1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Hakeem Nicks...

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by numnuts23, Apr 20, 2009.

1. numnuts23

numnuts23 Active Member

2,065 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Have to be honest, don't know enough about him besides the highlights I've seen.

I've seen some places where they are worried he's the next Mike Williams from USC. Per Peter King on SI - he showed up Friday to a workout for the Ravens out of shape again. Seems to be a reoccurring theme for him.

Also seen some people (draft guys) claim he could be the next Fitzgerald?

What is everyone's thoughts on him?
  2. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,676 Messages
    1,493 Likes Received
    From Peter King CNNSI this AM. Bey has highest bust likelyhood IMO. Britt has highest upside. Nicks should be best shape of life and isnt.
  3. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    King is usually better at research than this demonstrates. Hicks hurt his leg (not badly) and did not show up in the shape he needed to be in. Granted, the 10 lbs or so extra seemed like a lot.
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I like him and I think he has a chance to be a very good NFL WR. There are no guarantees with any player no matter what any draft expert thinks. I have seen enough “Can’t miss player” bomb to know that
  5. HoleInTheRoof

HoleInTheRoof Benched

3,265 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I caught the tail end of a Mike and Mike interview with Todd McShay, and he referred someone as a "poor mans Troy Williamson."

Anyone have any idea who he was talking about?
  6. Monster Heel

Monster Heel Benched

1,923 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Didn't see it, but I'd bet on that being Bey.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    Wow, that would be very harsh.:laugh1:
  8. Spectre

Spectre Well-Known Member

2,157 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    sounds like Heyward-Bey?

In any case, put me down for Kenny McKinley.
  9. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    It was Heward- Bey. They were saying that he has great straight line speed like Williamson, but runs poor routes, drops catchable balls, and has lapses in concentration at times. Said that he is a gamble pick.

I honestly would not want him on the team. I don't believe he has character issues, but you simply cannot outrun everybody in the NFL like you do in college and expect to be successful. I would take crisp route running with 4.5 speed over sloppy route running and 4.3 speed any day of the week, especially on Sunday and Monday nights.
  10. Chief

Chief "Friggin Joke Monkey"

8,541 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Gamble?

That's just throwing money away.

Why any team would consider drafting a guy like that in the first four or five rounds is a mystery to me.

I know they think they can "coach 'em up" but that rarely works.

I wouldnt touch that guy.
  11. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    A poor mans Troy Williamson. OMG! that isn't even possible..is it?
  12. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,034 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    Here's what draftcountdown.com had to say:
    Not good for a supposed first round pick. I hope the Eagles take him.
  13. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The story his agent is telling is that Nicks couldn't run after hurting his hamstring at the combine, but rather than get lazy, he hit the weights extra hard, resulting in 14 extra pounds of weight in his upper body... the same scout said that Nicks has already lost 6 of those pounds (and that was a few days ago)... here's what NFL Draft Scout had to say about his work ethic and character:

Does that sound like a lazy player to y'all??

FWIW, at the combine he weighed in at his playing weight of 212 pounds... he was not out of shape then... so if he gained 14 pounds in like 3 weeks, then I find it easy to believe that he did it lifting; it's hard to eat 14 pounds onto your frame in that short a time... even Herm Johnson couldn't eat that much, LOL...
  14. dbair1967

dbair1967 Arch Defender

30,783 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree...I think the +14lbs might be somebody's fish story.

Look at the guy on film, he doesnt look the least bit out of shape to me.
  15. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He was one of the hardest workers on that UNC team.
  16. RESIN8

RESIN8 New Member

950 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    In regards to Bey he really never had a decent QB throwing him the ball. The Terps aren't really known for throwing the ball much. He does have value in terms of getting him in space.

Far from being a top 5 wr, but I'm sure some team will fall in love with his 40 time.
  17. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I would much rather have Nicks than Robiskie.

Robiskie, at best, is a solid number 2 in the NFL, imo. He will be over drafted, imo.

Nicks could be 1B or close to a 1, imo.
  18. silverbear

silverbear Semi-Official Loose Cannon

24,188 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't know if it was 14 pounds, but his agent more or less conceded that he was heavier at his Pro Day workout...

The weight gain supposedly happened after the combine... and again, it's really tough for anybody this side of Nate Newton to put on 14 pounds in that short a time...
  19. Biggems

Biggems White and Nerdy

11,820 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    judging by the history of tOSU WRs.....Robiskie seems like a safe gamble.
  20. PullMyFinger

PullMyFinger Old Fashioned

3,395 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Yep he'll be way over-drafted just because of that. So many teams draft for speed, regardless if the player has the talent or not (and Im not saying Bey doesnt have any)