1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Gosselin: Jerry's 'fear of unknown' could lead 'Boys to keep Romo too long

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,815 Messages
    7,194 Likes Received
    Comment From Harold

Do you really think Jerry and Stephen are serious about extending Romo?

Rick Gosselin: The Cowboys have always had a fear of the unknown. I believe that's why they extended Sensabaugh and Scandrick -- they knew what they had with those two players. Not having them would mean finding replacements and the Cowboys labor with their personnel decisions. They know what they have with Romo. Without Romo, they would have to find another quarterback. After years of churning through Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson , Ryan Leaf , Clint Stoerner and Drew Henson, the Cowboys aren't in a hurry to venture into the abyss of the unknown. I think Romo has 2-3 elite seasons left. Look for the Cowboys to hold onto him as long as they possibly can before starting the search for their next quarterback. So extending his contract would not surprise me one bit. That's how the Cowboys have always done business. They tend to hold onto their players a year or two too long.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...own-could-lead-boys-to-keep-romo-too-long.ece
  2. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,342 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Its the single most important reason Dallas usually trails the better teams is they simple hold on too long. Jerry is fragile...as he gets older he has some real difficulty with change. Jerry has become a behind the curve owner. He reacts now instead of initiating. Its sad reminder of affects of aging process.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,815 Messages
    7,194 Likes Received
    Aging process? This isn't an Al Davis getting senile here, he sucked 17 years ago.

He holds on to players too long because he can't evaluate talent. When you can't evaluate talent, you can't determine when a player is losing that talent. The man has no clue what he's doing. He just wings it every year playing fantasy football with a once great and storied franchise.
  4. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,342 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    You make a good point.
  5. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,288 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    This is why I don't think they've been very active in free agency and why it takes forever for some guys to see the field.

Who knows when Miles Austin might have ever played if Roy Williams didn't get hurts?

How long did Doug Free sit on the bench before they decided to give him a shot (wasn't that due to injury as well)?

Then once they do have a starter established, it seems like they are loathe to create any competition there. That's why the team is just continually filling holes.
  6. LeonDixson

LeonDixson Illegitimi non carborundum

9,600 Messages
    40 Likes Received
    I think Gosselin's premise is wrong. I agree we hold on to some players too long but I don't believe the reason is fear of the unknown. Jerry made his billions betting on the unknown.

I read where he got rich when he bought out oil leases for 20 (IIRC) oil wells that had either reached their target depth and had not struck oil and some which were just plain given up on for other reasons. He bought them not knowing there was oil present. The vast majority of them ended up producing oil.

He wasn't afraid of the unknown then and I don't think that's what is at play now. I think he's just too loyal to players in certain cases and the team misses on talent evaluation and how much a player has left at other times.

It certainly wasn't fear of the unkown that led them to cut Gurode, Davis and Colombo last year and go with a bunch of newbies. Lord knows we could have used Gurode last season.
  7. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,351 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    but he gets input from 25 people

he is just the "tie-breaker" :rolleyes:
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    Funny Romo play is getting better not worse. He is coming off his best season as a pro with a QB rating of 102 with 31 TD vs only 10 ints

I don't see anyone questioning the Saints holding on to an older Drew Bress who is 2 years older than Romo.

Leave it to the Dallas Media to make a issue of this.
  9. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,303 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I agree, Jerry isn't necessarily 'afraid of the unknown' as he is aware of his crappy personnel track record and the very distinct possibility that the player he plugs in will suck worse than the one he's replacing.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,306 Likes Received
    Romo is a really bad example for this...He's a top 5 qb in the league. You get every ounce out of him that you can.
  11. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    One reason we end up holding on to players to long is because we never have their replacements waiting in the wings. Granted you can't always do that but it would be a good move in over the next couple of years for Dallas to invest in a QB who can sit and learn then take over from Romo. Much like the Packers did with Brett, they had Hasselback behind him once they saw Brett was still playing at a high level they traded Hassleback but turned around and got Rodgers who sat for 3 years before taking over for Favre
  12. visionary

7,351 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    So youre saying jerry is actually "afraid of the known" :)

i wish you were right

what you are saying requires someone with 'insight', someone who has a handle on their shorcomings, someone who can evaluate their strengths and limitations objectively

unforunately jerry has none of those
  13. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    Yep. Free got in because Columbo went out with an injury. If he doesn't who knows if Free would have ever played.

Interesting cause that describes about 90% of this board as well.
  14. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    Maybe Jerry should trade Romo, Skins are looking for a QB. I wounder how Cowboy fans would like seeing Romo in a redskins uniform 2 times a year? :laugh2:
  15. visionary

7,351 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

you may be right but 90% of this board does not run the cowboys

(even though some of us think we do)
  16. BraveHeartFan

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received

lol. This is also very true.
  17. BraveHeartFan

22,959 Messages
    757 Likes Received
    How much do you think they like losing the Skins? Cause we very likely would. We nearly did 2 times this year when they had zero at QB.
  18. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    I know, I think for some the only way they would relize the importance of Romo and how good he is, is if he was playing from some one else. Of course many of those same people whould then be hacked off at jerry for letting him get away. :laugh2:

We have a damn good QB coming off his best season, it is not like Romo play is in decline he is playing at a very high level. As I mention I don't see this BS in New Orleans with Brees who is older than Romo or in NE with Brady.

Simple fact Romo play is still very good and no reason to think it is going to drop off anytime soon
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,636 Messages
    2,017 Likes Received
    I think Romo is one of our top assets and if he keeps from breaking any more bones, he could be good for another 4 or even 5 years...imo.
    But they should start the process of grooming his replacement sooner rather than much later.

I know, Einstein here.
  20. Doomsday101

75,878 Messages
    2,120 Likes Received
    I agree. I don't think it will be this year but I would like to see a QB brought in with the ideal he will become the eventual starter. If you can do this without throwing a QB to the wolves I think you are better off in the long run. Just my view but GB went about it as you should and back in Landry days this is how it was done which is why we saw good QB taking over as one would retire. From Meredith, Morton, Staubach to White