1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goose not liking the switch to a 4-3

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received
    And Goose... if you want to get technical... we don't have the personnel to play a 3-4 either.
  2. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,847 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    did anyone listen to the link? and i agree Goose hardly ever has anything good to say about the team.
  3. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Pretty sensible in this take.

Dungy said...it would take us two seasons just to acquire the personnel. NFL.com said league execs and scouts were staggered by the Kiffin hiring.

Just. Another. Scoop. Of. Stooopid.
    In Jerry's World
  4. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    so you dismiss those who say it was a good hire then prop up those who say bad hire.

got it.
  5. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,404 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Who of any intelligence has proclaimed it was a good hire...that isn't kissing up to Jerry?!!?

We'd be in such better shape right now with Ryan. With better roster health, a new safety and another year...Rob would have absolutely had us in the top 10, maybe top 5.
  6. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,775 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    I don't think Goose trust anything Jerry does...and he would have good reasons to feel that way. Personally, I like move to 4-3 but there has to be massive commitment to rebuilding that entire defensive line (OL as well).
  7. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    It's hard to find either one of those positions these days.

Ware fits anywhere on the DL standing up or with is hand in the ground.

Just like Ware he can play the closed side standing up or hand in the ground.

These notions about size are fantasyland ideas, football players are football players and can play nay scheme. The one constant in the NFL is speed, that is what separates the pros from the joes.

No he isn't but he is disruptive on the DL and is a good pass rusher when healthy.

All these problems are still there with a 3-4 scheme, no zero-tech, no ILB (backup), no proven safety.

So before you start asking all kinds of questions and/or believing what Goose is saying....these problems still exist no matter what scheme you want to run defensively.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,347 Messages
    1,366 Likes Received
    built in escape route, i see.
  9. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,847 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    slow down with the attacks, i didnt ask any questions nor did i say i agree with Goose, i posted a link, and briefly summarized what he said.
  10. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    all i care about is pass rush. in fact, i think with only one responsibility, Spencer will put up > Greg Ellis numbers.
  11. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Goose would of COMPLAINED if the Cowboys drafted JJ Watts instead of Smith.....Goose is just looking for a something to write/complain to get on ESPN or CNNSI.
  12. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I can see Dallas drafting Eric Reid in the 2nd round after grabbing a guard like Wormack or Cooper in the 1st round.
  13. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,205 Messages
    310 Likes Received
    what's a Reid type of safety? A first ballot HOFer type?
  14. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    If you took it as an attack that certainly wasn't the intent.

This roster has issues no matter what scheme we are trying to run defensively/offensively.

Had we stayed with the 3-4 we still needed OLB, ILB, DL, S. The argument that we aren't built for a 4-3 is misinformed at best. Finding quality football players is what most teams have issues with.

Ryan used alot of 4-3 formations, especially on 1st and 2nd downs. (run downs) In this day and age of the modern NFL defense you can't really hang your hat on one alignment and expect to be dominant. On top of that when you are spending about 65-70% of your snaps in a nickel or dime sub-package what your base defense is pretty irrelevant.

The Patriots have been able to switch back and forth between base alignments because they draft football players that are versatile. They understand the concept that you don't need a "specific" type of player to execute their schemes. They need a football player that doesn't make mistakes and can do their job on Sunday. That's why their offense uses the same personnel a majority of the game but they can line up in various formations and exploit a defense multiple ways. While your busy trying to figure out what formation they are lining up in and your putting a sub-package out there, Brady is already taking the snap.

Efficiency. That's the future.
  15. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Ware is plenty physical to play DE. That's crazy talk. He's more physical than Freeney or Mathis that's for sure.
  16. cml750

cml750 Well-Known Member

2,474 Messages
    704 Likes Received
    Other than the draft when has Goose ever been right about anything? For that matter when has he ever said anything positive about the Cowboys? If he thinks Ware can't play defensive end then he is officially an idiot.
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    We haven't had a safety in place since Woody left no matter what what style of defense we have played.
  18. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    That's the thing. Even if we'd kept everything the same, we'd need at least 2-3 new players anyway. At least.
  19. BlueStar3398

BlueStar3398 Active Member

1,544 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    I see Goose on "Cowboys Insider" every week. He's awful. :eek:
  20. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So he just regurgitated what Dungy said earlier this week. Great interview there Goose. Superstar reporting and top to bottom knowledge of the game and organization.

Safety? So basically the same need we had staying in the 3-4?

mmmK

I love the switch