1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goodell Concerned That HD Is So Good, There’s No Need To Buy Tickets

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by RS12, Nov 13, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,369 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    For tens of millions of Americans, there’s nothing better than spending 12 hours or so every Sunday sitting at home watching NFL games on TV. That’s great for the NFL’s bottom line.

But the ideal situation for the NFL is for those home viewers to be watching games played in sold-out stadiums. And NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell says he’s concerned that so many people enjoy the TV experience — especially as more and more people buy high-definition televisions — that fewer fans are willing to buy tickets to watch the games in person.

“One of our biggest challenges in the league is the experience at home,” Goodell said. “HD is only going to get better.”

Goodell made his comments before a group of Falcons fans in Atlanta, where the team and the league are asking for the city’s help in building a new stadium to replace the Georgia Dome. Goodell said that a good facility is the key to keeping the fans coming, but his statement raises an obvious follow-up question: If the fans are already perfectly happy to watch at home, and HD TV is only going to keep improving and keep making the at-home experience better, why should the fans support the use of taxpayer money to build a stadium?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-hd-is-so-good-theres-no-need-to-buy-tickets/
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,369 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    This guy really cant be this clueless can he.
  3. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

4,162 Messages
    808 Likes Received
    Uh, yea . . . . . . . . . . .
  4. muck4doo

muck4doo Active Member

1,902 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    lulz!!!:lmao:
  5. dasander

dasander Member

123 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Luckily, Cowboys Stadium has one of the biggest HD TV's in the entire world. Eat that Jeff Fisher!
  6. kmp77

kmp77 Active Member

5,945 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes....hd is too good to buy a $300 ticket and parking. $50 dollar ticket and free parking on the other hand.
  7. Blackspider214

Blackspider214 Well-Known Member

1,686 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Drop these insane ticket prices and PSL's, parking and concessions and maybe more will show up. Until then, shut up. NFL is making plenty of money for everyone involved. Trying to find ways to screw the fans will not end well.
  8. erod

erod Well-Known Member

3,889 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    Most stadiums are full.

Winning sells tickets. The market determines the price. Those that can't afford the price.....tough. Going to games is not a right, it's a privilege. Economics 101.

What they need to do is make going to the games more information driven. Showing the challenge replays is a start, but there are still massive holes in the presenation.

I love going to the games, but I often wish they'd do a better job of showing the scores of other games. The rare replay on the big screen is generally an hour or more behind, AS IS THE SCORE THEY SHOW. There should be scores with running clocks for each game around the stadium.

Likewise, they could have real-time stats for the game we're watching, as well as league standings and notable stats from other games, posted somewhere.

I understand why some would rather stay home because they do such a great job televising games (especially with the Red Zone channel). HD, surround sound, 60+ inch televisions......it's pretty awesome sitting at home. But I like the "event" of being there, especially for only eight games a season (plus playoffs hopefully).
  9. cowboys#1

cowboys#1 Finish!

2,407 Messages
    15 Likes Received
    pay per view $5 a game
  10. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    There is nothing like watching a Cowboys game live. I don't care how much HD you got.

The atmosphere is flat out pure excitement. I loved the games I was able to attend while living in Dallas.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,870 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    I thought it was pretty cool at Texas stadium.

Cowboys stadium is cool for a half hour and then when you're actually waiting for the football to start and the circus to end... THE CIRCUS NEVER ENDS!

It will take free tickets for me to go back to that place. It is not a football environment.

Prolly good for a concert though or something.
  12. crazytown41

crazytown41 Well-Known Member

1,111 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    Let's see. $300 to sit in nosebleed seats or use that money for NFL ticket and watch 15 games in the comfort of my own home?
  13. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,369 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    How bout spending the $300 for an HD flat screen for the man cave.
  14. Tricked

Tricked Fascinated

660 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yeah that's ********.... people don't go to a football game for the awesome quality of the field... they go for the experience... just like a concert, you get better audio quality from a CD but it's such an insane experience you want to see it live...
  15. crashintonickdm

crashintonickdm Active Member

700 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    They're compatible. It's not complicated, roger
  16. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

10,554 Messages
    161 Likes Received
    meanwhile the NFL keeps on pricing the majority of their fans out of the stadiums
  17. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,381 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    And that is the truth of it.

It's more corporate. Going to a few games a year is awesome...going to every game and being locked in, is a waste of money.

And I waste plenty of money.

It's not about HD. It's about the price. I am not a big Nascar fan, but they are certainly not making the money at the gate they used to, same with many sports...

Get players salaries in line with everything, and get your diehard fans back in full force.
  18. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,145 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    Yet, I am flying from Denver to watch the Cowboys play the Browns this weekend. Some things HD cant recreate.
  19. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

26,870 Messages
    1,134 Likes Received
    A lot of it is because they want to keep the hillbilly crowd out of there so they don't have to deal with as many fights and stuff.

It's gotten so bad though that just a regular hard working person can't even hardly get a ticket.
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,468 Messages
    469 Likes Received
    Exactly.

I would like to believe that Goodell is not this clueless and is just trying to not mention this for PR reasons. But he keeps saying stuff like this, so I start to think that he is completely out of touch with the typical NFL fan.

Forget about HD. I can go to the local sports bar, have a few drinks and food and a good time while spending a lot less.

YR