1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Goose not liking the switch to a 4-3

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboyChris, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Yuma Cactus

Yuma Cactus Active Member

707 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    "Goose" turned some very good contacts within the NFL (predicting the draft) and become an "expert" on all things sports.......
  2. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,995 Messages
    1,890 Likes Received
    Who cares what this moron thinks?
  3. J-DOG

J-DOG Active Member

2,135 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We don't have a weak-side LB??? Bruce Carter is a perfect fit there.
    Goose never has anything positive to say about the Cowboys.
  4. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,401 Messages
    2,238 Likes Received
    Evidently everyone in this thread, although each will claim they do not.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,462 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    He really is a doofus.
    I called him on that statement that don't even have a weak side linebacker. I mean, Carter is a prototype Will. He emailed me back saying he was not a Will.
    It'd be comical if it wasn't so pathetic.
  6. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received

Did he really say that?

Carter played the WOLB position in college...what the heck was Goose thinking?
  7. SWG9

SWG9 Well-Known Member

1,040 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    IDK, Goose was responsible for drafting DeMarcus Ware. I'd take what he says somewhat seriously.
  8. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,049 Messages
    2,949 Likes Received
    Explain.
  9. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Comment about DL hard to find is true, but..

Ware is light for a 43 DE, but in schemes that allow for it, he can certainly play it. Ditto Spencer.

Rat's a 1 tech in a 43, so the Sapp comparison is immaterial.
    Hatcher is your 3 tech.

Either of our ILBs (Lee, Carter) can play any of the 3 43 LB spots. They're that good and fast. In a classic Miami 43 (Tampa not too far removed from the Miami), you get your WLB by drafting an oversized SS. They're not hard to find. It certainly wouldn't hurt you to try Ernie Sims at WLB either.

What I don't get is this laser like focus on a 4 man front, when in all probability, this first year we're going to play a mix of fronts.
  10. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,049 Messages
    38 Likes Received
    Carter isn't just a prototype Will, he's a prototype 46 adjuster.

The 46 adjuster has to be able to play line technique, LB technique, and run down the field with 3rd wide receivers on the field, as well as TEs.

46 places extreme demands on the stock 4-3 positions of WLB and SS, and he could do it.

~~~

Of course, in the early 2000s, Goose proclaimed the Arizona line with Leonard Davis at LT as the future of the NFL. That the line subsequently never held up to the promise posed by all the high end draft choices poured into it, shouldn't surprise anyone, as it was picked for size as opposed to athleticism. But that's a classic Goose proclamation when it comes to football.

Goose is a good sports reporter, well respected by his peers. He's not very good at analyzing football.

D-
  11. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,523 Messages
    601 Likes Received
    Why did this nimrod go away from the draft? He went from being a good source of information to just another jackwad that spews baseless opinionated drivel.
  12. Hostile

119,049 Messages
    2,949 Likes Received
    Because newspapers are dinosaurs and subscriptions are endangered. The only way to make up revenue lost is traffic clicks. The way to get those is to be paparazzi sensationalistic in what you report.
  13. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    The 4-3 isn't so much about the "right size" player, it's about playmakers. It's about unburdening guys and letting them go to the ball.

Welcome back!
  14. CowboyChris

CowboyChris Well-Known Member

2,771 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    if anyone listened to that interview, Goose was for the most part quoting what Dungy had said about our personnel, those werent all his opinions.

The part about Ware was pretty much his opinion, comparing it to Derrick Thomas when he used to cover KC, that when KC made the switch Thomas' numbers fell off dramatically, DE would be to physical for Ware.
  15. Hostile

119,049 Messages
    2,949 Likes Received
    Ware bench presses over 400 pounds. He's hardly a daisy.
  16. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    No matter what scheme the team chose to employ this year, they needed to get better along the defensive front. Staying 3-4 would have meant upgrades/reinforcements at NT/DE/OLB. 4-3 means DT and DE.

The linebackers, in my opinion, really aren't a concern. 4-3 OLBs are fairly easy to find IMO. What I would do though is have Carter work at both WOLB and in the middle. I don't think Dallas has a good option for the Tampa 2 MLB position other than Lee and Carter. And with their injury history, it is a concern. I'd feel more comfortable moving Carter over in case of a Lee injury and backfilling WOLB than to try to fill in someone at MLB.

This is, of course, a moot point provided McSurdy fully recovers from his injury. :)
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    His argument about Carter was that with his size, he'd be best on the strong side handling the tight end.

I'm with those who wouldn't be shocked if Carter plays in the middle and Lee on the weakside, as when Quarles was the mike and Brooks the will in later years at Tampa. You'd still probably expect Lee in the middle, but the other way could happen.
  18. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    855 Likes Received
    I think this is what SWG9 is referring to. It was brought up by Bluestang in another thread some time ago. I never heard the interview so I can't speak to it's content, just providing the link that I think is being referred to in this thread.

19. cboyd

cboyd Member

392 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    We are a couple of drafts from getting the players to run the 4-3, we need a defensive end(if Spencer leaves), we need a defensive tackle to compliment Spencer, we need a SLB, and we need a playmaking centerfield type safety. At the same time we also have a lot of pieces to run the 4-3. I think this year will be a little bit of a transition, but too say its a total transition is just BS, we will be fine
  20. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,289 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    :rolleyes:

I forgot about this. They got lucky with Ware, but it illustrates how screwed up the Dallas front office is that they are being influenced by a write up from a newspaper guy.

If true, it is a sad indictment of the state of the Dallas front office. By far, the most beneficial thing to this team would be a qualified GM, with a long term vision, leading the personnel acquistion efforts.