1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gosselin: Cornerback would be Cowboys' logical choice in first round of draft

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by RS12, Jan 9, 2012.

1. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,800 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    Rick Gosselin, sports columnist for The Dallas Morning News and SportsDayDFW.com and member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selection committee, answered your questions about the Cowboys and the NFL playoffs in a live chat Monday. Some excerpts:

Which position will the Cowboys address in the first round of the NFL draft?

The first three rounds are the premium rounds. A non-playoff team should be looking for three starting caliber players in those rounds. If I were the Cowboys, I'd be looking for two cornerbacks and a guard with my first three picks. Cornerback has greater value in the first round, so that would be my preference. I think you can find offensive linemen who can start in every round of every draft. But there's a higher price to pay for the elite corners. The Cowboys desperately need to find some players who can cover.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...ys-logical-choice-in-first-round-of-draft.ece
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,800 Messages
    876 Likes Received
    :laugh2: In a nutshell.
  3. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    He lost me when I read this:

:facepalm:
  4. marchetta

marchetta Well-Known Member

2,983 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    If you're going to be successful in the post-season, you must first win your division. Our main competitors Giants/Eagles primarily beat you with their DL and not necessarily their WRs. If we can keep Tony clean and upright against these teams formidable pass rush, I like our chances of winning. We need to sign a FA OG, and use our #1 on another OG. If we can also grab Konz (C Wisconsin) in the 2nd rd, I'd be ecstatic. Teams like NE, GB, and NO have proven that, in today's NFL, defense does NOT win championships. Offense does... especially if you're Oline can protect your QB.
  5. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,291 Messages
    433 Likes Received
    They all had good defenses when they won their SB's.
  6. supercowboy8

supercowboy8 Well-Known Member

5,192 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    so does this mean he thinks Dallas will bring Spencer back, because if Spencer walks OLB becomes a top need with CB. CB and OLB both will be needed with the first two picks.
  7. mmillman

mmillman Active Member

2,141 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    It is about protecting your qb and pressuring theirs. After that CB is the most important position. So I would agree if they can solidify the offensive line in free agency then go ahead and draft a cb.
  8. rooler

rooler Benched

62 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    agree