1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Gov't advisors seek to cut 'high carbon' foods of menus...

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, May 26, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,726 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    Gov't advisors seek to cut 'high carbon' foods of menus...

GIVE up lamb roasts and save the planet. Government advisers are developing menus to combat climate change by cutting out “high carbon” food such as meat from sheep, whose burping poses a serious threat to the environment.

Out will go kebabs, greenhouse tomatoes and alcohol. Instead, diners will be encouraged to consume more potatoes and seasonal vegetables, as well as pork and chicken, which generate fewer carbon emissions.

“Changing our lifestyles, including our diets, is going to be one of the crucial elements in cutting carbon emissions,” said David Kennedy, chief executive of the Committee on Climate Change.

Kennedy has stopped eating his favourite doner kebabs because they contain lamb.

A government-sponsored study into greenhouse gases found that producing 2.2lb of lamb released the equivalent of 37lb of carbon dioxide.

The problem is because sheep burp so much methane, a potent greenhouse gas. Cows are only slightly better behaved. The production of 2.2lb of beef releases methane equivalent to 35lb of CO2 Tomatoes, most of which are grown in heated glasshouses, are the most “carbon-intensive” vegetable, each 2.2lb generating more than 20lb of CO2 Potatoes, in contrast, release only about 1lb of CO2 for each 2.2lb of food. The figures are similar for most other native fruit and vegetables.

“We are not saying that everyone should become vegetarian or give up drinking but moving towards less carbon intensive foods will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve health,” said Kennedy.

The climate committee is analysing emissions from farming and will suggest measures to reduce them. However, it has concluded that people will have to change their habits.

Alcoholic drinks are another significant contributory factor, with the growing and processing of crops such as hops and malt into beer and whisky helping to generate 1.5% of the nation’s greenhouse gases.

The Carbon Trust, a government-funded firm, is working with food and drink companies to calculate the “carbon footprints” of products - sometimes with surprising results.

Coca-Cola, for example, generates only about half the greenhouse gas emissions of Innocent’s “smoothies”. Cadbury’s chocolate generates about 4½lb for every 2.2lb eaten - less than half that from theof CO2 same weight of chicken.
  2. sacase

sacase Well-Known Member

4,303 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    oh come on, this is just getting beyond stupid.
  3. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Isn't it amazing the lengths these clowns will go to?
    To concoct, author, edit, hold meetings over and finally publish this drivel?

This is no better than Bat Boy.
  4. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,784 Messages
    278 Likes Received
    We'll be conditioned to not even complain about such things inside 1 year.....

most have already accepted the things they feigned outrage over just a month ago........as now normal.........heck, alot probably cant even remember what they were, without going back into the archives.......

The frog only notices the water is boiling when its too late.....
  5. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Kind of funny when Pork is consider one of the more unhealthy meats to eat :eek:

Lets not add the issue with certain regions and pork

This is as stupid as it comes; I find it funny that congress looks like lemmings heading for the cliff.

I am sorry 99% of congress could not maintain a real job they are to stupid and have no real skill.
  6. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    But so delicious. mmm... bacon...

I like Lamb too though :(
  7. adamc91115

adamc91115 New Member

738 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Leave me alone and let me eat what I want.

Its amazing how gullible people are... They will go along with ANYTHING. I'm willing to bet at least 30-40% of American's support this trash, too.
  8. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,339 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    this is what happens when you make being stupid trendy and reward it.

it only encourages "them".
  9. ThaBigP

ThaBigP New Member

2,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well, if you hand out trophies just for showing up for a while...it turns into handing out diplomas and degrees like candy from a PEZ dispenser. Those degrees turn into tenured positions at formerly esteemed institutions of higher education, electoral candidacies, and federal appointments.