1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Grade the Cowboys 2012 rookie Draft class

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Ultimategamer5567, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Based only on 2012 performance, I would give the class a C+ in the aggregate.

1. Mo Claiborne: C+
    An earlier poster said he was the third best rookie corner this season. I think that's generous - Mo was probably the 4th or 5th best rookie corner, but he was also asked to do the most. The others largely played with a lot of protection, and the best performances came from those who had excellent safety help, something Mo didn't have. You have to expect more from a guy who cost so much to acquire, so I'd say a mildly disappointing first year from a player who is likely to become a very strong starting cornerback within 1-2 years.

3. Tyrone Crawford: B
    A pretty good story of development. As he got more opportunities, especially in the tail end of the season, Crawford started to look like one of the top 3 5-techniques on our roster, which might not be saying much, admittedly. Still, for a 3rd round pick, 300 snaps and late season productivity is an acceptable haul.

4. Kyle Wilber: C-
    Very disappointed by Kyle's inability to make a mark on special teams, perhaps more than the fact that he never got good (or healthy?) enough to play any meaningful snaps. You can't expect the world from 4th round picks, but special teams production has to be on your list.

4. Matt Johnson: I
    Not willing to grade this guy. We know what we were getting into with this pick for season #1. We'll see if it was worth it.

5. Danny Coale: I
    Same deal.

6. James Hanna: B+
    Above average special teams production and flashes of potential in the offense is exactly what you're hoping for from a 6th round flyer with strong physical characteristics and upside. Easily the best value in our draft class.

7. Caleb McSurdy: I
    Given an I out of politeness.
  2. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,432 Messages
    2,291 Likes Received
    No, that is not the answer and two years from now, long after your post is vapor on the internet, he will be an all-pro.
  3. fatboygixxer

fatboygixxer Active Member

245 Messages
    71 Likes Received
    Mo gave up just one touchdown over his final nine games, including four games in which he allowed no more than 27 yards.

Tell me, what are your expectations of a rookie cb?

And btw, your avatar pic is a sole example of why Cowboy fans are hated so much. You think a rookie suffering a possible career ending injury is funny?
  4. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,444 Messages
    6,004 Likes Received
    C+

I hated our 4th rd picks.
  5. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    I think Mo played fine this year. The main thing that have people's panties in a bunch is that a couple of other rookie CBs had better years -- at least in the big statistical items people tend to look at -- mainly interceptions.
  6. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,444 Messages
    6,004 Likes Received
    not only that but i think jerry did him a disservice by comparing his pre-draft evaluations to deion sanders.
  7. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

6,110 Messages
    1,882 Likes Received
    Oh definately that. I think we've all come to expect a certain amount of hyperbole from Valley Ranch, however, nobody else on the planet viewed Claiborne as a one in a generation type of CB -- especially athletically.

He can, and probably will, be a Pro-Bowler. Nothing wrong with that.
  8. EPL0c0

EPL0c0 The Funcooker

5,043 Messages
    279 Likes Received
    1. Claiborne, CB - B - Was a rookie, looks to have room for improvement.

3. Crawford, DE - B - might develop, looks OK

4. Wilber, OLB - D - Didn't show much.

4(2). Johnson, S - I - Can't grade what we can't see.

5. Coale, WR - I - Same as Johnson, but will have a tough time breaking in

6. Hanna, TE - C - Lots of potential here; needs more snaps.

7. McSurdy, ILB - I - Same as Johnson and Coale
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,801 Likes Received
    How do three guys who never saw the field all have different grades?
  10. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,676 Messages
    9,903 Likes Received
    I'm assuming Coale's I grade stands for Incredible.
  11. Ultimategamer5567

Ultimategamer5567 Member

824 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Somebody had a little too much to drink from Jerry's cooler the night before, I'm guessing.
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Would have prefered Marvin Jones over Coale, but sure hope I was wrong.
    Of course, I also really like George Iloka that late in the 5th round and he hasn't done much.