1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Graziano: Tony Romo: The old man and the NFC

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 6, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,734 Likes Received
    Feb 6
    10:10
    AM ET

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

Jean-Jacques Taylor has run the numbers and figured out that the Dallas Cowboys' Tony Romo will be the second-oldest starting quarterback in the NFC next season, behind only Drew Brees. Yipes.

Now, as we have discussed here many times, 33 is not end-of-the-line old for quarterbacks in the NFL in the year 2013. But it's closer to the end than it is to the beginning, and Jacques' point here is that the infusion of talented and successful young quarterbacks in the NFC is making Romo's path to the Super Bowl even more difficult than it already was. His other point is that Romo needs help:

For Romo to lead the Cowboys to the Super Bowl, Jerry must build a team around Romo the way the Denver Broncos built around John Elway.

When the Broncos won consecutive Super Bowls in 1997 and 1998, they were built around running back Terrell Davis, tight end Shannon Sharpe and receiver Rod Smith. Those guys did the heavy lifting.

A few times each game, the Broncos asked Elway to deliver one of his magical plays -- and he did. Early in his career, the Broncos asked Elway to do all of the heavy lifting and he was still dynamic enough to get Denver to three Super Bowls, which is why he's in the Hall of Fame.
    No one is comparing Romo to Elway in terms of talent -- only in terms of what their teams ask each player to do.
    Read the rest: http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/48740/tony-romo-the-old-man-and-the-nfc
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    He mentions Romo in comparison to John Elway.

My opinion is that Romo is better than what Elway ever was.

I admit I'm not an Elway fan.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    See MW, it comments like this that put the rest of us guys that back Tony in a bad light.

Kind the same on the opposite end of those who say "Tony sux" and "always chokes". Equally wrong.

You statement is way out of line.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Joking, right?
  5. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,677 Messages
    1,619 Likes Received
    Elway LATER in his career was better than Romo. But in his first 5 years or so he was not.
  6. DFWJC

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    Anyway, I know the point was not that Romo is "old" as much as it was that the NFC has had a lot of young starting QBs come in over the past few seasons.

As for age, Eli is only months younger than Romo, Brady is 3 years older, Peyton is more than that.
    Romo is more fit now than he was two years ago. Still, you have to think all that beating he has taken has taken some toll on him.

I will say this; I think there are more good (did not say great) QBs in the NFL now than at any time in the past.
  7. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,734 Likes Received
    Actually the point of the blog and JJT's article, that's in the link is that Elway was asked to do too much and couldn't win until he had some pieces around him.

From the article's perspective, that's where the comparison of Romo vs Elway ends.
  8. DFWJC

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    Makes sense. I'd much prefer Tony not throw it 40-50 times.
  9. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,718 Messages
    3,931 Likes Received
    There are a couple of things about Tony that are pretty unique. Tony doesn't have Elway's arm but then few have. Only one QB comes to mind that does the Houdini like Tony does and he didn't have as much ability to make things happen. There are likely others that just don't come to mind but the point remains.

Tony needs a better team THEN he needs to take them home. If he does that then maybe he can join the club.
  10. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,039 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Yeah and Elway was very good in those 80s super bowl seasons. The Broncos ran into some really hot teams from the NFC who played lights-out in those games. Heck, Simms was 22 of 25 passing.
  11. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    I don't think so.

Elway is way over-rated.
  12. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    I'm not laughing. :)
  13. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Wow.

Just... wow.

I love Romo but give me a freaking break.

Wow.
  14. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,787 Messages
    786 Likes Received
    This.

I was going to say this but you said it better.
  15. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    Nope...

No break for you.
  16. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,301 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    This. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but to say that Romo is better than Elway ever was is just plain ridiculous. I think he´s forgetting Elway´s 3 SB appearances + an NFL MVP with no pro bowl WR, TE or RB (that I can recall anyway) before he went on to win two of them.
    By the way, I love Romo but he is nowhere near Elway´s league.
  17. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    Oh I think Elway was a very good QB.
  18. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,301 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    But not quite as good as Romo I imagine??? Hey man I respect everybody’s opinion but you have to admit you are way off on this one, I think your hate towards Elway got the best of you :D

I could hate Kobe Bryant but I would never say Tony Parker is better than Kobe ever was haha
  19. MichaelWinicki

32,239 Messages
    2,873 Likes Received
    I don't go by SB wins. To me that's a factor but necessarily the ultimate factor of who's best at any one position.
  20. DFWJC

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    Elway flat out carried some teams deep into the playoffs way before he was on a SB winning team.

Those were very good Denver teams but some of his playoff performances are still legendary. Ask any Browns fan. He had several Montana-like game winning drives.