1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Graziano: Cowboys' line was penalty-free Monday

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 5, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Oct 4
    4:15
    PM ET
    By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Here's another silver lining from the Dallas Cowboys' miserable Monday night loss to the Chicago Bears: They weren't whistled for one single false-start penalty in the entire game.

Hey, I'm trying here.

As you can see from Todd Archer's penalty breakdown, the false starts were a major problem in the first three games of the season. Left tackle Tyron Smith was called for five, right tackle Doug Free for four and tight end Jason Witten for three. That's an average of four false-start penalties per game, which is basically handing your opponent 20 free yards per game, and so it's a good thing that the Cowboys' linemen weren't as jumpy Monday as they had been. (Though it does bear mentioning that, as you may have heard, there were different officials in place for Game 4 than there were for the first three.)

Anyway, I'm getting away from my intended point, which I think is that the Cowboys' offensive linemen were a little bit steadier in at least this one aspect of their play Monday. And as awful as the Cowboys' offensive line has been this year, lines do tend to improve as the year goes along and they play together. In general, they seemed to get decent push in the run game on the left side, though still nothing on the right side with Free and Mackenzy Bernadeau. And the pass protection certainly had its moments, which it didn't in either of the prior two weeks. The Cowboys' line has a long, long way to go, but any signs of improvement have to be considered encouraging.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/43938/cowboys-line-was-penalty-free-monday
  2. jgboys1

jgboys1 Well-Known Member

3,848 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    So, other than that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
  3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Penalty free yea, but they were also block free...
  4. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And boom goes the dynamite...

:hammer:
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,087 Messages
    5,409 Likes Received
    They need to be free of Free.
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And it was noted during the game, that the offensive playcalling was simplified and Dallas clearly ran more play-action than they normally do, which indicates play-calling does impact OL play.. meaning, Garrett....
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,906 Messages
    2,721 Likes Received
    I admit it, that hurt and cracked me up at the same time.
  8. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Same here. Haha. If we continue to eliminate dumb penalties, I will be happy. It's a process, after all.
  9. MagicMan

MagicMan Active Member

840 Messages
    103 Likes Received
    LLOLLLL, hey, one at a time yall. Walk and chew gum is really hard. :rolleyes:
  10. MyBad

MyBad Member

88 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Can I vote this as the BEST line of the day...lol:D
  11. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,649 Messages
    694 Likes Received
    Fo realz yo. stacking up one process at a time.
  12. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,727 Messages
    248 Likes Received
    They lost. Who cares..

Gimme 15 penalties from the team as long as they win.
  13. weaver21

weaver21 Active Member

667 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    Find it ironic that we've committed more than ten penalties in our only two wins and only seven combined penalties in our two losses. :confused:
  14. erod

erod Well-Known Member

5,049 Messages
    2,234 Likes Received
    As bad as the line has been, Monday's loss was about miscommunications /mishaps between Romo and the receivers.

Chicago scored one offensive touchdown (neither theirs nor ours count in garbage time).

Despite the lack of a running game, that was a VERY winnable game if we're kicking field goals and punting instead of giving away pick-sixes and red-zone turnovers.
  15. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Gotta disagree there....thats the attitude that allowed the 13-3 team to lose in its first playoff game.
  16. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,140 Messages
    1,113 Likes Received
    I actually find that commendable. It didn't result in much better play, but it does show that they worked on it in practice and improved.
  17. Hook'em#11

Hook'em#11 Well-Known Member

2,727 Messages
    248 Likes Received

Defensive letdowns was why that happened.. As well as weak O-line play
  18. Prossman

Prossman Active Member

946 Messages
    47 Likes Received
    and a dropped pass by crayton , didnt help either