1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Guy shoots at White House?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by vta, Nov 17, 2011.

1. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    I'm sure there's every chance this could get political, but understand what I'm commenting on so it doesn't. If anyone thinks it's too close, just delete the thread. I'm just commenting on this kid...

I don't know what kind of time an assassination attempt would carry, but I don't imagine it will be short. 21 years old and facing that very charge. What an utter waste of your life.

Link
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    No doubt he is going away for a long time.
  3. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,038 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Apparantly a long string of mental health issues.
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    That article sure has grown since I first posted it...
    That's too young to throw your life away.
  5. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,874 Messages
    2,664 Likes Received
    As he should.
  6. Doomsday101

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    Yes sir, I agree 110%
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,632 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    How common is this kind of thing? Is my memory failing me or didn't this also happen while George W. Bush was in office? Or was it further back when Clinton was in office? I seem to remember someone being tackled out in the street after they shot at the White House. Did anyone doubt that someone who did this would have past mental health issues?
  8. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    During Bush's admin some guy with a rifle got shot outside the White House. 2001.
  9. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,223 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    I throw darts at this one all the time. :)

[IMG]
  10. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Not a mark on it. You must be a lousy shot...
  11. kristie

kristie Well-Known Member

7,607 Messages
    128 Likes Received
    :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:
  12. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,467 Messages
    2,852 Likes Received
    Apparently he was shooting at someone else, and two bullets struck the White House. They're charging him with an assassination attempt even though the President was away when it happened.
  13. DragonCowboy

DragonCowboy Well-Known Member

5,410 Messages
    125 Likes Received
    What an idiot. Regardless of politics, you don't just randomly shoot off a gun.
  14. Doomsday101

77,959 Messages
    3,462 Likes Received
    But I was trying to kill someone else. :laugh2:
  15. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I always thought the White House was too accessible to gunfire from the street. This guy needs to go away for a very long time.

As far as assassination attempts go, I don't think Bush II had an attempt on his life that was carried out. I don't think Clinton did either. I know that Bush I did but that was on foreign soil. Regan obviously did and so did Ford with Squeaky Fromme. (But her gun wasn't even loaded).

Anyway, regardless of political stripes, these people are husbands, fathers and sons. Attempting to take their life is something that should be automatic life in prison without possibility of parole.
  16. joseephuss

21,632 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    I think there were a couple of attempts on Ford.
  17. casmith07

27,467 Messages
    2,852 Likes Received
    I agree, and it's ridiculously accessible. All you have to do is walk up to the wrought iron fence.

But that's assuming you're able to do anything before the snipers see you. :laugh1:
  18. joseephuss

21,632 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    Did he know the president was away? The charge is protecting the office as much as it is protecting the person who currently holds the office.
  19. joseephuss

21,632 Messages
    1,392 Likes Received
    I found this on Wikipedia.

Gerald Ford

September 5, 1975: On the northern grounds of the California State Capitol, Lynette Fromme, a follower of Charles Manson, drew a Colt M1911 .45 caliber pistol on Ford when he reached to shake her hand in a crowd. There were four cartridges in the pistol's magazine but the firing chamber was empty. She was soon restrained by Secret Service agent Larry Buendorf. Fromme was sentenced to life in prison, but was released from custody on August 14, 2009, nearly 3 years after Ford's death.[14]

September 22, 1975: In San Francisco, California, Sara Jane Moore fired a revolver at Ford from 40 feet (12 m) away.[15] A bystander, Oliver Sipple, grabbed Moore's arm and the shot missed Ford.[16] Moore was sentenced to life in prison.[17] She was later paroled from a federal prison on Monday, December 31, 2007 (370 days after Ford's death) after serving more than 30 years.
  20. casmith07

27,467 Messages
    2,852 Likes Received
    Oh I know I'm not arguing against it. The only part that might be moderately problematic is that he was shooting from Constitution Ave NW, which is pretty dang far from the White House. They only found 2 of the alleged 8-10 shots fired.

I doubt he knew the President way away, but if he was watching ESPN earlier he would've seen the President and First Lady aboard the carrier in California for the UNC-MSU basketball Carrier Classic...which makes him even more of an idiot.