1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goodell Wants To Eliminate Kickoffs - Floats Novel Idea

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by houstonwhodat, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received

But what happens if we take your advice and we do go watch something else? I think you need only look at Pro Boxing to get that answer.

If we do start watching something else, then this game dies and that's the problem. You can't just change the game to serve a certain segment of people. You risk killing the fan base and that's a problem.
  2. cowboyeric8

cowboyeric8 Chicks dig crutches

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Fair enough. But it doesn't seemed to have stopped boxing.

I can see it now a punt to "kick-off" the super bowl, or better yet a 4 and 15 to "kick-off" the super bowl, nothing builds up excitement more than that.
  3. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    If half of them are touchbacks, it would seem that the impacts associated on half of the plays are greatly minimized.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received

The ratings would most certainly be GREAT if that happened.
  5. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,614 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    Pro boxers do get damaged. But that is a far far smaller sport and one in which the sport has changed. Boxers used to fight huge numbers of fights. Now you'd be hard pressed to find guys going it more than 2-3 times a year.

Fights also used to be 15 rounds. Again, the sport changed.
  6. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    The game is a product. Yeah, you can change the product but what might happen is that you might change it so much that you end up with Tabb instead of Coke and your market goes away.

It's a valid point.
  7. cowboyeric8

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    So essentially we are talking about around 6 plays a game? All these changes for 6 plays is ridiculous.

Just leave it alone.
  8. AbeBeta

25,614 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    And if you could cut that other half out the risk would be reduced even more substantially

Plus you'd get a whole lot more excitement than touchbacks offer
  9. cowboyeric8

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    And boxing spectators have dropped.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    It's a far far smaller sport now but numbers of fighters are really not what we are talking about. What we are talking about is the product and that is represented by viewers which translate into dollars.

The sport has changed. 30 years ago, I can recall parties where all the family and friends got together to watch fights. It was a big deal and much more popular. Now, it's not that big a deal. I can't remember the last time I went to a party for a Boxing Match.

The sport has changed but that doesn't mean that the change has helped the sport. It's on the verge of dying.
  11. cowboyeric8

5,255 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Also these are the same people wanting 18 games (another idea I hate). Is that for player safety too? Please.

They are doing this to try and create an image of a safer game. It's football, it's a contact sport, get used to it or shut up.
  12. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    Not, not necessarily. There will still be impacts, even if you were punting the ball.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    I'm going to go get some lunch. I'll be back.
  14. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Boxing has dropped because no one with a darn will fight each other until they are both washed up.

Pacquiao and Mayweather should have fought years ago. That is what has killed boxing no more marquee match up has eroded the base from the golden ages. I mean I grew up to Leonard & Hagler fighting. Boom Boom Mancini vs hector Camacho. We got the perimeter fights from the 70's and 80's. Now you get Star versus tomato can. The product has become diluted crap and the three different belts.

Then we add in the growth off UFC and its gain with the younger crowd which has given up on boxing or never followed it because their where no good fights that they grew up with. UFC gives them the fights they want to see which makes for a better quality product.

going from 15r ounds to 12 rounds did not hurt boxing, corruption is what has started the decline of boxing.
  15. AbeBeta

25,614 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    Dude, it certainly isn't dying because of the changes. It is dying because of the lack of talent and the lack of interest in participation in a sport that will give you brain damage.

Any similarities?
  16. AbeBeta

25,614 Messages
    1,031 Likes Received
    A punt is far different as pretty much everyone but one guy is running in the same direction. On a kickoff you have guys running 20 or so yards, gaining steam, and hitting each other head on.
  17. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,747 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    That's a good point, windward.
  18. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    It's dying because there is no interest in it. The sport has basically killed itself. MMA is now much more popular and, may I add, much more violent.

Dude! it is dying because of the changes it's made.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

35,201 Messages
    2,039 Likes Received
    You trying to tell me that people don't get hurt on punts? Seriously?
  20. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,952 Messages
    1,387 Likes Received
    Maybe eventually they'll just outlaw defense.