1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Grantland: The Cowboys have built the leagues best OL, but at what cost?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Section444, Jul 18, 2014.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,309 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    Glad you left the Queen out of it...:)
  2. Primetime42

Primetime42 Well-Known Member

2,947 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    Whether or not passing on drafting Floyd was a "Garrett move" has zero impact on Travis Frederick's selection.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed...part 2 Zone Supporter

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    i've read a thousand stupid articles on the internet.

guess i'll add 1 more.

you don't win w/o a good line. superficial bull**** needs to just shut up.
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,138 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    Its never to late to get your line ready. Sure it would've been nicer if Romo had it earlier in his career but its never too late. Its actually perfect now that Romo has back problems. But Romo has had some decent lines. Actually he's had some good to above average ones as well.
  5. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

1,073 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    Many coaches get fired as they attempt to build the trenches. You can build the trenches for a team, and if you don't any relative success within those, your head coach gets fired. Alot of coaches get fired because they lack playmakers as they build trenches.

Singletary built the trenches for the 49ers quite well. He was not the best coach, but he definitely gave Harbaugh a very good foundation to work with.
  6. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    trenches takes time.

it also makes and brakes the rest of the team.

i'm one damn happy camper to see us FINALLY put the focus back on the trenches.
    casmith07 and Szczepanik like this.
  7. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,988 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    That is how it went down.

Outright targeted.
  8. Szczepanik

Szczepanik Well-Known Member

1,073 Messages
    615 Likes Received
    Me too. I feel we are building our team the exact opposite that Seattle. and SF have though.

They went trenches and defense first, then playmakers second. We clearly went the opposite route.
  9. iceberg

28,394 Messages
    1,424 Likes Received
    there's no 1 way to build a winning team. i'd *never* try to win the way another person was doing it.

trust who you have, or don't.
  10. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,068 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    I think the Cowboys have built a very good O-line, but the Eagles have the best in the league no contest.
  11. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,636 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    When I mean too late, I'm referring to ...
    1. The emphasis to draft top offensive linemen early
    2. Giving the offensive line time to gel together and
    3. Establishing the brand of football (smash mouth) that has proven to serve teams well in the playoffs.

And I have to factor Romo's age into the equation.

Having a bad back in football is serious. You couple that with Romo's age, and I don't know how long he'll have to benefit from this "new" emphasis on the offensive line.

Just my take.
    adbutcher likes this.
  12. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,743 Messages
    415 Likes Received
    So having a great OL is a negative to the team? I thought I have heard everything but this takes the cake.

Just a little better D we would have won the east last year. This year our D will be improved, coupled with Romo and the skills we will win the east and barring injuries have a surprising playoff run.

Historically teams that build up front starting with the big uglies will have a good team with good longevity. The problem is building teams this way does not alleviate fan hysterics and mediot pot shots who based on expectations of quick and easy flashes to fix a football team.
  13. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    And Floyd has been just ripping it up in Viking land right?
  14. cowboyblue22

cowboyblue22 Active Member

558 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    so now u get ripped for building a good offensive line. okay
  15. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,322 Messages
    2,214 Likes Received
    It does when your talking about Garrett's and Tom for that matter being clue-less as to what is going on, when your trying to establish Garrett is changing the culture and influencing Garrett in positive direction. What's even more befuddling about going after Floyd is him being a 3-4 and this team deciding to go 4-3 in January, 4 months prior to the draft. What type of disconnect are we talking here?

What's even further comical is Jerry telling us that Garrett is going to be even more hands off in the offense and walking the side of the defense, when things like this happen..
  16. Aggie87

Aggie87 Member

164 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    You're missing the point, too. It was never whether Floyd was a good player or draft pick. It was where he was on the Cowboys board.
  17. dfense

dfense Well-Known Member

2,778 Messages
    334 Likes Received
    I understand. But he, like Manzel, didn't fit their plan. You could have a player rated high that you don't like for whatever reason.

From what I heard Floyd was more of a plugger than gap penatrator. Not a good fit. Marinelli gave a thumbs down.
  18. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,636 Messages
    1,207 Likes Received
    I haven't read the entire thread and every post. Is someone actually ripping the Cowboys for building a good offensive line?
  19. rocyaice

rocyaice Well-Known Member

7,138 Messages
    1,152 Likes Received
    I understand what you're saying. I would've liked it done earlier as well but I don't think you can ever address this late. Because worst case scenario....when we are grooming our next QB after Romo his line will be in their mid 20's and have years together. Had we address it earlier in Romo's career the line would be fading and be in their late 20's to early 30's. Just taking a different approach to it.