1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

GOP group launches listening tour to rebrand image

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 3, 2009.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,036 Messages
    3,973 Likes Received
    Jackie Quinn, Associated Press Writer – Sun May 3, 4:35 pm ET

WASHINGTON – With its party struggling to define itself, a group of prominent Republicans launched a listening tour Saturday in a bid to boost the GOP's sagging image and regroup for future elections.

Former presidential candidate Mitt Romney, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and House Minority Whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., held a town-hall style meeting at a pizza restaurant in the Democratic suburb of Arlington, Va., to hear about people's concerns on issues from the economy and health care to the rising costs of college tuition.

"You can't beat something with nothing, and the other side has something," Bush told a group of about 100 people at the Pie-Tanza pizza parlor. "I don't like it, but they have it and we have to be respectful and mindful of that.

"I hope across the country people will be excited about the prospect of sharing their ideas to bring about a better America," he said.

It was the first meeting of the GOP group National Council for a New America, which was created to rebrand the party's image. The meeting comes after a bad week in which Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter announced he was switching to the Democratic party and Democrat Scott Murphy won a close U.S. House race in a GOP district in upstate New York.

An Associated Press-GfK poll released in April shows that Democrats outnumber Republicans by 46 percent to 28 percent, including those leaning toward either party.

The national council, which plans listening sessions in other cities, also includes Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour and Sen. John McCain. Republican aides on Capitol Hill disclosed the group this past Wednesday just before Obama started a news conference to mark his first 100 days in office. The group is partly highlighting their differences with the Republican National Committee's political strategy.

That group and a similar one — Resurgent Republic, a collection of the party's senior strategists — are meant to be Republican roadshows outside Washington's circus tent.

Still, notably absent from either group's rosters are the 2008 GOP vice presidential nominee, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, and former Speaker Newt Gingrich, who has his own policy group. Others mentioned as potential 2012 candidates and missing are South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford and Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, although the latter is a close McCain ally.

Cantor said he wanted to focus the meeting on "bread and butter" issues such as the rising costs of education and health care, which resonate the most with Americans right now.

"These are discussions that need to occur with the American people of any political stripe," he said. "We need to make sure, the discussions, I believe, should be focused on the principles that have made America great — the principles of freedom and opportunity."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090503/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_gop_rebranding
  2. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,584 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Perhaps it is the case of nothing wrong with the GOP product or image. Sometimes, the customer(in this case, the voter) is an idiot.

e.g. Abortion: GOP product and image is pro-life. Customer demand is pro-abortion. Why should the GOP change its product to chase after a bunch of immoral, sick deviants who think nothing of killing an innocent baby?

Right now, the Democrat product is selling. Beware of the side effects.
  3. DIAF

DIAF DivaLover159

4,009 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Because abortion is the only issue the Republicans can adjust and pick up votes on? That example sucks.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,409 Messages
    1,881 Likes Received
    I think what we will see is a 3rd party come out of republican party as there are 2 strong groups that make up the party with the evangelical and social conservatives and a very moderate group. I think this will hurt the party for a while but could be for the best in the end.
  5. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,749 Messages
    1,946 Likes Received
    I don't listen to Sean Hannity with any regularity, but I happened to catch his Fox program last week. He suggested the Republican Party fashion itself as the "party of national security."

As a person who generally votes Republican, I cringe whenever republicans tout safety as a selling point because I detest the idea of surrendering our freedoms and liberties in exchange for some amorphous, vague notion of security. Benjamin Franklin once stated that a person who would trade his liberty for security will have neither and deserves neither.

I agree, and I'll fight both the Right and the Left on this issue. The government should not be allowed to tap my phone conservations nor should it be allowed to usurp my Second Amendment rights.

In my opinion, Republicans have been using the threat of terrorism in the same mindless fashion that Democrats use class warfare.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,236 Messages
    1,972 Likes Received
    Nicely done, sir

:hammer: