1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Gosselin: Don't be surprised if former Cowboys coach Tony Sparano returns

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,940 Messages
    5,598 Likes Received
    What are the chances that Tony Sparano will join this staff?

Old Cowboys coaches have a way of drifting back here. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tony Sparano come back. Todd Haley, Mike Zimmer and maybe even Norv Turner or a Dave Wannstedt might be names to keep an eye on as well.

Why is our defensive so horrible? Is it talent or the DC?

I think the Cowboys need to add two ends, two linebackers, two corners and a safety in the next year. With that checklist, I'd say it's more a lack of talent than a lack of coaching.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...former-cowboys-coach-tony-sparano-returns.ece
  2. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,481 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    I say we bring em all in and build on all-star coaching staff.........cuz u know Garrett would love 2 share the glory with all them
  3. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,497 Messages
    272 Likes Received
    I thought there were reports that Garrett and Sparano did not get along particularly well? Now I could surely see Haley, Turner, Zimmer, or Wannstedt returning. Maybe even several of them.
  4. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,156 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    So basically he is saying we need a complete new defense. No way you can add that many pieces in one year, unless of course it's Madden.
  5. TheDallasDon

TheDallasDon AegonTheConqueror-Now bend the knee

2,481 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Yea that's not gonna happen, but we need to get C.Campbell and maybe A.Brooks in FA. Then draft mostly defensive players come April.
  6. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,720 Messages
    330 Likes Received
    They need another pass rusher, beast in the middle to keep blockers off Lee etc, move Rat to end and add a cb and backup lb (veteran) on the cheap. They don't need two of each....that's ridiculous.
  7. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,590 Messages
    574 Likes Received
    April draft is definately going to be mainly defense. I have no doubt about this.

Probably all defense with the exception of an interior O-lineman.

I think the Cowboys will resign Robinson and might look to add a interior O-Lineman from FA and then go pretty much all defense in the draft.

I don't know why but that's just how I see it playing out right now.
  8. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,196 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    How much money is JJ willing to throw at this defense? I think he sees that Romo and offense are on the right track if healthy. He might make a big push if we don't make the playoffs or lose in the first round. Hopefully he will learn that he cannot rest on this team as far as upgrading talent in the off season.
  9. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,336 Messages
    723 Likes Received
    Why would anyone want Haley? The guy is a pain to work with and has proven that over time.

Would Zimmer want to make a lateral move? I guess they could bump his title to assistant head coach, but it really doesn't mean that much. I like Zimmer. Always have, but most around here hated the guy.

Wannstedt as DC? I don't think that would happen.
  10. dboy214

dboy214 Benched

3,122 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    you guys are underestimating the lack of talent on defense.

i trust goose more than almost anyone in the media when it comes to talent evaluation.
  11. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Why don't we move this club to Philthy and bring the Birds here...we could even give them the Dallas uniforms if they give the departing Cowboys the old Philly Jerseys.

Just think of it...if we did that...

Goose would finally like the Dallas Cowboys.

Love how he just casually says we should replace the entire defense.

Guy is a phony. I have technical writers under me w/ more ability and story than this chump.

Never did like Gooselin....Never has been a good solid reporter covering this team.

So so w/ the draft...thas about it. Maybe retire and write a draft report 1x a year.
  12. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received

Norv ? Yes.. Sparano ? Yes.. Onestash ? I'd love to, but I'd worried about having too many ex-HC's on a staff with Jason at this particular period of time. There needs to be one voice on the staff and everybody else, while having opinions that needs and deserves to be listened to, must follow that voice. Now, once a person has been in charge, especially for a long period of time, that person's attitude changes, even if just a little. The transition from being in charge to underling is never easy and at times quite difficult for a lot of people, more so when the person who outranks you used to work for you.

In a perfect world, all this not so great headcoaches but wonderful coordinators/position coaches would fall in line behind Jason and don't let their egos get in the way, but.. it is not a perfect world. I'd be thrilled if that happens, but most of all, if it's going to happen, Jason MUST BE very comfortable with every single one of those hirings, even the ones that I " lust " after ( Norv and Sparano ).. If there are doubts or hesitation on Jason's behalf, then the Cowboys can't take that step(s).
  13. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Not to mention that the current WR coach, Robinson, is 10 times the coach he is.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,192 Messages
    1,317 Likes Received

you do realize that goose only regurgitates what he hears; he is unable to analyze anything himself. He has proven that over the years; his top 100 comes from GMs and coaches; but how they actually perform is something else.

Frankly goose could not analyze a open book.
  15. JIMMYBUFFETT

JIMMYBUFFETT Skinwalker

1,163 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Agree! Goose has sucked for years now, and his draft stuff isn't nearly what people make it out to be. He does a nice mock, and that's it! He's always been a flavor of the week guy. "I wouldn't be surprised to see" Sparano, Haley, Zimmer, Turner, or Wannstedt come in here. Way to go out on a limb there Goose...that's some hard hitting reporting. I'll wait for your mock before checking back in with ya.
  16. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

338 Messages
    65 Likes Received
    Just asking, but didn't Joe Gibbs have a few former head coaches on the 1991 staff that won the superbowl? I think it can work, but only for successful coaches. I wouldn't want Campo, I swear I don't hate the man, don't know him to hate him, but he never seems to do well as a head coach, coordinator or even position coach for more than one season at a time.
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,419 Messages
    825 Likes Received
    You can definitely see Dez's game develop and Robinson's fusion into our offense has been nothing short of spectacular. You cannot cure stupid so he get on Otree as far as i am concerned.

Coach Robinson has done well with the shortened time hes had here. That being said, Garrett's 'right kind of guys' mantra probably means coaches too and I have a feeling we may see more of his guys.

I don't mind Rob Ryan but I would love to see Nolan come in over the offseason.
  18. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,519 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    My feeling as well.