1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

GOP senator: A 'stretch' to say Palin is qualified

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 18, 2008.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    41 minutes ago

WASHINGTON - Nebraska Republican Sen. Chuck Hagel said his party's vice presidential nominee, Sarah Palin, lacks foreign policy experience and called it a "stretch" to say she's qualified to be president.

ADVERTISEMENT

"She doesn't have any foreign policy credentials," Hagel said in an interview published Thursday by the Omaha World-Herald. "You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, I don't know what you can say. You can't say anything."

Could Palin lead the country if GOP presidential nominee John McCain could not?

"I think it's a stretch to, in any way, to say that she's got the experience to be president of the United States," Hagel said.

McCain and other Republicans have defended Palin's qualifications, citing Alaska's proximity to Russia. Palin told ABC News, "They're our next-door neighbors and you can actually see Russia from land here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska."

Hagel took issue with that argument. "I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, 'I look out my window and I see Russia and so therefore I know something about Russia,'" he said. "That kind of thing is insulting to the American people."

Hagel, a senior member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, has been a vocal critic of the Bush administration since the 2003 invasion of Iraq.

In July, Hagel traveled to Iraq and Afghanistan with Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama. Though he didn't expect to be asked, Hagel had said he would have considered serving as Obama's running mate.

Palin was mayor of Wasilla, Alaska, population 6,500, before becoming Alaska's governor in December 2006.

Palin visited soldiers in Kuwait and Germany last year and said in an interview with ABC News that her only other foreign travel had been to Mexico and Canada. She also said she had never met a foreign head of state.

Hagel told the newspaper that other governors have been elected to serve in the White House without experience in Washington. He said judgment and character were also important for the job.

"But I do think in a world that is so complicated, so interconnected and so combustible, you really got to have some people in charge that have some sense of the bigger scope of the world," Hagel said. "I think that's just a requirement."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080918/ap_on_el_pr/hagel_palin
  2. Angus

Angus Active Member

5,064 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What do you know? Obama's traveling companion and erstwhile running mate doubts Sarah Palin is qualified to be POTUS, but he is expecting to take a cabinet post if Obama, who is less qualified to be POTUS than Palin, is elected.

I'll tell you what. I don't think either one of them has the preferred experience for the job as yet, but I would rather immediately trust a former mayor and governor who was successful making difficult decisions in those posts to be POTUS than a good speechifier who has never made an executive decision and whose wife, according to the analyst on Fox news last night, wears the pants in that family.

:eek:
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I would imagine you probably would just rather have whoever had a R by his name over a D.

But I could be wrong.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    If Hagel think Palin lacks the experiance he should look at Obama lack of experiance. Palin may be a heart beat away Obama is the heart beat of his ticket
  5. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    Would it be fair to say some view Hagel like some view Lieberman?
  6. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,583 Messages
    527 Likes Received

Fixed.
  7. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Foreign policy credentials? Why would a President need those?

Palin has plenty of PTA experience. Surely that's enough.
  8. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    All is fair in love and war as well as politics. :laugh2:
  9. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    That would be about as much as Obama has.
  10. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    these days a PTA meeting can be like a foreign policy in action. : )

i don't care if you hit palin for these things, but i can wonder about your overall state of mind if you put obama in the "ok" and palin in the "not ok" when it comes to experience.

then as WG pointed out above - it only really matters if there's a D or R by your name.
  11. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    My state of mind is great, thanks.

You know, people act like there is something wrong with voting D or R. Or against a D or R.

I disagree.

The R's have had the presidency for the past 8 years. Opinions differ on how effective they've been. In my opinion, George II has been a horrible president. In my opinion, he's just wasn't bright enough for the job and he surrounded himself with too many bad people. This administration has been a mess, in my opinion, and has hurt this country in some fundamental ways.

In my view, it isn't unreasonable to hold the R's accountable. Just because I don't want to reinforce the R's poor performance by re-electing the same old crew (with a different head), doesn't somehow make me a blind partisan.

Given that I strongly disagree with the past 8 years, I'd have to be a chump to vote for another R as President at this point.

I am comfortable enough with Obama to vote for him. But if I wasn't, I still certainly wouldn't vote for an R. I don't think they deserve another term right now.
  12. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pretty typical stuff from Hagel, no surprise.

I would think they wouldnt want to go down this road though considering the utter lack of experience Obama has for the #1 job.
  13. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    PTA > community organizer
  14. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Definitely would be fair. In fact Hagel is even more anti-republican than Lieverman was anti-democrat
  15. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

15,260 Messages
    2,456 Likes Received
    Allow me to summarize the article in the most succint manner possible:

An Obama supporter, who was also a potential Obama running mate, questions Palin's qualifications.

Is this really news?;)
  16. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,188 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    It may be true that the Rebublicans have had the Presidency for 8 years but it is equally true that the Democratic Party has been the majority rule in the house for a good 6 years and have had complete control over both House and Senate the past few years. The President has not been pushing a great deal of domestic policy for some time now. Foreign policy, I can probably say that the President has had substantial control over much of that but not what's going on in the US. Not for awhile now.

Lets call it like it is.

If your going to say that Paline doesn't have the experience to lead foreign policy for this country, then you have to also admit that neither does Obama. PTA may be the call to arms for the Democratic Party but if that's true, then it is equally true (fair) that Community Organizer is the claim to fame that the Democratic Party can stand on. Not a very savy calling card if your looking towards Foreign Policy experience.
  17. iceberg

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    see, a stance like this is perfect in my eyes. if XYZ is wrong then it's wrong, not wrong for someone NOT you or your side. no palin doesn't have a world of experience behind her but she's not running for president.

the dem side has led you to believe that mccain is either the same as bush (despite long standing records to show differently, let's only look recently when he tried to toe the party line more) or will die soon after taking office.

push things out to max value and screw the truth or how you'd also fit in that same scenario.

my thought is no other job is like the presidents, so until you do it, you don't have the experience for it. however, that's not to say you shouldn't have adequate political experience to help guide you. you should.

obama looks back for his, palin ahead. either way you can't make experience an issue for just ONE party under SPECIFIC conditions and ignore reality. if it's an issue, it's an issue for both.
  18. iceberg

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    great. disagree. but know why moreso than the R or D by the name. at that point you're not voting for a person but a genericized set of thoughts.

i'd rather vote for a person or not vote at all than vote against someone, or out of party alignment.

and if the R's performance is so poor and bad, then it should have been easy to get them out of office either time, right? we came off 8 great years of clinton, right?

so i don't vote for or see people as R's or D's. i'd wager you're more than a general summation of someone elses ideals, right?

so are they. we all are.

yet we run to our teams far too quickly IMHO.
  19. jrumann59

jrumann59 Well-Known Member

4,234 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    You are right Hagel has been in his party's cross hairs awhile. He is republican by affiliation only just like Lieberman was for the dems until now.
  20. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Lieberman does vote democrat on most issues other than the war however.