1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Grantland: The Cowboys have built the leagues best OL, but at what cost?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Section444, Jul 18, 2014.

1. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasin Zone Supporter

3,397 Messages
    1,327 Likes Received
    Yeah I was being a jerk in trying to throw a little salt on that disconnect with Floyd in 13. That really had my teeth grind when I heard about that lack of professionalism on the part of management. The team did scoop Fred/TW (got lucky tbh considering the confusion but not complaining either). I agree about the pure talent board for draft value like @jrumann59 mentioned and also your point about not over valuing draft prospects at need positions. The one thing I (and everyone I guess) would like the team to improve on is taking their mid round selections more seriously. It seems the team tends to get cute post round 3 when there is still legitimate talent on the board like with MJ, Coale, Webb, Randle, and even Hitchens but will obviously wait on him. I understand McClay has more power in the board and direction, and really outside of 2nd round TEs, the team has improved greatly in their early selections. Carter/Claiborne had the talent (RKG? couldn't resist) and are prime for a rebound.
  2. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,542 Messages
    4,122 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with them drafting players that didn't line up with the draft media's projections like Matt Johnson and Hitchens.
  3. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,423 Messages
    750 Likes Received
    Well, last year we were 7th in average yds. per rush, yet we didn't run the ball, it's there if we use it. Even more so this year.
  4. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

2,054 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    When are we going to challenge the notion that guards and centers aren't worth 1st round picks?

All studies show that centers and guards are among the safest and most reliable first round selections. We saw that last year with Fred. We hope to see that again with Martin.

And no the investment hasn't been that great.for the 16th and 31st pick especially when you add Williams to the mix.

More than anything you follow your board. We have. Let's move along people.
    5Stars likes this.
  5. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,546 Messages
    1,544 Likes Received
    Dallas players they wanted were

1. Anthony Barr
    2. Aaron Donald
    3. Ryan Shazier
    4. Zack Martin
    Kaiser likes this.
  6. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    I said four because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have passed on Clowney, had he fallen.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,506 Messages
    5,238 Likes Received
    You should link the studies. But my point isn't that they're not safe. It's that they're resources most teams find lower in the draft. Like running backs or halfbacks or punters or kickers...only not as obviously.

And again, I'm not complaining about either player. I really like them both. It's just not the most efficient use of resources. And we wouldn't have drafted either guy if the picks in front of us broke more in our favor. That's not exactly controversial to say.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,546 Messages
    1,544 Likes Received
    Realistically 3. Noways was Clowney not going 1
  9. lostar2009

lostar2009 Active Member

738 Messages
    118 Likes Received
    This team could have fixed the oline years ago. They have pass on so many good centers. Add in the fact they could have double dip on the line last year but pass on Walford...smh
  10. Toruk_Makto

2,054 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Just a quick search.
    http://nyjetscap.com/round1.html
    BigStar likes this.
  11. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,695 Messages
    620 Likes Received
    I didn't say it was realistic; just said if they could have had him over Martin I'm pretty sure they would take him. That is the truth the OP ignores.
  12. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

16,503 Messages
    1,064 Likes Received
    I can't get over any complication in taking a whole offensive line with zero net value just three seasons removed, and ending up with an across the front, credible one and all of which is below the tundra of chilling costs...and having disagreement upon anything dealing with that fact.

I get it....oh, oh, oh...I want some star war action figures. (geeze, chuckling to self)
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,506 Messages
    5,238 Likes Received
    Cool. This actually matches my expectations. It stands to reason that the hit rate is high when relatively few at the position are chosen. They're getting cherry picked. Teams aren't tempted to reach early when options exist later in the draft.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,437 Messages
    1,457 Likes Received
    with this teams horrendous record of picking any O line players after the 2nd rd, one could almost say 3 first rd picks were needed.
    5Stars and BigStar like this.
  15. BigStar

3,397 Messages
    1,327 Likes Received
    I do (respectfully), they don't have the players on the roster that mgmt can point to that justifies their reaching. Maybe Frederick, but he was a 1st RD/higher grade. I would think they would go with the safer choices to account for the poor drafting and lack of depth on the team. If we were a perennial playoff team I could accept that perspective. The team would have proven they know what they are doing and not simply being arrogant/ignorant with these mid round reaches. Who was the last good to great player that they reached for post round 3 (honest q)? I don't believe OScan was a reach (5th).
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  16. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

5,744 Messages
    510 Likes Received
    they should have done it after the 13-3 season,the season after that really started our downfall with the oline aging and players like Gurude not performing.
  17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,510 Messages
    4,746 Likes Received
    Not full bore, but they needed to have an exit plan for Gurode, Colombo and Bigg.
  18. Arkyvarminter

Arkyvarminter Well-Known Member

1,025 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    OK, everyone agrees the O line is going to be good. Now, when Murray starts getting chunks of yards against a quality opponent are we going to feed him the ball like they did with Emmitt or start passing for no reason and keep the game close? That's what happened last year. I just don't think Garrett likes to stick with run when its working and I only hope a new OC will change this.........
  19. Toruk_Makto

2,054 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    It isn't that teams just wait for options later in drafts it's that very few centers and guards merit first round grades. But when they do you take them and plug them in and don't worry about them for a decade.

That's invaluable for a squad. You know you have a position locked up for years and years. You don't have to waste draft resources constantly finding short term solutions.
  20. BigStar

3,397 Messages
    1,327 Likes Received
    Thanks for that info. Seems we've solidified those two positions that fit (C/G) with Fred/Martin. Will make it that much easier for the transition when it comes time to replace Romo, not to forget Tyron as a coveted top LT. The next QB will have much of it in place for them. I think JJ won't go the cheap route displayed when replacing Aikman and the team will even move up in the first if need be to get their guy.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014