1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gotham trailer

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, May 6, 2014.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,880 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I like Garfield's interpretation of Parker. I thought the script was weak. They did a poor job with the Electro character.
  2. joseephuss

21,880 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    No one really cares about these secondary or less characters from either company. I was thinking of the big name guys. DC and Marvel both have a handful of top name characters that are all about equal in universal popularity.

DC ripped off their own Plastic Man(1941) character with Elongated Man(1960), so they didn't care too much if it was a good name or good character. Neither did Marvel when they came up with Mr. Fantastic(1961).
  3. Aikmaniac

Aikmaniac Well-Known Member

4,185 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    I wonder if this will go the way of Smallville. Was that a unique situation? I never watched the show because I wanted to see the blue and red. That's how I feel about this one....waiting season after season to eventually see Batman. We'll see.
  4. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,543 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    Watched Smallville from day one till the end of it's run. Special effects made the show. Don't know what Gotham will use to make it stand out from other shows with guns and violence in big city tv dramas. The trailer was boring to me.
  5. Derekmtl85

Derekmtl85 Well-Known Member

1,233 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    Ironman and Thor were some of Marvels worst selling comics....until the movies.
  6. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    won't deny that.

but i still have autographed beta ray bill issues.
  7. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    I think the feel of the pre-Batman Begins movies can be contributed to the Christopher Nolan effect. The prior movies followed Tim Burton's interpretation of the character and were entirely cartoony. Nolan brought a serious tone which matched a serious character. I believe that's why most people loved his films over the ones which came before.

I also think Nolan would have had a similar effect on Man of Steel for audiences. Overall, moviegoers didn't love Zach Snyder's creation, but most people liked it. Perhaps the C grade given by paid movie critics will inspire Snyder to work harder on making the sequel more appealing for moviegoers who found his original to be a bad movie.

(Note: Before someone says my opinion of overall audience reaction to Man of Steel isn't correct, please check general nonpaid movie critic ratings on Rotten Tomatoes.com, Metacritic.com or even iMDB.com :). )

I hope Marvel doesn't give up on Hulk, Daredevil or even Electra. In my opinion, the Ed Norton Hulk could've been better minus the love story subplot. There was only moderate serious effort put into crafting Daredevil. Even Ben Affleck seemed disinterested at times. Whoever conceived Electra should be gutted. There was practically zero serious effort to make a functional movie (e.g. script, special effects, etc.). At least Jennifer Garner made an honest effort to make the character believable.

The script and casting of Green Lantern sucked. All of the real actors, minus Michael Clarke Duncan, Angela Bassett, and the guy who played Sinestro, could have been replaced and still got the same movie or a slightly better one. Ryan Reynolds is perfect casting for Deadpool. For Lantern the old saying of, "Look like Tarzan and act like Jane" totally applies. He cannot do serious roles.

I pretty much agree with everything else. I think Justice League is being rushed to the big screen. Marvel Studies has a proven formula: a) highlight each main character in their own films or embed them in other main character films, b) get a director who can mesh the different personalities together into one movie, c) BE SERIOUS/no cartoony interpretation and d) have a great script. It worked for The Avengers. DC does even want to re-establish Wonder Woman first for today's audiences. I just have a bad feeling for the movie's chances.
    Last edited: May 8, 2014
    visionary likes this.
  8. Teren_Kanan

Teren_Kanan Well-Known Member

1,701 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Yes.. Yes he was. Until they destroyed the character.. I so wanted a Deadpool movie. Odd as it is Deadpool was one of my favorite comics growing up, used to buy them up as soon as they were released, and any crossovers I could get. Thought Ryan was a fantastic choice, but then Origins happened.. and just.. wow. Now if he were to do a Deadpool film I'd want nothing to do with it if it was even remotely related to the Origins continuity.

Same reason I couldn't enjoy "The Wolverine". It constantly reminded me that Xmen Last Stand, did in fact happen.
  9. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,150 Messages
    1,164 Likes Received
    It would lead to his hulk transformation. If you read the link you will see there is plenty there to make it interesting. It actually has everything, sub stories and everything,

If you wouldn't be into no big deal. These movies are hit or miss anyway.
  10. Aikmaniac

4,185 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    I disagree about Ryan Reynolds and serious roles. The Amityville remake and Safe House come to mind.
  11. DallasEast

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    Glad you brought up Deadpool and X-Men Origins:Wolverine. I stopped buying comics titles full-time in the early 90's. After watching the movie, I was left thinking Marvel had re-done Deadpool's character as I remember it from back then. That wasn't it, right? The movie corrupted his character didn't it? I didn't have the greatest opinion of the movie already, but now it has dropped a few more pegs in my book.
  12. DallasEast

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    I've only seen the original Amityville Horror, so I cannot comment on Reynolds for it. I did see Safe House though. Maybe I just don't see him as that strong of a dramatic actor. I can't get Van Wilder out of my head whenever I see him on screen.
  13. DallasEast

28,422 Messages
    1,907 Likes Received
    I think Allison Mack and the whole Wall of Weird/X-Files dynamic really defined Smallville in its early seasons. Don't get me wrong. Kristen Kreuk was good, but Mack gave the show a few extra edges for the pre-Superman years which Lana couldn't. The whole kryptonite-creates-evil-mutants-for-Clark-to-fight deal was pretty good too.
  14. joseephuss

21,880 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    I know the background of the character. I glanced at your link and it just reminded me of everything I already know. There isn't enough there to make a stand alone movie or a TV series based on a pre-Hulk Banner only. He is a more interesting character when having to deal with his alter ego. Plus the TV Hulk's origins are different than the version in the comic books.
  15. Aikmaniac

4,185 Messages
    176 Likes Received
    Yes, it's unfortunate for his career. I liken Reynolds' career to Robin Williams' filmography over the last decade or so. People have a real difficult time giving his non-comedic, dramatic roles a chance. Who's to blame them? I don't want to watch Robin Williams be serious or demented. Reynolds still has a chance though to make a solid choice to resurrect his career. He's got his work cut out for him for sure. RIPD, his latest effort, was atrocious.
  16. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

2,543 Messages
    676 Likes Received
    I agree.
  17. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

25,150 Messages
    1,164 Likes Received

Again, opinion, interest and preference. They rehash characters/stories we already know as naseum... So it is doable. If done right it could work IMO.