1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goodell Wants To Eliminate Kickoffs - Floats Novel Idea

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by houstonwhodat, Dec 6, 2012.

1. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,418 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    I still laugh at the irony of taking an idea re player safety from a guy who tries to kill the opponent on knee downs.
  2. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,464 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    People do get hurt on punts. They do not experience anywhere near the blows to the head because you don't have the situation that you see on a kick off where you have people running from opposite ends of the field and then colliding. Over and over kickoffs have been identified as the most dangerous plays from a head injury standpoint.
  3. AbeBeta

25,464 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    That's just absurd. It is dying because they went to 12 rounds from 15? It is dying because boxers don't fight as much?
  4. PoetTree

PoetTree Active Member

339 Messages
    72 Likes Received
    I'd be on board, and think it's entirely honorable of the NFL to be looking out for the safety of the human beings playing the game. So often we refer to them as "players" or perhaps know them by their position and/or certainly their productivity. But in truth, they are human beings. Playing a game.

It broke my heart when Michael Irvin retired early due to the spinal-cord injury he sustained. The fan in me desperately wanted to watch him keep playing. The fan in me couldn't understand his decision to walk away. But when he shared the perspective that went through his mind about being able to play with his daughter, hold her in his arms, and what it felt like believing he would never be able to do so again...

.... well

Life needed Michael more than the game did, or even his fans.

People in and around the NFL have talked about the eventuality of someone dying on the field. They know such a grievous injury is most likely to happen during one of those high-speed collisions. They have ample evidence that shows most spinal injuries occur during those such plays.

I'm all for tradition, sometimes; and yeah, Kickoffs can be exciting plays.

But to help these "players" be happy, healthy human beings long after we've enjoyed watching them play, rah rah, I'm all for the NFL taking kickoffs out of the game.

Let's not complain.

Let's evolve.
  5. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
  6. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    This is a contact sport. Goodell is a idiot and is ruining the game.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,616 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    next step towards flag football

Just admit that is what you really want
  8. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Dumbest idea yet. More players get hurt going over the middle to catch a pass. What's next, outlawing the forward pass?
  9. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Yes and we need weight limits
  10. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,616 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received
    either make it flag football or leave it alone as it is

Anything else is hypocritical

if you are really "concerned" about the players all contact must be eliminated.

If you do not do that then you are just giving lip service
  11. Kilyin

Kilyin Well-Known Member

8,041 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    I think once a team gets into the red zone, they should just flip a coin. Heads you get a touchdown, tails you get a field goal. That way, we have less injuries, less time wasted reviewing plays, and you can then go automatically to this new non-kickoff clause.
  12. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    No, no, no... The team captains should just meet in the middle for the pregame coin flip. Whoever wins that, wins the game. Then Jerry can show The Notebook on the jumbotron while the kids play Red Rover on the field.
  13. landroverking

landroverking Well-Known Member

1,384 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    As long as the NFL let's players pick thier equipment they can't talk rule changes for saftey
  14. AbeBeta

25,464 Messages
    925 Likes Received
    Huh? Can you restate your argument in a way that makes sense?
  15. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,388 Messages
    2,299 Likes Received
    I lolled.
  16. sunbum

sunbum Active Member

772 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  17. Roadtrip635

Roadtrip635 Well-Known Member

762 Messages
    306 Likes Received
    Don't kid yourself, it has less to with the league being concerned about player safety and more concerned about adding two more games to the schedule. The spin is, if they can show they are trying to limit contact there will be less injuries and that adding more games will be more feasible.
  18. houstonwhodat

houstonwhodat Benched

149 Messages
    0 Likes Received

It's nothing more than the "Illusion" of safety.

You take the violence out of football then you have cricket.
  19. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That is kind of funny since next year they are required to wear knee and thigh pads. Opps you just showed that you are just blowing a lot of hot air.
  20. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,385 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    There is an Ex-NFL player on the local radio station here in Chicago, named Doug Buffone, who suggested, if you wanted to make the game safe, eliminate Zone Defense. He says if you played man to man, then you wouldn't have players coming at full speed and hitting someone, so much. It does make sense.