1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Graziano: Cowboys cap weird night with lineman pick

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 26, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,657 Messages
    4,787 Likes Received
    Apr 26
    12:28
    AM CT

By Dan Graziano | ESPNDallas.com

I'm looking at this pick, and I'm thinking these very positive things about it:
    • They needed interior offensive line help more than any team in the NFL needed anything in this entire draft, and this guy is an interior offensive lineman. He can challenge Phil Costa for the center's job or either starting guard for his.
    • He's a giant -- 6-foot-3⅝, 312 pounds -- and known as a physical presence in the run game. Run blocking might be a higher priority for the Cowboys in their ongoing hunt for line help than pass protection is, since left tackle is the one spot at which they're set and Tony Romo is pretty good at protecting himself and making plays on the run.
    • Just because Scouts Inc. ranked Warford 53rd and this guy 70th doesn't make the pick ridiculous. You pay your scouts to find guys who fit what you want to do, and then you trust them. All week, everybody told me the Cowboys needed to trust their board, and it appears what happened here was that they didn't have anyone they liked at 18 so they snagged an extra pick and moved down to take a guy they did like. If you think all that's left to you is second-rounders, then why not just start the second round two picks early and add a third-rounder that might help you maneuver into that second round Friday night?
    As I always say, I can't predict the way these guys will play, and neither can the Cowboys or anyone else. And if you want to argue that they didn't get great value for their first-round pick, I really don't have a response. But this was a weird year for the first round. The top six offensive linemen went in the top 11 picks -- something that hadn't happened in the history of the NFL draft. Clearly, this was a year in which offensive linemen were being overvalued, so this pick kind of lines up with that.

Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4707829/cowboys-cap-weird-night-with-lineman-pick
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    He's wrong regarding their board.

Fisher says that Ciskowski was fuming and Garrett was not too thrilled either when they passed on Floyd--who was anywhere between 7 and 15 on their board--to trade down.

Jerry overruled 15 months of scouting in 15 minutes, quite possibly.

If Frederick comes in a dn starts for 8-9 years and they succeed the rest of the way, this draft can still be good though.
    Lot's of value coming up.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    there is a reason so many teams passed on Floyd.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    Only a couple of teams that wanted a DT passed on him. He was either going to go real early or was going to slide into the teens. Oakland was the team that passed onhim twice. But that's Oakland. Almost none of the other early teams seemd like great fits for him. And all had more pressing needs.

I was not a huge fan either, but he did end up going at 22, and to a team who runs a very similar from 4 as Dallas. In fact, a Kiffin relative helps run that D.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,657 Messages
    4,787 Likes Received
    I didn't have to hear it from Fisher. Saw it as I was watching the War Room cam.

It took about an hour before Jason re-engaged in the process.
  6. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    ........SINCERELY,

Randy Moss:bang2:
  7. mortboy

mortboy Member

786 Messages
    16 Likes Received

I wasn't completely sold on the pick last night, but after watching some of his tape I don't think I hate the pick. I think with him and Costa playing together it will help the run game a lot. Assuming he doesn't replace Costa.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    Yeah, he had a very pissed off look on his face for a long, long time.
  9. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    By definition whenever you trade down you pass on a player you had ranked higher.

The key is picking up two or more players who combined are better value than the best available at the spot you traded down from.

Basically the Cowboys felt Frederick + Williams > Floyd, and they're probably right.
  10. CashMan

CashMan Well-Known Member

1,333 Messages
    157 Likes Received

If this is your logic for not picking him, what do you have to say about Aaron Rodgers?