1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Graziano: Another case for the Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 8, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,475 Messages
    3,313 Likes Received
    Jun 7
    2:14
    PM ET
    By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

I fear this will go on for the entire offseason, but there's a real dichotomy right now in the NFL prediction business with regard to the Dallas Cowboys' prospects for the 2013 season. I have heard and read some who believe they could be one of the worst teams in the league. But while anything's possible, I personally don't see that. As of now, I think they have a strong chance to be the best team in the NFC East. Field Yates seems to be believing along with me in this possibility, though his piece here [IMG] acknowledges and addresses some critical things that need to go right for the Cowboys to win the division for the first time since 2009.

The three elements Field cites are the ability of the defense to transition to Monte Kiffin's Tampa 2, the performance of the offensive line and quarterback Tony Romo's ability to play up to his contract. All are significant concerns, especially after the line was atrocious in 2012 and Romo threw those three interceptions in the Week 17 division title game in Washington. But I'm zeroing in on the offensive line. I think the defense has the personnel (especially with Sean Lee and Bruce Carter at linebacker) to make Kiffin's defense work. And I don't buy the idea that there's something fundamentally wrong with Romo that will always make him play poorly in big games. I think he's an excellent player who, given enough chances, will come through one of these days. I think talent rises, even if that process can be frustrating and take more time than fans like.

For me, the Cowboys are all about that offensive line and whether it can play beyond its pedigree and expectations.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/52001/another-case-for-the-dallas-cowboys
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,821 Messages
    1,606 Likes Received
    Not surprisingly, Rick Gosselin picked Dallas to come in 3rd in the NFCE again.

It's not way out of line to pick them 3rd, it was just that it was fully expected from Gosselin. After all, he's the same guy who thinks Bruce Carter and Jay Ratliff don't fit well in the new defense.
  3. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,240 Messages
    2,806 Likes Received
    What an original thought.

:rolleyes:
  4. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    He says you need to win 12 or 13 games to win the NFC South or AFC East? The Pats and Falcons got 12 and 13 wins, but they hardly needed them when the team closest to them in each division was 7-9.

Frankly the "best" regular season teams are always the teams that play against the worst competition. The Pats have a cakewalk schedule every year as do the Broncos. The 49ers and Seahawks claim to have a tough division, but two teams have losing records and they all got to pummel the weak AFC East.

That's why the Ravens won the whole thing despite "only" going 10-6. They had to face tough Bengals and Steeler teams and a deep NFC East.

I honestly think if the Giants and not Washington had won the East they would have gone to the Superbowl again.