Double whammy when you can get him away from a division rival.

3) Loud Mouth Bennett: bonehead I don't miss.....:laugh2:
  11. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,933 Messages
    1,000 Likes Received
    With so many switching to a 3-4 now, I like that we're going the 4-3 route.
  12. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Bingo.
  13. Titleist

Titleist Active Member

555 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    Good, let them. I have a feeling Spencer topped out this last season and is already on the decline.
  14. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,146 Messages
    779 Likes Received
    Especially if they play a traditional two-gap 3-4. Higher-profile DLs like Fletcher Cox don't usually care for becoming a blocker magnet and not all 4-3 ends can transition to outside linebacker.
  15. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    They do, you're right.
  16. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    This is why you franchise and trade him. You get to decide what team he goes to and get picks for him.
  17. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Cheifs already ran the 3-4. Also the cards are going to the 4-3. San Deigo is talking about going to the 4-3 also.

I don'y understand why Saints and Eagles will switch to the 3-4, it will take thos two teams a few years to be ready.
  18. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,329 Messages
    274 Likes Received
    Not sure this makes any sense. You have your best year ever, so now you're in decline?
  19. bkight13

bkight13 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,375 Messages
    662 Likes Received
    This. His value will never be higher and at $10M with a chance to work out a new deal, we could probably get a 2nd or 3rd.
  20. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,753 Messages
    2,403 Likes Received
    He is saying that you have to be careful with guys who have their best season i contract years. The worry is that if you give him a big contract, he is going to go back to the way he played when money was not on the line.

In other words, will Spencer play like he did this year or will he go back to being "almost anthony" once he gets paid?

That is the concern.