1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Green Bay Releases Charles Woodson

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by HoustonFrog, Feb 15, 2013.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,898 Messages
    633 Likes Received
    http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/255681/football-headlines?r=1

2. montgod

montgod Active Member

1,846 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  3. Paniolo22

Paniolo22 Hawaiian Cowboy

3,606 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    There's our safety....
  4. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,434 Messages
    128 Likes Received
  5. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,521 Messages
    467 Likes Received
    He's WAY too old and he'd be nothing but a progress stopper.

Would love to have had him 10 years ago, but not today.
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,168 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    Would rather go after Ronde Barber if we go the "veteran" route. He had a decent season at FS and knows Kiffin's system.
  7. montgod

montgod Active Member

1,846 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Good point.. but I don't think he is a FA though. Is he?
  8. IAmLegend

IAmLegend Well-Known Member

2,998 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8951703/charles-woodson-released-green-bay-packers-source

Much to the dismay of Packer fans. Any chance the Cowboys take a look at the 36 year old corner? I think he still has some good football left in him. He may not be the elite corner he once was, but he's still better than a lot of guys in this league. Maybe a permanent move to Safety would help preserve him a bit. He played there some last season and played well. He certainly has the ball-hawking skills to make the move. What do you guys think?
  9. Matt

Matt Member

672 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Green Bay Packers will release 2009's Defensive Player of the Year, Charles Woodson, NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reported.

Best of 2012: Green Bay Packers
    Take a look at the best photos from the Green Bay Packers̢۪ 2012 season.
    "They're getting ready to release him. It's part of the business," agent Carl Poston said. "I just talked to him. He sounds like he has a lot of football left.

"He'd like to go play for a contender, win another Super Bowl."

Woodson was due $9 million in 2013 and would count $10 million against the cap. He's just not worth that any longer.

Woodson moved to safety last season as his cover skills declined. The Packers went with the cornerback trio of Tramon Williams, Sam Shields and rookie Casey Hayward. They have young talent in safeties Morgan Burnett, M.D. Jennings and Jerron McMillian.

It will be interesting to see where Woodson lands. He's 36 years old and not the same playmaker he once was. But Woodson brings a strong presence to the locker room and is an upgrade from over plenty of corners in the league.

He can cover on the inside, matches up well with athletic tight ends and is still disruptive around the line of scrimmage. His intelligence enables him to be a coach on the field and makes up for some physical limitations. Woodson always was a risk-taker, but that started to become a problem as he lost a step.

You have to take the good with the bad when it comes to Woodson at this point of his career.

There will be teams that want Woodson on the roster. He could be the missing veteran piece for an organization ready for a championship run.

Could be our missing piece
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,669 Messages
    668 Likes Received
    Maybe, but I just don't like the idea of going after anyone with that kind of mileage on his tires. He could probably be a good box safety, but if Church is healthy, that would be his position. Not sure how much Woodson has left, and he can't cover very well anymore. Plus, he still won't come terribly cheap. Personally, I'd look elsewhere.
  11. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,515 Messages
    1,478 Likes Received
    He is almost done as a player, maybe has one or two years left max,

He would be good as a mentor to the youngins but way too expensive to fill that role.

Pass on him and get someone younger IMO.
  12. Lonestar94

Lonestar94 Well-Known Member

3,108 Messages
    441 Likes Received
    No more old guys!!
  13. CIWhitefish

CIWhitefish Member

787 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    No and we shouldn't go after Titus Young either.
  14. dallascowboysfan31

dallascowboysfan31 Member

720 Messages
    5 Likes Received
  15. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,370 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    Too old and injured no thanks.
  16. SacredStar

SacredStar Active Member

2,693 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Woodson has been huge for GB for years. Nobody wanted this guy when Oakland released him but he became a star with the packers. Have to agree his age maybe caught up with him. Kaepernick abused him with the pass and run in the playoffs....Charles looked slow and o/p most of the game.
  17. ghst187

ghst187 Well-Known Member

5,416 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    no thanks to bringing him in but I will say CW is easily one of my favorite all-time college players. I also feel forever indebted to him for winning the heisman over Manning whom everyone, including him, thought he was 'entitled' to it.
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,819 Messages
    702 Likes Received
    He had a great run there.
  19. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,509 Messages
    6,709 Likes Received
    Agreed.

Good idea. In 2003.
  20. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,312 Messages
    1,202 Likes Received
    Heck in 2003-2005 Charles Woodson fell slowly out of favor with the Raiders and was considered across the league as a malcontent.

When he finally hit the FA market after the 2005 season there was no rush for anyone to sign him -- basically almost no-one wanted him. He didn't want to play for GB and only accepted their offer because nobody else was very interested.