1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

GOP Activist Rusty DePass likens escaped gorilla to Michelle Obama

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by TheCount, Jun 15, 2009.

1. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,008 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    A prominent South Carolina Republican killed his Facebook page Sunday after being caught likening the First Lady to an escaped gorilla.

Commenting on a report posted to Facebook about a gorilla escape at a zoo in Columbia, S.C., Friday, longtime GOP activist Rusty DePass wrote, "I'm sure it's just one of Michelle's ancestors - probably harmless."

Busted by South Carolina political blogger Will Folks on his FITNEWS blog, DePass told WIS-TV in Columbia, "I am as sorry as I can be if I offended anyone. The comment was clearly in jest."

Then he added, "The comment was hers, not mine," claiming Michelle Obama made a recent remark about humans descending from apes. The Daily News could find no such comment.

"'Humor' like this is nothing new for South Carolina Republicans - even as the party claims to be focusing on 'outreach' efforts to minorities," said Folks, a former gubernatorial spokesman and widely read blogger. "The fact that Palmetto [State] Republicans don't get that this is a serious problem for them baffles us."

Columbia's mayor called on DePass to apologize properly. "The comment is reprehensible. There's nothing funny about it," said Democratic Mayor Bob Coble. "What he needs to do is simply apologize in a straightforward manner."

DePass, former chairman of the Richland County GOP, was an early backer of George W. Bush and co-chairman of Rudy Giuliani's 2008 campaign in Richland County, the state's largest.

"Most of us, of course, particularly in South Carolina, never gave a damn about New Yorkers, but somehow the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, made those people Americans again," he wrote in a 2007 Op-Ed endorsing Giuliani.

Eric Davis, the current chairman of the Richland County Republicans, said his predecessor should get a pass. "Everyone says stupid things they regret later. I think the world should move on," he said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...st_lady.html?print=1&page=all#ixzz0IVkPFiTm&D

---------

Whoopsies.

Obviously he was trying to poke fun at her statements regarding evolution, but as a long time politician, you'd think he'd be a little bit more aware of the OTHER connotation to that statement.

The, "I'm as sorry as I can be", was a very Letterman-eque apology as well.
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    I saw this earlier and thought--because it was from South Carolina--it must be racial. I should be ashamed at jumping to Pavlov-like conclusions like this writer is doing. The comment was FOR SURE relating to Ms Obama's recent comments about human ancestory. So, the joke is weak, but not what they are making it out to be.
  3. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,008 Messages
    1,007 Likes Received
    Yeah, seemed pretty clear to me as well but that fact that he was ignorant that it could be taken as racial is kind of an indictment in and of itself.

The poll they have on the page is stupid too, basically it says you either agree with what he said or you think he's a member of the KKK.
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Subtlety ain't his strength. What a putz.
  5. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,874 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Just curious: can you post a link or reference to "Ms. Obama's recent comments about human ancestry", given that the Daily News was unable to find such comments, and none of the other outlets that have reported on this have either?
  6. DFWJC

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    No doubt. That was my first thought too...what a dunce.

The irony is the guy could just as easily (more easily?) been a Democrat from West Viriginia and said the same thing. Yet they made sure to say typical Republican from SC.
  7. DFWJC

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    Tell me about it.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,022 Likes Received
    Rusty DePass is evidently an ignorant man, nothing more to say than that
  9. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    that was pretty ignorant

but so is the belief that we're descended from apes
  10. Doomsday101

77,281 Messages
    3,022 Likes Received
    I admit I wounder about some. :laugh2:
  11. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    don't diss BrainPaint like that:mad: :)
  12. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    As the missing link, how can you say that?
  13. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,999 Messages
    2,226 Likes Received
    Are you kidding?

Bob may be the wisest poster...on any message board.
  14. Jarv

Jarv Loud pipes saves lives. Zone Supporter

7,073 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    I guess Letterman isn't the only putz out there...Idiot.
  15. Doomsday101

77,281 Messages
    3,022 Likes Received
    World is full of them.
  16. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What a dolt. All parties have them.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,679 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Will be interesting to see the play this gets vs the whole Letterman vs 18 yrd old girl bit.
  18. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As Howard Kurtz noted yesterday, most of the major newspapers have avoided the Palin-Letterman controversy. Strange, considering those are two big names.
  19. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,074 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    watch it mister

QFT
  20. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,183 Messages
    5,736 Likes Received
    Fixed.. :cool: