1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gosselin comments on the firings

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by LatinMind, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,138 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    Agreed most of this is window dressing. Core issues are lack of on-field leadership, lack of OC and deranged GM. Until those things are addressed...Dallas can bring in as many new coaches as they want...it won't result in any real changes. They are fooling nobody.
  2. dupree89

dupree89 Well-Known Member

1,837 Messages
    996 Likes Received

:lmao: :lmao:
  3. funkytown

funkytown Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    The 3-4 got fired?

I like that.
  4. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus New Member

1,737 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This thread will fall, unfortunately.

There are those who want to position the situation as though anyone in the media or NFL with knowledge or connections trusts Jerry and Jason, when this is clearly not universally the case. The backtracking on prior praise of Gosselin as one of the more connected and thoughtful outside voices will be amusing to watch.
  5. Boyz981

Boyz981 Active Member

154 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    Exactly, I think they are going back to the 4-3
  6. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,862 Messages
    383 Likes Received
    Once again, there's something about the culture in Dallas that stifles players and coaches, who go on to do better or become useful in other places. :(
  7. JPM

JPM Well-Known Member

5,655 Messages
    149 Likes Received
    So was Payton when he was here with Parcells.
  8. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I think most with a brain know what Gosselin is...a terrible source for opinion who used to put together a pretty decent final draft ranking. I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to him as thoughtful.
  9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,822 Messages
    540 Likes Received
    What he said makes sense...too much sense for Jerry. It's about accountability and Garrett continually gets a free pass.
  10. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus New Member

1,737 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. He compares very, very favorably to all but a couple Dallas media members.
  11. ilovejerry

ilovejerry Active Member

3,319 Messages
    17 Likes Received
    Thank you thank you.:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:
  12. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,470 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    That's untrue. We were 2nd in points allowed in 2009. IIRC, we led the league in sacks in 2008.

Mike Zimmer was never the answer. His defenses continually fizzled out each year. We had ONE good year under Zimmer, that was 2003. That was followed by one of the worst defenses in Cowboys history, 2004. These were both 4-3 years.

We resurrected a bit in 2005 using the 3-4. And then we were so exposed in 2006 because Zimmer couldn't figure out how to get a linebacker to cover somebody coming out of the backfield. He went to Atlanta the following year and STUNK.

He's done a solid job in Cincinnati, but he does have Marvin Lewis as the head coach. Either way, he wasn't good here and that's what matters.

YR
  13. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,461 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Nothing he said was incorrect.

If the Cowboys were committed to running the ball, they wouldn't have tried it behind 4 guys who would look more at home in a semi-pro uniform.
  14. Yakuza Rich

11,470 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    Here's Football Outsiders' Defensive Efficiency Rankings of the years. I've put the D-Coordinator and scheme in parantheses:

2000: Zimmer 4-3 (22nd)
    2001: Zimmer 4-3 (20th)
    2002: Zimmer 4-3 (13th)
    2003: Zimmer 4-3 (5th)
    2004: Zimmer 4-3 (25th)
    2005: Zimmer 3-4 (12th)
    2006: Zimmer 3-4 (14th)
    2007: Phillips 3-4 (9th)
    2008: Phillips 3-4 (9th)
    2009: Phillips 3-4 (10th)
    2010: Phillips 3-4 (27th)
    2011: Ryan 3-4 (16th)
    2012: Ryan 3-4 (23rd)

We had one really good year in the Zimmer 4-3. That was followed by an awful year the very next season. Then the defense was resurrected as it went to the 3-4. Then it was good under Wade for 3 years before it collapsed in 2010.

I'm not anti 4-3, but the idea we have never played well in the 3-4 is ludicrous.

YR
  15. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,461 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    I'm not a Zimmer fan, but he had very little talent on those teams pre-2005. His front 7 was mostly a Who's Not Who of the NFL. Then in 2005 he was switched to a defensive scheme that was not his own. Hard to indict him with the circumstances he was working under.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

8,428 Messages
    1,802 Likes Received
    Gosselin is also a Cowboy hater.

He is on the Hall of Fame voting panel. It is the local guys on that panel that are required to convince other voters to vote for their teams guys.

If you want to blame someone for Drew Peason and Harvey Martin not being in the Hall, start with Gosselin.
  17. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,027 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    The local paper where I grew up (Virginian Pilot) openly rooted for the Redskins. I subscribed to the DMN back in the late 1980s because I expected to get the same thing from the Cowboy perspective. What a shock it was to see how the Dallas media treats the Cowboys. Still the same today.
  18. Yakuza Rich

11,470 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    He had plenty of opportunity to develop talent in the 4-3 and didn't. Maybe that was part of the problem, getting talent in the 4-3. Remember all of those years we spent our first round picks on defense?

He's a very good coach at developing DB's, particularly corner. And usually gets a good 3-gap DT.

In his term in the 4-3, he had La'Roi Glover, Greg Ellis, Coakley and Nguyen, Roy Williams, Darren Woodson and Terence Newman. There was talent there.

And again, the 3-4 made the defense BETTER than it was under Zimmer outside of the 2003 season...where the defense still fizzled down the stretch.

Finally, as Bob Sturm mentioned...we were playing 4-3 down the stretch anyway and it didn't get us anywhere.

I wouldn't hate a move to the 4-3, but the idea that it was the godsend to this organization while the 3-4 never worked is untrue.

YR
  19. Merlin

Merlin Member

361 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The common denominator is Dallas. Payton and Zimmer performed better when they left Dallas and its egomaniac owner who handcuffs his coaches.
  20. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,640 Messages
    281 Likes Received
    Not quite. Bill Parcells was who hancuffed Zimmer. Zimmer badmouthed him pretty good when he left. Example: forcing Zimmer to call base 3-4 defenses against 5 receiver sets.