1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Got nothing to do, so I mock...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by silverbear, Feb 13, 2012.

1. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Trade down to the low-mid 20s, adding a 2nd rounder...

1) Cordy Glenn 6-5, 346 OG Georgia 5.25 sec. 40
    2a) Chase Minnifield 6-0, 186 CB Virginia 4.45 sec. 40
    2b) Vinny Curry 6-3, 265 OLB Marshall 4.75 sec. 40

Comment-- with 3 picks in the top 55 or 60, the Boys match value with need, adding a big OG who reminds me a lot of Leonard Davis coming out of college, a fundamentally sound corner with an NFL pedigree and an active passrusher...

Trade down to the late 3rd round, adding a 6th rounder

3) Ladarius Green 6-6, 240 TE Louisiana-Lafayette 4.65 sec. 40
    4) Phillip Blake 6-2, 316 C Baylor 5.25 sec. 40
    5) Akiem Hicks 6-4, 325 DE/DT Regina 4.95 sec. 40

Comment-- Green is a surprise here, I know, but I think the Boys did well enough in the first two rounds to take a little bit of a flyer here... Green reminds me a lot of Jay Novacek, the Boys will have a need at TE if Bennett leaves, and of course Jason's not getting any younger... I could see Green becoming a productive receiving threat if he had to replace Witten because of injury... Blake and Hicks beef up both sides of the line...

FWIW, if Green got drafted earlier than I'm projecting, I'd go with another surprise pick-- LaMichael James...

I'm going with Adam's early projection of an extra 6th rounder for Steven Bowen... now we've got 3 6th rounders

6a) Matt Daniels 6-0, 216 S Duke 4.5 sec. 40
    6b) Chad Diehl 6-2, 260 FB Clemson 4.7 sec. 40
    6c) Nicolas Jean-Baptiste 6-2, 340 NT Baylor 5.05 sec. 40
    7) Shawn Loiseau 6-1, 240 ILB Merrimack 4.65 sec. 40

Comments-- 3 defensive players, 1 offensive player to wrap up the draft... Diehl is the purest sledgehammer style lead blocking fullback in this draft, and I think the Cowboys' offense was most effective when it had one of them (Fiammetta when healthy)... Daniels is a versatile and active defender who will provide immediate help on special teams, Baptiste is a pure nose tackle with nice quickness for such a stumpy widebody, and Loiseau is an intriguing prospect from a very small school...

This draft addresses need with 2 interior OL (Glenn and Blake), 2 DL (Hicks and Jean-Baptiste), 2 LB (Curry and Loiseau), 2 DB (Minnifield and Daniels), a FB (Diehl) and a TE (Green)... 6 defensive prospects, 4 offensive prospects...
  2. GroundUp

GroundUp Member

218 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    Not a fan of trading back (only since I'm afraid the F.O will screw it up), but if there ever was adrift for it this is it. Like the picks, I'd be excited about this draft class.
  3. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I like it and I really like the pick of Glenn and Green the best...got to see green play twice this year...didn't see Novachek but what I did see I liked... he does screen guys like Jay did though in the blocking game and he won't be much of a force there but that might be okay if he can keep the speed and hands he will do fine as a pro.
  4. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,385 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    Vinny Curry is a good get. I would be pretty stoked with this draft.
  5. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah, I like Curry, think he's gonna be a good pro...
  6. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,862 Messages
    884 Likes Received
    I'm always sketchy on trading down. I don't trust this scouting department to be able to capitalize on it, and frankly I prefer the aggressive way we've been going after guys we want lately instead of being passive. I'd say only trade down to get a higher pick the following year (i.e. If we're trading down in the 1st, it should be for a 1st the following year)

But of course this is all conjecture.

Green isn't so big a surprise, he was in a lot of mocks early on but he hasn't really done much of anything since the season ended, which might mean absolutely nothing but it could also mean he's having trouble adjusting to the raised level of competition.

I like Glenn and Minnifield for sure, interested to see how Minnifield tests at the combine athletically. Curry is another guy I like, but at the Senior Bowl practices, observers had mentioned that he was not doing LB drills while a lot of other potential DE to OLB conversions did do those drills. Could be significant.

In the end, if things play out like this mock I'd be pretty happy.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,754 Messages
    2,513 Likes Received
    Well thought out SB.

I'm still not sure that Curry is going to be any improvement over Spencer, but he'll be a lot less costly.
  8. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,277 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    does glenn fit in with the "new" OL style we seem to be going to?
  9. Joe Rod

Joe Rod When Keeping it Real Goes Wrong

8,385 Messages
    534 Likes Received
    I don't think Curry is an every down player at this point. He had a tendency to wear down late in games at Marshall. Real high motor guy though and he has some ability to get to the QB. If Spencer is not retained, he would be a really good grab to fight with Butler for that other spot.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,184 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    DO NOT TRADE BACK. JJ will screw it up.

Trade up to get quality. 2009 we tried to get quantity and we see how that turned out.

Trade up to top 10. Try and get Coples or Claiborne.

If not stay put and get DeCastro or Upshaw.

Trade up from 2nd round back into 1st and get Konz.
  11. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    I think over the long term , Curry will become a better pass rusher . As we have discussed , Spencer is a good OLB except for the lack of sacks . I think it will take a couple of years for Curry to grow into the position , but he could rotate with Butler to speed things along . I like the Curry option more than Upshaw or Ingram .
    I really like this mock . This is the best mock that I have seen that doesn't include DeCastro .
  12. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,754 Messages
    2,513 Likes Received
    Yeah, I like the option of Curry in the 2nd round also as compared to taking an OLBer in round 1.

I think it was Sdogo who remarked that he wasn't sure that Curry would be as explosive from the stand-up position.

Another one of those cases where the numbers from the combine will prove interesting.
  13. Manwiththeplan

Manwiththeplan Well-Known Member

4,952 Messages
    227 Likes Received
    if you don't trust him to trade back, you really shouldn't trust him to trade up. the players up top aren't neccesarily safer. if you have so little faith in the front office, you may need to stop rooting for the cowboys till Jerry gives up control (from his cold dead hands).
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    There are three or four of these guys that have questions . If not Curry , maybe one of these other guys will show the ability to stand up and rush . I am looking forward to the combine for this very reason .
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,865 Messages
    7,262 Likes Received
    I gotta admit, that's good work, silverbear.

Of course we can question whether some of those guys would be there at those spots, but you can do that with any mock. The bottom line is I would sign up for that class right now and be pretty excited about it's potential for this team.
  16. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Me too, especially in the agility drills; he's a bit high-waisted and tight-hipped.
  17. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

5,834 Messages
    434 Likes Received
    bI love that mock...would be great to be able to trade back and get Glenn/Curry.
  18. CowboyHawg2012

CowboyHawg2012 New Member

65 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You are crazy, sorry. I do not want Glenn. like someone said before, we are going with a new philosophy on the Oline, which I believe was needed, to more athleticism, less mass. The massive Olines we deployed couple of years ago set us back bigtime. and id rather have casey heyward than minnifield. dude is a ballhawk and thats an understatement
  19. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,403 Messages
    53 Likes Received
    Are foot speed and weight independent of each other? As in Glenn could be 120 lbs heavier than me, and still have much greater agility.
  20. dwmyers

dwmyers Well-Known Member

2,047 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Love the draft; a classic Silverbear draft, full of big'uns and a 260 pound fullback!

What could be better? Peaches and pecan pie, perhaps?